Sex-Ed in 5th grade? (x-posted) (updated)

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, Human Growth and Development classes are going to start in December.
The parents got an information flier on it the other day. There will be 5 separate lessons. The first 2 class I'm fine with, they are about puberty, personal Hygiene and the basics of the reproductive system. But the last 3 I'm not so sure of .
3- the basic process of human reproduction,
4- STD,
5-"the benefits of abstinence from sexual intercourse"

Tonight is a preview session for the parents. Then you can choose to opt-out of any or all the courses.
Steven is just 10, a very young and immature 5th grader.
He just found out that Santa wasn't real this year and took it really had.

Are we pushing our kids too much?
What does your school teach?
What would you do?

Mattiez

Last edited by Mattiez; November 18th, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
November 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is one of the reasons I LOVE homeschooling. I think it's ridiculous. If our public schools taught that I didn't know but it is awful to me... that's waaaaaaaay too young & parents should broach the subject first. I'd go to the preview class & see how I felt.... probably opt out myself but even if you opt out do they really not teach your kids. Okay I know I tend to think "conspiracy theory" but I've heard too many stories about this sort of stuff & one that has stuck with me came from focus on the family. Of course that story was teaching about homosexuality & they didn't give parents the choice of opting out.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I think it could be good for them to learn earlier, kids are developing quicker these days. Girls are getting their periods a lot sooner than they did when I was younger. And my dd is 9 and came home last week telling me that her friend was talking about another girl at the school and I guess this girl was talking about having her period and talking about having sex. I think that since kids are doing these things earlier and for the sake of peer pressure its good for them to learn about it and things like that. I talk to my dd about it, since kids in her school brought it up, I wanted to make sure I give her my side of it. She kinda knows what a period is, and she knows a little about baby making, since we are ttcing she had a lot of questions. I dont candy coat anything, but I do make sure what I tell her is relavant for her age. My main goal is for her to not be a teen mom ( I was a teen mom, but Iwas also married before I got pg) and for her to graduate college and I hope to not have sex until she is married. I plan on doing the promise ring with her, or whatever they call it now, a promise that she will not have sex until shes married. I have heard of girls getting pg at 12 years old, its crazy. All I can do is layout the path I wish for them to walk, but in the end they will make their own choices. So far they are making good choices, and they know that some of the suff they hear at school for other kids, is not good.
November 16th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~InHisHands~ View Post
This is one of the reasons I LOVE homeschooling. I think it's ridiculous. If our public schools taught that I didn't know but it is awful to me... that's waaaaaaaay too young & parents should broach the subject first. I'd go to the preview class & see how I felt.... probably opt out myself but even if you opt out do they really not teach your kids. Okay I know I tend to think "conspiracy theory" but I've heard too many stories about this sort of stuff & one that has stuck with me came from focus on the family. Of course that story was teaching about homosexuality & they didn't give parents the choice of opting out.
That is one thing I would have an issue with, I have heard that some schools are going into the homosexuality thing, and teaching to accept other and how this is okay. I know we are suppose to accept people and not to judge, but I will not have my children tought that this practice is okay. They have seen this on tv and in public, 2 guys holding hands, 2 women olding hands, and they ask me about it, I tell them its not what God planned for us, it was adam and eve...nothing else, but I do tell them that we should accept them as people and not judge their ways.
November 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
I totally agree with Grace. I think it should be talked about earlier now than when I went school. Kids these are learning way too fast and I think they need to know about sex. I would go to to a preview session of it and see what it will be like. If you don't like it then I would suggest you talk to your 10 yr old regardless because kids talk and most likely they will tell him things and he probably will have questions about their conversations.

I however do not think that homosexuality should be discussed. I don't think its right for anyone to push for it to viewed as ok. I have gay brother and I have to accept it but I do NOT want my kids to think its ok for anyone to be gay. God didn't create Adam & Steve.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM
LisaW's Avatar Blessed Mama
My DS's "talk" is next week. It's only one day where they will be shown a video on "The New Me." I like that they are doing this the day before they leave for Thanksgiving break. It will give the kids a chance to go home and de-brief with their parents and maybe alleviate some of the chatter that the kids will have with each other about it. We've had a chat with him already about some of this, but I think health education is important and he'll learn a lot from his teacher as well. Our flyer was just an FYI. It didn't really say anything about opting out of it. But, again, it's more about puberty and less about the birds and the bees.

