Challenge #9 Share a Recipe!

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
Here is a easy one with no deadline. 20 PTS

Share a Christmas recipe that you love.

And don't forget the new December Chat thread is going up today and every post is worth 2 points. The Nov Chat thread, whoever posted in it and is in the challenge, on Thurs I will be tallying points.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

Last edited by Mami; December 9th, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
December 4th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Glitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It has been a tradition to eat tamales on Christmas eve. Yum-o!
Tamales Recipe

Authentic Mexican Tamales

Mexican tamales (tamal is the Mexican "singular" use of the word) are packets of corn dough (masa) with a savory or sweet filling and typically wrapped in corn husks or banana leaves. The history of tamales dates back as early as 5000 BC. Popular varietes include fillings of pork, beef, green chili, chicken or beans.

Ingredients
5 lbs. lean pork or beef, cooked and shredded
6 to 7 lbs. fresh masa
1 1/2 lbs lard
1 tbls. salt
1 1/2 pts. red chili sauce
1 bundle oujas (corn shucks)
Directions

To make tamales, cook meat by boiling in a large covered pot with enough water to cover completely. Add salt to taste and slow boil till completely done. Cool meat and save broth. When meat has cooled, shred and mix in the chili sauce

Corn Shucks:
To prepare the corn shucks ( outer husks), soak them in a sink or large pot of warm water for about 2 hours or until soft. Gently separate without tearing.

Masa:
(make masa by hand or with mixer) Mix the masa, lard , salt and enough broth to make a smooth paste. Beat till a small amount (1 tsp) will float in a cup of cool water. Spread masa (1/8 to 1/4 inch thick layer, or to preference) on ouja, add a small amount of meat and roll up. Fold up ends of ouja and place(fold down) on a rack in a pan deep enough to steam. Add 1 to 2 inches water, cover with a tight fitting lid and steam about 1 1/2 hours. (a cloth can be used under the lid to make a tighter fit)

Many variations of ingredients can be used in making tamales. You can use a combination of beef and pork, use chicken or even fried beans. One or two olives may be added to the center or try adding a few raisins.
This recipe will make 4 to 5 dozen tamales

My girls 1296
December 4th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds delicious. This is way out of my range of experience. I think I will have to get very adventerous one day and try them. Do you get corn husks and lard at the grocery story???
Mattiez
December 5th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
I believe the corn husks are around produce section. I have seen them in Walmart there.
Now lard, I believe you find it in the grocery store but it might be in Hispanic section. I have seen it named as Manteca which is lard in Spanish.

Have fun!

I think I am going to try these tamales. I have never made them from scratch but my grandma (well DH's gma) makes them really good. We aren't Mexican but she also makes them on Christmas Eve, too!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

December 8th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is my recipe.
I love doing this with the kids. Super simple and fun but don't try to eat them.

BREAD DOUGH ORNAMENTS

2 c. flour (not self-rising)
1 c. salt
1 c. water

Mix flour and salt. Add water gradually. Knead 7-10 minutes. Roll out and cut with cookie cutters or use like clay to shape Christmas ornaments. Bake at 325 degrees until light brown. Cool and paint or shellac with orange shellac. Remember to pierce a hole for hanger before baking.

Mattiez

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search