kind of OT im here from GS

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
shanise.robertson's Avatar IAmOneWithSupremeReality
Send a message via MSN to shanise.robertson Send a message via Yahoo to shanise.robertson Send a message via Skype™ to shanise.robertson
hi my name is Shanise (21), DH charles (49), dd zaikiya (4), ds Charles (2). i am here visiting from GS because i wanted to get your opinions on something my friend said.

my friend who also believes in the paranormal doesnt believe in tarot cards and pendulums she said that it is a counterfeit of the holy spirit. she said the holy spirit was sent here to guide us.is she right (about the tarot cards)? i mean i believe in god but i believe in this too so is the sacrilegious? i am posting this in both the christian board and the GS board because i want both sides of the story.

Thank you ~Nicole~ for my beautiful siggy
(IF YOU WANT TO SEE GOD LAUGH TELL HIM YOUR PLANS)Make a pregnancy ticker
December 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally believe in each persons right to interpret their beliefs in their own way, so I think if you believe that the holy spirit guides things such as that there is nothing wrong with it, but I could be overlooking something as well.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
December 3rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
shanise.robertson's Avatar IAmOneWithSupremeReality
Send a message via MSN to shanise.robertson Send a message via Yahoo to shanise.robertson Send a message via Skype™ to shanise.robertson
i also feel like the holy spirit could be guiding me that way to. my mother is very much in the church told me that having visions of things before they happen and dreams is from God but that using tarot cards and stuff for money is wrong she said i can do it for fun but nothing more and thats all i was doing anyways but i just wanted to know. thank you for your comment.

Thank you ~Nicole~ for my beautiful siggy
(IF YOU WANT TO SEE GOD LAUGH TELL HIM YOUR PLANS)Make a pregnancy ticker
December 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and I am glad you dropped over to the board.
I plan on responding to your post but when I have a little more time to think about what I want to say and not give you a half-baked answer because of lack of time.
Mattiez
December 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
Hi shanise, I really hope you dont take offence to my post but this is just my thoughts. I dont believe in reading cards or having someone else read them for you, I also dont believe in pendulums. I do believe in prayer, and that the Lord will show you things you are suppose to know when you need to know them, rather through dreams or visions. I have not heard or read anything in bible about someone getting cards read to them. I think using things like that opens doors to others things that we dont want to deal with, yes I am sure that sometimes the cards or whatever you may be asking a question may give the right answer, but it doesnt mean its from anything good. I am very careful with what I get into, even though I have been tempted before, with my miscarriages and so on, I really wanted to know if I will ever have a baby with my dh, and thought about contacting one of these card readers, but I know that I need to put my faith in the Lord and not in the cards. I also dont beleive in praying to angels, I feel that is worshiping something other than my Lord, and that is no good. So I have to agree with your friend and your mom, I used to have visions pretty often, and it was never expected. It was just something that happened, I dont have them as much anymore, and it wasnt like i could ask a question and see the answer, I was shown things i needed to see at the time i needed to see it. my mom has dreams, and her dreams do happen. I also beleive in the paranormal, but I think I have different thoughts on why we have ghost here than most people. Anywas, I hope I answered your question, and again I wasnt trying to upset you, I think your a great person, and Im still praying for you bfp very soon.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
December 4th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
What a kind and thoughtful answer.

Just a little point here, because I work with angels a lot - usually, people who work with angels don't pray to or worship angels. Angels are viewed as higher beings than ourselves who can assist us and we simply ask them for help. Just a whisper or a thought. When I pray, I pray to God, though I prefer the term Universe. I don't need an answer to this I just thought I'd point it out.

December 4th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
Everyones got their own idea on what is what I suppose, When I pray I pray to Jesus only, and ask him for help or to show me my path. But thanks for pointing that out.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
December 4th, 2010, 07:33 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Everyones got their own idea on what is what I suppose, When I pray I pray to Jesus only, and ask him for help or to show me my path. But thanks for pointing that out.
I didn't really take the card thing as a way of praying to anyone else (just that she felt it was guided by The Spirit). I guess I saw it as having belief in something else didn't mean that Jesus wasn't your Savior and guide. Maybe I misinterpreted the original post.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
December 4th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
I actually prayed all day yest and last night for an right answer because I didnt want to be hurtful.

