Challenge #8A The Real Christmas Quiz

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
This is a True or False Quiz however if its false, please explain why you believe it is. You have till Saturday, Dec 4th to take this quiz. You will get 3 points for each correct answer. And remember no cheating, answer honestly!

1: The Bible says that Jesus was born in December?
False – The Bible does not mention when Jesus was born. The most likely date is not 25th December, with the best evidence pointing towards the end of September or early October. The shepherds were still tending to their flocks in the fields, but practice was that the shepherds would only keep their flocks in the fields from April to October, taking them back home to shelter them over the winter months.

2: Jesus was not born in 0 A.D.?
True – Jesus could not have been born in the year 0 A.D. as it doesn't actually exist historically - our calendar jumps straight from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D. with no intervening year zero. Also, Dionysius was commissioned to establish the year of Christ's birth and due to insufficient historical data he arrived at a date which was a few years late. The birth of Christ is generally accepted to be around 5 or 6 B.C. as Herod died in 4 B.C.

3: We are told that Mary rode into Bethlehem on a donkey?
False – Although perfectly possible that she rode upon a donkey, the Bible says nothing about how Mary entered Bethlehem and there are various other possibilities. The Bible only says that she came with Joseph.

4: Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life?
True – Jesus was an Israelite (Jew) and therefore would have been circumcised according to the law of Moses on the 8th day. (Luke 2:21)

5: Early Christians celebrated the birth of Jesus?
False – There is no mention of either the apostles or the early Christians celebrating the birth of Jesus. There is no trace of Christmas until it was first mentioned by the Roman Church in 336 A.D.

6: The barn animals miraculously spoke the night Jesus was born?
False – The barn animals talking is an ancient myth that has absolutely no biblical grounding whatsoever.

7: God is the real father of Jesus?
True
– Joseph was the stepfather of Jesus, but God is his real father.

8: Jesus always celebrated his birthday?
False – The idea of celebrating birthdays is a pagan one and neither the Jews, the apostles nor Jesus celebrated them.

9: Micah foretold that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem?
True – The prophet Micah prophesied that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem , five hundred years before the event. (Micah 5:2)

10: Mary, mother of Jesus, did not remain a virgin for the rest of her life?
True – Mary went on to have other children with her husband Joseph. (Mark 6:3, Matt 13:55-56)

11: God told people to remember the birth of his son?
False – We are told to remember Jesus' death, not his birth. (1 Cor 11:23-26)

12: The angels told the shepherds that they should worship the baby Jesus?
False – The angels did not tell the shepherds to worship Jesus, the shepherds merely went to ‘see' the baby Jesus and when the shepherds returned they were praising and worshiping God, not the baby Jesus. (Luke 2:15, 20)

13: The angel said “Peace on earth to all men”?
False – The angel said “on earth peace, goodwill toward men”. The word ‘peace' from a biblical sense does not mean the absence of war or strife between people, but rather a ‘peace with God', a peace that Jesus was to make with God at his sacrifice. Goodwill looks back to the Hebrew ratzah , which is often associated with acceptable sacrifice, thus ‘goodwill toward men' means reconciliation through the greatest of all Days of Atonement – Jesus' sacrifice. The alternative textual reading of: ‘to men of goodwill', means the same thing: ‘peace to men who know themselves reconciled to God through Jesus'. (Luke 2:14)

14: The wise men were present at the birth site of Jesus?
False – Almost every depiction of the nativity scene shows well dressed wise men, surrounded by shepherds, presenting their gifts to Jesus while he was in the manger. The Bible truth is very different for they clearly did not visit Jesus while he was still lying in the manger (Matthew 2:11). They met in a house and Jesus was a young child. It is possible that he was walking and talking by the time they reached him. Herod ordered the killing of all the children up to two years old for he knew that Jesus could have been nearly two years old by then. (Matthew 2:16)

15: We are told that the angels sang at the announcement of Jesus’ birth?
False – The popular Christmas carol “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” may suggest they did, but the Bible doesn't say anything specific about the angels singing. (Luke 2:13)

16: The Bible tells us that three kings riding on camels visited Jesus?
False – The Bible does mention magi coming to visit Jesus, but does not say how many or that they were kings riding camels. There were at least two as the word magi is plural, but there could have been many more. The Bible simply mentions three gifts, but does not imply that there were three of them or that they were kings. There is no mention of camels either. (Read Matthew 2)

17: Mary gave birth on the night that she arrived in Bethlehem?
False – The Bible would suggest otherwise (Luke 2:6). Arriving in town well before her due date would make more sense.

