Giving to charities

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you find yourself giving to local or international charities more this time of year? Why or why not.

Mattiez
December 12th, 2010, 08:33 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes. I honestly make an effort to do it all year long, but at Christmas I LOVE to go crazy with presents for the girls and our family. The fact is that we don't need anything and there are so many out there that do. Also this is the time of year that the husband gets into giving as well, so it's less of a battle. Every year we adopt angels from the salvation army (we look for elderberry trees, but go for the kids if we can't find one). This year, instead, we went through the church and filled 6 stocking for Children in NY. Yesterday we visited and handed out cards at a local retirement home. I try throughout the year to give to St Jude and Ronald McDonald house (really only recently learned what they do, and it's really an amazing charity). I give to the salvation army santas that ring the bells EVERY time I have cash on me, and look really for anyway I can make contributions. I feel that we are truly blessed to be able to enjoy the holidays as we do and we need to pass that blessing on anyway we can. Especially at Christmas because it's supposed to be the season of goodwill towards man and there are too many out there who don't receive that. The holidays should be a happy time for everyone. Everyone deserves a time a year to feel Blessed.

A couple of my friends and I were just talking about more things we could do throughout the year in the way of giving our time and efforts

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
December 14th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I try to give all year but I do find myself giving more at Christmas Time. Maybe because it is brought to our minds more often.
Each of the kids put together a shoe box (kind of like a stocking) for Operation Christmas Child. The boxes are collected and sent over seas.
We also usually pick a couple names off of angel trees and donate to the local food drives. We have a rather large food bank around this area.
We have done the ringing the bell for Salvation Army in years past. When we lived someplace much warmer. I don't think I could handle standing out in the cold, ringing a bell, here.
Mattiez
December 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
We always do an angel tree gift for someone. I am fundraising for Cancer but that just happens to fall during this time of year. I am sadly not usually very good about it. That is why I joined Team in Training to give back more to those that need it.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

December 14th, 2010, 07:16 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont' think we really give to charities more but I do think we give more in general... family & friends.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
December 15th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
I don't necessarily give to charity but people that are in need. Like i m church there was a family who a teenager got pregnant and they didn't have money to buy baby things. Well I gave them a whole bunch of boy/neutral stuff from Daniel when he was a baby.

I also give all kids clothes to a friend of mine, whose mother ships all clothes to her county in the Philippines because families there are in desperate needs of clothing.

I also try to look at the wanted ads in Craigslist and whenever I see someone needs something, I try to help as much as I can if I can.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search