"Meaning of the Candy Cane" Bible Lesson

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
These are little lessons I guess about Christmas things that we may not think has any Christian value but they actually do. I will be adding one every couple days. Great lesson for kids.

The candy cane is a beautiful Christmas object lesson with which to share the true meaning of Christmas. Hold up a candy cane and describe it.

Based on observations, everything has something to say about Jesus Christ.

"the white" - Jesus was pure and holy; He was without sin.

Hebrews 4:15: For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin. "

"The white" is also a picture of how God washes our sins away and makes us white as snow when we trust in Jesus as our Saviour.

Isaiah 1:18: ""Come now, let us reason together," says the Lord. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool."

"the red stripes" - the red, of course, is a picture of the blood Jesus shed for each of us; the red stripes depict the stripes on His back as He was beaten.

Isaiah 53:5: "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. "

"the hardness of the candy" - the hardness represents that Jesus is our "Rock"; if we build our lives upon Him, they will be secure and lasting

Luke 6:38: "He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. "

Ephesians 2:20: "built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone."

1 Peter 2:6: "For in Scripture it says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."

"the candy cane's shape" - the candy cane is shaped like a shepherd's staff; the Bible calls Jesus our Good Shepherd who watches over us and cares for us; we are called the sheep of His pasture.

John 10:11: "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."

Psalm 100:3: "Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture."

"upside down candy cane" - if you turn the candy cane upside down though, it makes a J for Jesus!

Matthew 1:21: "She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."

The Candy was invented by a man in Indiana with sole purpose to represent to symbolize Jesus.
Unfortunately, the candy became known as a Candy Cane, a meaningless decoration now to be seen at Christmas time. But the truth is that there is still meaning to those who "have eyes to see and ears to hear".

Hope you enjoyed!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

Last edited by Mami; November 29th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
November 29th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I didn't know that. It's very interesting indeed!

November 29th, 2010, 12:58 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I just told my kids about this a few days ago, and even hubby was fascinated.
November 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
I remember that from when I was teaching Sunday school.
December 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never knew that here either... COOL!!!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
December 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
for those who havent seen it!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search