Do you think this wrong? Christmas Shopping Dilemma

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
Ok, in my family, I have 4 sisters, one brother, mom & dad, BIL and 2 nieces and nephews. Do you think its wrong that I buy one gift from my family and one for my niece & nephews?

One of my sisters, says I am wrong for not buying anyone particular presents. But to my defense, I hate Christmas shopping from my family. Two of my sisters are teenagers who are very picky. Last year they gave me a list and nothing was under $30. I am sorry but I cant afford to buy a $30 present for everyone. They aren't satisfied with a little simple present. See DH family, I can get away with buying a shirt that is on sale for $5 for church and they will wear it proudly and say thank you. The first words out of my family are "wow, this was on the sale rack Jcpenny" Who cares, its a gift. So now one of my sisters is making me feel guilty because I refuse to buy individual presents. I said to her, I would probably buy a food/cookie basket and thats it.

So what would do?

By the way, I hate Christmas sometimes because everyone always expects a present! I hate the fact that the true meaning of Christmas is about presents half of the time!!!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 19th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mami View Post

By the way, I hate Christmas sometimes because everyone always expects a present! I hate the fact that the true meaning of Christmas is about presents half of the time!!!

We have a very large family so what we do is when we are all gathered on Thanksgiving night we write all the adults name in a pieces of paper and put it in a box then each person gets a piece of paper out from the box and that's who they will buy a present for but if you get dh or dw you have to put it back and try again. The spending limit is $30. For the children we do try to buy each child a present but not expensive ones. The food/cookie basket idea is good too
November 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
For DH's family we draw names at the beginning of the year (sometimes right after Christmas if we're on top of things). We either draw individuals or couples (alternating years). Spending limit of $50, but preferably something homemade. It winds up really cool. We all buy gifts for the niece & nephew.

My family we buy for niece & nephews, but only buy for adults if we're going to actually be spending holidays with them. This year we are buying for couples.

We did all of the adult Christmas shopping (and even the oldest niece) at the dollar store yesterday. The toddlers get stuff from Walmart/Kohl's because we cannot afford to spend a ton on anyone, but we prefer to make sure they get nice gifts.

*hugs* I'm very sorry that your family is so picky. I think that the gift basket is a great idea.
November 19th, 2010, 02:21 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I completely understand & think what you want to do is perfectly acceptable. I also love the idea of drawing names... actually thats what we did at my granparents growing up & it works well b/c if you have to buy for like 10 people, even at $10 a piece it adds up.

My family are all getting homemade gifts this year... artwork, frames that I paint, etc.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
I wish they would draw names but they don't like that because then that means only one gift for everyone.

I always get presents for my nieces and nephew and my sister never gives my kids anything not even at their birthday and I always do.

I think I am baking cookies/candies and making them a goodie bag and thats it for each.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 20th, 2010, 09:07 AM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a large family that is spread out all over the country. We do gift cards now. One per family and let them get what they want with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search