IMO, I don't believe in tarot cards IMO are taking away from patiently waiting an answer for God. I don't believe anyone or anything for that matter can tell the future. The future is supposed to be unknown because God will show you or guide in the right path. I will write more later because I have to attend kids right now.
Here are some bible verses I found.

"The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so."Deuteronomy 18:14

"Do not practice divination or sorcery" Leviticus 19:26

Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I am against your magic charms with which you ensnare people like birds and I will tear them from your arms; I will set free the people that you ensnare like birds Ezekiel 13:20

"The idols speak deceit, diviners see visions that lie; they tell dreams that are false, they give comfort in vain. Therefore the people wander like sheep oppressed for lack of a shepherd" Zechariah 10:2

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

December 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hi Shanise.
I am glad you dropped by the board.

Well, the kids are finally in bed and the house is quiet so I just wanted to add my thought to your question. First off I hope I don't offend you. I am certainly not meaning to. You seem like a very honest, open person, looking for some answers.

I personally don't believe there is any special powers given to tarot cards or pendulums, any more than we project on them ourselves. They are simply cards, stamped out in a factory, by the thousands. And that is neither good nor bad.
I think the problem is in what or who do we put our faith in? When a person start looking to something or someone else to provide answers for them. When they start believing in what comes up in a draw of the cards is actual and real and has an physical manifestation in their own life or the lives of others, then that is faith, then you are putting your faith in pieces of paper made by men. God is so much bigger and grander and can do far more than any paper can do for you.

Anything you can ask the cards you can also ask God. I, personally have asked God some questions that I felt sure he was going to just strike me dead even to dare to ask him. But you know what, He didn't and his answers are filled with love and compassion and given to you in a way that you can understand them. If you believe that God talks through the cards then, would you really want to limit God to a handfull of paper?

I do believe in God and angles and demons. I have had far too many experiences with them to say otherwise. When we start putting our faith in other things than God we leave ourselves an open stomping ground for what ever else may come along.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I hope this helps. Sorry if I can't explain it too well. Just talk to God about it I am sure He can give a much better answer than I can.
Mattiez
December 5th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
Ok I am back!

I think Mattiez had a lot of good points there. Why would you depend of a deck of cards to seek an answer. It is pretty much putting your faith in the cards instead of God. When I need something or just need someone to talk, I talk to God to seek to answers. If I limit him by talking through cards not may lie then I think I don't have much faith in our God. God is powerful and through prayers and dedication you will receive your answer through him.

I would pray to God and ask him for guidance for this.

Also please don't feel that you don't belong here and hope none of these responses offended you. You are always welcomed here to share or ask anything.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

December 5th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Glitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tarots are man made but the bible is also man made, yes we use it as a tool to learn about God but maybe tarots can also be a tool to get answers. I have read somewhere that early christians used to use tarots too. Can being able to read tarots be a gift of the Holy Spirit? If it is being used in the right way Acts 1-8, John 16:13, Acts 2:17 idk i am also praying for guidance about this.

My girls 1296
December 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Shanise! I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond until now (I've been away over the weekend) but it sounds like the other ladies have answered how I would have answered anyway.

I don't believe in them & agree with Mattiez in the question, "what are you putting your faith in... cards or God Himself?" And Grace's point about practicing this can open the door to other things... things we don't need to be involved with, things that lead us away from God & can hurt our relationship with Him. He wants us to love Him & Him only with all our heart & not worship idols. And you may not be worshiping idols but if you are putting your faith in these cards above Him then you are worshiping them & not Him.