18: The star led the wise men straight to Jesus?
False – The star led them first to King Herod, after which they saw the star again leading them to Jesus, but they were two separate sightings of the star and not continuous (see Matthew 2:2, 9)

19: The tradition of giving presents at Christmas comes from the wise men presenting gifts?
False - In pre-Christian Rome, the emperors compelled their most despised citizens to bring offerings and gifts during the Saturnalia festival (in December) and Kalends (in January). Later, this ritual expanded to include gift-giving among the general populace. The Catholic Church gave this custom a Christian flavour by re-rooting it in the supposed gift-giving of Saint Nicholas.

20: 25th December was originally the date of a Roman festival?

True
- The original significance of 25th December is that it was a well-known festival day celebrating the annual return of the sun. 21st December is the winter solstice (shortest day of the year and thus a key date on the calendar), but 25th December is the first day that ancients could clearly note that the days were definitely getting longer and the sunlight was returning. On this day the Romans worshipped the ‘Unconquered Sun' or Sun god.
The date for Christmas was chosen by the Roman Catholic Church. Because Rome dominated most of the "Christian" world for centuries, the date became tradition throughout most of Christendom.
So, why was 25th December chosen to remember Jesus Christ's birth? Since no one knows the day of his birth, the Roman Catholic Church felt free to choose this date. The Church wished to replace the pagan festival with a Christian holiday. The psychology was that is easier to take away an unholy (but traditional) festival from the population, when you can replace it with a good one.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

Last edited by Mami; December 9th, 2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Answers
November 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. The Bible says that Jesus was born in December? False, It doesn't say. We assume it was during time of fair weather because of the traveling for taxation that was required of everyone.

2: Jesus was not born in 0 A.D.? True,the calender is a bit off.

3: We are told that Mary rode into Bethlehem on a donkey?False, just a guess.

4: Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life? That was the tradition, and he kept all the laws and customs but he could well still be in manger at that time. So I will take a stab and say False.

5: Early Christians celebrated the birth of Jesus? False, I don't think they did because of the traditional middle eastern culture of not celebrating birthdays.

6: The barn animals miraculously spoke the night Jesus was born? Nice story but False.

7: God is the real father of Jesus? True

8: Jesus always celebrated his birthday? Not sure. I know the Middle Eastern culture doesn't traditionally celebrate birthdays, So False.

9: Micah foretold that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem? I would have to look that one up but I will guess, True.

10: Mary, mother of Jesus, did not remain a virgin for the rest of her life? she had other children so true

11: God told people to remember the birth of his son? False, we are instructed to remember the death, burial and resurrection.

12: The angels told the shepherds that they should worship the baby Jesus? I would say False because the angles didn't instruct the shepherds to go worship rather told them that Jesus was born and where to find him.

13: The angel said “Peace on earth to all men”? I will go with True, sounds good.

14: The wise men were present at the birth site of Jesus? False, I believe they came month/years latter.

15: We are told that the angels sang at the announcement of Jesus’ birth? I will go with False because I am not sure if they sang or said.

16: The Bible tells us that three kings riding on camels visited Jesus? False, Wise men from the East. They didn't have to be kings and they may not have had camels.

17: Mary gave birth on the night that she arrived in Bethlehem? Don't know.

18: The star led the wise men straight to Jesus? I would say False, The star led them to Kind Herod first, (or maybe they just got off track)

19: The tradition of giving presents at Christmas comes from the wise men presenting gifts? True

20: 25th December was originally the date of a Roman festival? True

Mattiez
November 30th, 2010, 10:49 AM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
1: The Bible says that Jesus was born in December? False, the Bible doesn't tell us when exactly he was born.

2: Jesus was not born in 0 A.D.? True

3: We are told that Mary rode into Bethlehem on a donkey? False

4: Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life? I'll say True because it was religious tradition

5: Early Christians celebrated the birth of Jesus? False, they didn't know to celebrate it

6: The barn animals miraculously spoke the night Jesus was born? False, the Bible says nothing about them speaking

7: God is the real father of Jesus? Yes

8: Jesus always celebrated his birthday? False, how do we know?

