Random Christmas Thought

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM
AndyBee's Avatar Super Mommy
While reading a "Are you in the Christmas Spirit" thread, many of the posters said yes, but that they aren't religious. It got me thinking, would Christmas still be as huge as it is if Santa and all the secular parts were removed? Do you think we would still see decorations, carolers, and the such? I would like to think that Christmas would still be a huge celebration.

It seems odd to me that the "Christmas spirit" does not refer to Christ. In fact, it made me rather sad. I wanted to put on a Christmas movie for our little one, and realized that even we didn't have a religious movie. So I went out to buy one. She's three this year, and I want to make sure she knows WHY we celebrate Christmas.

Anyway, just a random thought.

Special thanks to AlexAiden Mommy for my precious siggy
November 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Interesting question but sadly I don't think it would be as HUGE honestly. I wish it would be but I doubt that it would be realistically.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
I tend to think Christmas would be forgotten. Its sad that Christmas isn't about Christ anymore.

I don't keep too many holidays movies but I need to get one this year about nativity story.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM
AndyBee's Avatar Super Mommy
"The Nativity Story" is a great one, but not really entertaining for little ones.

Special thanks to AlexAiden Mommy for my precious siggy
November 20th, 2010, 09:03 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The Toy That Saved Christmas (from Veggie Tales) is a good one.

November 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with you thats why i let my kids know that Christmas is about Jesus not about Santa. This is a pic i like
November 21st, 2010, 02:26 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitz View Post
I agree with you thats why i let my kids know that Christmas is about Jesus not about Santa. This is a pic i like
I have that same pic but with a light background!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 21st, 2010, 05:30 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
Aww...I like that pic.

Amanda, I also like the Nativity Story but I don't think my son will like it since its "real people". he doesn't like "real people" movies.

Dawn, thanks for suggestion of veggie tale. My son is starting like them now. I might get that one.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to agree, I don't think Christmas would be nearly as "big" without Santa.

One thing that I found ironic was when I lived in the Middle East, they celebrated Christmas to some extent. But it was more centered around just giving small gifts to people you love to let them know you love them. I found it much easier there to focus on the Christ at Christmas because Santa was really not in the picture.

So for me it was easier to keep the true meaning of Christmas in the Middle East than it is here the US. Go figure that one.
Mattiez
November 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM
Azmomto4's Avatar Veteran
Veggie Tales Star of Bethlehem is another really good dvd about the true meaning of Christmas, and little ones do love their veggies...(tales that is, lol!)

I find it very sad that a lot of people think Christmas is just a money maker for the stores...they never realize that all those gifts are never going to make them truly happy. I make sure I say "merry Christmas" to everyone I see, too. Most people appreciate it instead of Happy Holidays.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search