I think they've been talking about it a little already. I see some of his spelling words and weekly topics dealing with puberty and adolescents. I think they're easing them in a little before the big talk.

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
November 18th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I went to the information session the other night and was able to look through all the information that will be presented in the 5th grade classes. I have to say I am really surprised and truthfully shocked. The information seemed, to me, to be way over the 5th grade level.

When I went in, the place was divided into the boys and the girls sections and different information for each. I only went to the boy sections because that is what I have. The first 2 sessions were pretty much on target, they covered body parts, puberty, sexual development, hygiene and the similar. Even in these videos they went into, wet dreams, erections, the need for “stiff penis so that it can be inserted into the vagina” and sperm deposited. So basically they are teaching kids about intercourse, the hows and whys. This is NOT appropriate for a young 10 year old.

Next the course went on from there to talk about reproduction in WAY to complex terms. I am a Biology teacher. I have high school students who are still trying to figure out what the vas deferens is and is the egg fertilized in the ova duct or the uterus and how long does the egg travel for? All this and more was explained in detail. I commented that this was WAY too much information and it was going to be nothing but mumbo-jumbo to the kids. The answer I got was, It gets them used to hearing this kind of stuff so that when they get it the next couple years they might start to understand it. In other words it desensitizes them to sex. I don’t want my kids desensitized towards intercourse. (and yes this course was a lot about intercourse.)

Here comes the rant.
But here is the biggest shock of the night. The extremely low turn out of parents.(less than 12 I would guess) Fairfax Co school system is one of the largest school systems in the country. I know there were lots of meeting places around for different areas but this place should have been packed. Where are all the parents??? Where is the parental supervision or concern about your child’s education for the good or for the bad? I was talking to DH about it and he remarked that most parents were probably just relieved that the school were thing this so they didn’t have to. Sadly this is probably very true. All too many times I have seen parents that simply accept what is pushed at them, assuming that if the school system OKed or gave their stamp of approval then it must be best for their kids. Requiring no knowledge, insight or thought on their part.

So all this brings me around to say, that even though it is not the popular or socially acceptable route to take, we are opting out of some of the classes. These classes are not age appropriate and I really don’t care if all of his friends are going it. I guess I have never had a problem following the crowd.

To answer a question, someone mentioned, about puberty coming on earlier and earlier. This is correct. Some kids start hormone surges as early as 3ed grade. Do you know one of the leading factors that are helping to lower this age? Childhood obesity. Again this brings me right back to, where are the parents?

Whew, I think my rant is over. I am shocked if anyone make it this far.
Those are my thoughts.
Mattiez
November 19th, 2010, 07:48 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
In other words it desensitizes them to sex.
EXACTLY!

LOVED your rant, BTW! I agree, "Where are the parents?" But I also have to admit that I was one of those parents at one time. I thought that teachers & the school system & professionals know better about children & child development & what they should/should not learn than I do. I think it all boils down to a lost world. Their eyes are closed & they rely on men's wisdom rather than the Lord's. Well I have to say that I'm not like that anymore. God is opening my eyes & changing so much about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
Do you know one of the leading factors that are helping to lower this age? Childhood obesity. Again this brings me right back to, where are the parents?
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing here but am curious to know how/why you feel this way. I have a few friends who rant about this but attribute earlier puberty to all the hormones we put in our foods, especially meats. The steriods we give chickens to grow them so large that they're like super-chickens & then we slaughter them & eat those meats that have been treated with all these growth hormones. I understand this & it seems rational to me but obesity? I honestly don't know much about it.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 19th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
wow, that seems to be alot information about sex. I agree talking about it but thats way too much info. wow. Can you choose what they watch?

And sadly parents these days are too busy to see whats going on with their children and rather school & friends talk about it.

I don't want my babies to grow up. Why can't they stay innocent children forever?

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM
LisaW's Avatar Blessed Mama
Wow. I'm shocked. So thankful our is a simple video about changing bodies. That's way too much for a 10 year old, IMO. Wow.

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search