9: Micah foretold that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem? True

10: Mary, mother of Jesus, did not remain a virgin for the rest of her life? True

11: God told people to remember the birth of his son? True

12: The angels told the shepherds that they should worship the baby Jesus? True

13: The angel said “Peace on earth to all men”? False

14: The wise men were present at the birth site of Jesus? False, not at the time of his birth

15: We are told that the angels sang at the announcement of Jesus’ birth? True

16: The Bible tells us that three kings riding on camels visited Jesus? True

17: Mary gave birth on the night that she arrived in Bethlehem? False, it just says that she gave birth while they were there

18: The star led the wise men straight to Jesus? True

19: The tradition of giving presents at Christmas comes from the wise men presenting gifts? True

December 1st, 2010, 01:55 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Not looking at Kristen's answers and just going to guess any I don't know.

1: The Bible says that Jesus was born in December? False

3: We are told that Mary rode into Bethlehem on a donkey? True

4: Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life? Hm no idea, False?

5: Early Christians celebrated the birth of Jesus? Unknown, False?

6: The barn animals miraculously spoke the night Jesus was born? False

8: Jesus always celebrated his birthday? False

9: Micah foretold that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem? False?

10: Mary, mother of Jesus, did not remain a virgin for the rest of her life? True

11: God told people to remember the birth of his son? True?

13: The angel said “Peace on earth to all men”? So the songs say, I'll go with, True

14: The wise men were present at the birth site of Jesus? False

15: We are told that the angels sang at the announcement of Jesus’ birth? True

17: Mary gave birth on the night that she arrived in Bethlehem? True

18: The star led the wise men straight to Jesus? False

19: The tradition of giving presents at Christmas comes from the wise men presenting gifts? True?

December 2nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
1: The Bible says that Jesus was born in December? False i dont think it says in what month Jesus was born.

3: We are told that Mary rode into Bethlehem on a donkey? True

4: Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life? True

5: Early Christians celebrated the birth of Jesus? False i dont think they knew when his birthday was.

6: The barn animals miraculously spoke the night Jesus was born? False lol that would be strange and scary.

8: Jesus always celebrated his birthday? False I don't remember reading that in the bible.

9: Micah foretold that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem? True

11: God told people to remember the birth of his son? False I think we need to remember that he died for us.

13: The angel said “Peace on earth to all men”? True

14: The wise men were present at the birth site of Jesus? True

15: We are told that the angels sang at the announcement of Jesus’ birth? False but i like to think they did.

17: Mary gave birth on the night that she arrived in Bethlehem? True

18: The star led the wise men straight to Jesus? False first to herold then to Jesus

_______
December 9th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiez View Post
1. the bible says that jesus was born in december? false, it doesn't say. We assume it was during time of fair weather because of the traveling for taxation that was required of everyone. correct

2: jesus was not born in 0 a.d.? True,the calender is a bit off. correct

3: we are told that mary rode into bethlehem on a donkey?false, just a guess. correct

4: jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life? that was the tradition, and he kept all the laws and customs but he could well still be in manger at that time. So i will take a stab and say false. wrong

5: Early christians celebrated the birth of jesus? False, i don't think they did because of the traditional middle eastern culture of not celebrating birthdays. correct

6: the barn animals miraculously spoke the night jesus was born? nice story but false. correct

7: god is the real father of jesus? true correct

8: jesus always celebrated his birthday? not sure. I know the middle eastern culture doesn't traditionally celebrate birthdays, so false. correct

9: Micah foretold that jesus would be born in bethlehem? I would have to look that one up but i will guess, true. correct

10: mary, mother of jesus, did not remain a virgin for the rest of her life? she had other children so true correct

11: god told people to remember the birth of his son? false, we are instructed to remember the death, burial and resurrection. correct

12: the angels told the shepherds that they should worship the baby jesus? i would say false because the angles didn't instruct the shepherds to go worship rather told them that jesus was born and where to find him. correct

13: the angel said “peace on earth to all men”? i will go with true, sounds good. wrong

14: The wise men were present at the birth site of jesus? False, i believe they came month/years latter. correct

15: we are told that the angels sang at the announcement of jesus’ birth? i will go with false because i am not sure if they sang or said. correct

16: the bible tells us that three kings riding on camels visited jesus? False, wise men from the east. They didn't have to be kings and they may not have had camels. correct

17: mary gave birth on the night that she arrived in bethlehem? Don't know. ??