Glitz, the Bible is God-breathed, not man made. The Bible is the infallible Word of God Himself & everything in it was put in it by Christ through men. He spoke by the Holy Spirit & led men to write what He told them to to create the Bible. It is His love letter to His children so I don't view the Bible as man-made. And as far as the gifts of the Spirit including tarot card reading... I don't believe this is the case since all the gifts are actually listed in the Bible & tarot cards isn't in that list. (1 Corinthians 12 & Romans 12) Anyway, these are my thoughts according to the Bible.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
December 7th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Ok, God made man. So God gave man the words to write for the bible. Gods fingers wrote the ten comandments on mount sinai on two tablets while Moses stood by. If you realy read the bible you see that each part has a name, such as Job, Joshua, Peter, Mark and so on. How do you think that came about? God told these men to write it down, word for word what God had said. Revelations was by John, written by what he was shown and told.
On the start of revelation it states that The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John.
Now these men were having dreams, visions and God told them things to write down for us to learn and understand. I have dreams which have come true, and yes I know they were by God. What these men saw in their dreams, visions was alot to them. They seen things we have now. Like an airplane, can you imagine what it would have been to them to see that? Mostlikely very terrifying to them since they did not know about those planes. Can you imagine seeing something from the future and you are scared bcause you have not ever seen sonmething like that? The bible is our guide to God, on how we should be, to be perfected and live a good life with God in it. God is all our Father, he created all of us, he knew us way long ago. Do to translations from languages to languages some of the words have changed, but it's still the same bible from years and years ago. And besides, if you realy want to understand God and read the bible, than God will give you understanding of it in his time. Little at a time so you can understand what it is about. The bible is a guide to a better life, to understand others, how to love one another, on how to give and receive, how to work, on how to raise a child, on how to be a wife and or husband, on how to be a friend, I could go on and on. Also the bible to me is a never ending book, I find new answers and understanding each time when I open it. So in a nutshell, God is the author of the bible.
December 7th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Tarots are man made but the bible is also man made, yes we use it as a tool to learn about God but maybe tarots can also be a tool to get answers. I have read somewhere that early christians used to use tarots too. Can being able to read tarots be a gift of the Holy Spirit? If it is being used in the right way Acts 1-8, John 16:13, Acts 2:17 idk i am also praying for guidance about this.

Let's see if I can give you some thoughts on your questions.

The bible being man made. In a sense, you are right. My bible that I am using was copywrited by the Zondervan corporation in 2003 and printed in Grand Rapids Michigan. Totally made by people. The individual books of the bible were also originally penned by men. The difference between the bible and any other book was the conception of it. Who's "head" or from who's knowledge did it come from. I do believe the bible came from God. I realize that the books of the modern bible was written over hundred's of years by many different people and latter put together in what we call call "the bible" but I do believe these books are accurate and composed through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Early Christians using tarots cards? I don't know about this one, but my thought would be you are right again. We do have, in the bible, the typical warnings against, witchcraft, sorcery (I would have to look up the exact verses to quote them), Many of the new testament books are books of instruction to new believers and early churches. So the question I have to ask myself is why would the authors of these book feel it necessary to include such a direct warning to the churches unless there were Christians in the churches that were doing these things. In which the apostles were trying to correct the actions of. The people in Christ's time was struggling for answers, just as we are today.

Gifts of the Holy Spirit. This seems to be one of the hardest and most elusive concepts for me in the bible. Sorry, I didn't read all of Act 1-8 but as a summary it's about the holy spirit working through the early church. I believe that the holy spirit works through us daily, even in our day to day lives and do things that we can't even yet to imagine. Again I believe it comes down to in whom/what do you put your faith.

Acts 2;17- The apostles are quoting the prophet Joel to explaining what is happening on the day of pentacost. That the things they are doing (boldness of spirit, speaking in foreign languages etc) is originating from the Holy spirit and not from being drunk or crazy. I do believe that bible is true that the holy spirit does cause people to prophesy, see visions and dream dreams.

John 16:13 I am guessing the part of the vs. that you are keying in on is "and he will tell you what is yet to come." This is some last instructions Jesus gave his disciples before his death about the Holy Spirit. "But when the Holy Spirit comes, he will guide you into all truth, He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears and he will tell you what is yet to come." The holy spirit has been given and does speak the truth to us. So if there is something you want to know, just ask him. I think we all need to ask that he "will guide (us) into all truth."

You bring up lots of good points and question.
I hope this helps, even a little.
Mattiez

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search