How do you explain "Faith" to a non-believer?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
So I was asked how can we believe in faith if you cant see?

I explained living faith is knowing you are a child of God. Faith is knowing we are loved by God and never abandoned. Faith is knowing that God will answer our prayers when we ask for something. Faith is knowing that God is always hearing us when we are sad or alone. Faith never needs an explanation! You may not be able to see faith right now but it can be felt.

What are your thoughts? Do you try to explain faith to someone? Do you as a Christian try to share this wonderful gift God gave us with others?

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

February 25th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Azmomto4's Avatar Veteran
Faith in God is like the wind...you can't SEE the wind, but you can see how it affects the world around you...just looking at creation, you can tell there was a Creator who made it all.

I have also used DNA as an example to explain creation...how it is sooo complex that if even ONE tiny part of it is altered, you end up with defects and disaster-NOT a new species.

But then, if someone still tells me that they don't believe in God, I will just say, thats okay for now...He believes in YOU!!

February 26th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I like to tell people what the Lord has done in my life and the lives of others. I tell them about how the Lord has shown me the impossible is possible with him, things that I cant explain how they happened...only to know that they did happen because of him.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
February 28th, 2011, 05:03 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do pretty much what Heike does... I tell them my testimony. I tell them about my IF journey & everything that He has done for me & how He has carried me through this. I tell them of the miracles... free injectables, free crib, a pg with my ovary attached to my abdomen & I even Oed like that.

I also like & have heard the wind example too.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
February 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if someone still tells me that they don't believe in God, I will just say, thats okay for now...He believes in YOU!!
I love this reply.

How to discribe faith.... Believing and knowing something that you can't really put your hands on.
Some random thoughts here, A lot of faith is built on previous experiences with God. God has been faithful in our lives before and we have faith that he will be that way in the future. This is how our faith grow. No one starts out with huge amounts of faith. Most people start out quite small with one little thing or event or action. When that produces results then we can look back, in retrospect, and understand the workings of God in that situation. This produces faith for the next situation that we encounter. This type of pattern allows us to hold on to truths,even when we don't see results right away.

That first mustard grain of faith is often a conscience choice that we make, OK God, I am going to trust you on this. Often we have no other option at this point.

Now totally hijacking the thread on this next question, Sorry
Do you as a Christian try to share this wonderful gift God gave us with others? God has really been working on me lately with this point.
Over the past many years God has been working on me and teaching me how to stand in the faith and in his righteousness. Stand, in the face of oppisition. Stand when all seems to be crumbling around you. Stand in God's righteousness. When you have given all you can, Stand! Stand, stand, stand. This has really been my baseline direction since I was a child.

OK! Just when I think I got that all figured out. NOW,( Just over the past month or so), God goes and changes the marching orders on me!!! He starts saying SPEAK! Here are the vs. that just knocked me over like a bolder and confirmed what he had been telling me earlier. Mat. 10: 26-28
Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing covered that will not be revealed and hidden that will not be known. What I tell you in the darkness speak in the light and what you hear whispered in you ear proclaim upon the housetops.
(I never realized that this vs is God doing the speaking in the darkness and whispering and we are to speak it openly.)

Mat 10: 19 -20 But when they deliver you up do not become anxious about how or what you will speak: for it shall be given you in that hour what you are to speak. For it is not you who speak but it is the spirit of the father who speaks in you.

OK here we go again. God never seems to make it easy. I don't really want to speak a lot of the stuff that God has told me. But I do believe that God will make it clear what to say and when.
Mattiez

Last edited by Mattiez; February 28th, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
February 28th, 2011, 05:50 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
OK! Just when I think I got that all figured out. NOW,( Just over the past month or so), God goes and changes the marching orders on me!!!

OK here we go again. God never seems to make it easy.
I know what you mean... He always takes us out of our comfort zone, doesn't He? And it's never fun but it is oh so rewarding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
Do you as a Christian try to share this wonderful gift God gave us with others?
I must have overlooked this part... I didn't respond to it! As for me, YES... I do believe this is VERY important. We are told to go make disciples of all nations... this is the Great Commission. How do I do it presently in my life? Well, since the mission trip to Romania years ago I have been doing a prayer walk in a local apartment complex. All we do is walk around & pray for people. We get to know them & start forming relationships with them, opening up the opportunities with them to talk about our faith & such. And I think this is wonderful b/c it is evangelism but not in your face, "Are you going to heaven or hell" type of thing. Instead all we mostly do is ask if the resident needs prayer & offer to pray for them on the spot. You wouldn't believe by that simple act of obedience how many lives we've changed in the past 3 years.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search