18: the star led the wise men straight to jesus? i would say false, the star led them to kind herod first, (or maybe they just got off track) correct

19: The tradition of giving presents at christmas comes from the wise men presenting gifts? True wrong

20: 25th december was originally the date of a roman festival? True correct

mattiez
16 correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen_at_the_lake View Post
1: The bible says that jesus was born in december? false, the bible doesn't tell us when exactly he was born. correct

2: Jesus was not born in 0 a.d.? true correct

3: We are told that mary rode into bethlehem on a donkey? false correct

4: Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life? i'll say true because it was religious tradition correct

5: Early christians celebrated the birth of jesus? false, they didn't know to celebrate it correct

6: The barn animals miraculously spoke the night jesus was born? false, the bible says nothing about them speaking correct

7: God is the real father of jesus? yes correct

8: Jesus always celebrated his birthday? false, how do we know? correct

9: Micah foretold that jesus would be born in bethlehem? true correct

10: Mary, mother of jesus, did not remain a virgin for the rest of her life? true correct

11: God told people to remember the birth of his son? true wrong

12: The angels told the shepherds that they should worship the baby jesus? true wrong

13: The angel said “peace on earth to all men”? false correct

14: The wise men were present at the birth site of jesus? false, not at the time of his birth correct

15: We are told that the angels sang at the announcement of jesus’ birth? true wrong

16: The bible tells us that three kings riding on camels visited jesus? true wrong

17: Mary gave birth on the night that she arrived in bethlehem? false, it just says that she gave birth while they were there correct

18: The star led the wise men straight to jesus? true wrong

19: The tradition of giving presents at christmas comes from the wise men presenting gifts? true wrong

20: 25th december was originally the date of a roman festival? true
correct
14 correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy*angel*warrior*muse View Post
not looking at kristen's answers and just going to guess any i don't know.

1: The bible says that jesus was born in december? false
correct

2: Jesus was not born in 0 a.d.? true
correct

3: We are told that mary rode into bethlehem on a donkey? true wrong

4: Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life? hm no idea, false? wrong

5: Early christians celebrated the birth of jesus? unknown, false?
correct

6: The barn animals miraculously spoke the night jesus was born? false
correct

7: God is the real father of jesus? true
correct

8: Jesus always celebrated his birthday? false
correct

9: Micah foretold that jesus would be born in bethlehem? false? wrong

10: Mary, mother of jesus, did not remain a virgin for the rest of her life? true
correct

11: God told people to remember the birth of his son? true? wrong

12: The angels told the shepherds that they should worship the baby jesus? true wrong

13: The angel said “peace on earth to all men”? so the songs say, i'll go with, true wrong

14: The wise men were present at the birth site of jesus? false
correct

15: We are told that the angels sang at the announcement of jesus’ birth? true wrong

16: The bible tells us that three kings riding on camels visited jesus? true
wrong 17: Mary gave birth on the night that she arrived in bethlehem? true wrong

18: The star led the wise men straight to jesus? false
wrong

19: The tradition of giving presents at christmas comes from the wise men presenting gifts? true?
wrong

20: 25th december was originally the date of a roman festival? true
correct
9 correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitz View Post
1: The bible says that jesus was born in december? False i dont think it says in what month jesus was born. correct

2: Jesus was not born in 0 a.d.? True correct

3: We are told that mary rode into bethlehem on a donkey? True wrong

4: Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life? True correct

5: Early christians celebrated the birth of jesus? False i dont think they knew when his birthday was. correct

6: The barn animals miraculously spoke the night jesus was born? False lol that would be strange and scary. correct

7: God is the real father of jesus? True correct

8: Jesus always celebrated his birthday? False i don't remember reading that in the bible. correct

9: Micah foretold that jesus would be born in bethlehem? True correct

10: Mary, mother of jesus, did not remain a virgin for the rest of her life? True correct

11: God told people to remember the birth of his son? False i think we need to remember that he died for us. correct

12: The angels told the shepherds that they should worship the baby jesus? True wrong

13: The angel said “peace on earth to all men”? True wrong

14: The wise men were present at the birth site of jesus? True wrong

15: We are told that the angels sang at the announcement of jesus’ birth? False but i like to think they did. correct

16: The bible tells us that three kings riding on camels visited jesus? True wrong

17: Mary gave birth on the night that she arrived in bethlehem? True wrong

18: The star led the wise men straight to jesus? False first to herold then to jesus correct

19: The tradition of giving presents at christmas comes from the wise men presenting gifts? True wrong

20: 25th december was originally the date of a roman festival? True correct
_______
14 correct!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search