church hunting

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well we are still in the process of looking for a new church. We have been at our new house for about 3 1/2 months and have really been looking but can't seen to find what we are looking for.
I know it is a lot to ask but everybody in the family has their own list or "requirements"
I was really looking for a very progressive, nondenominational church, that was big enough to have something for all age levels and the kids. We have been going to some mega churchs but they were so big that the kids just seemed to bet lost in the crowd of kids.
I found one that I loved but they had childrens church up to 5th grade but nothing after that on sunday morning for my 6th grader. (Who would get NOTHING out of an adult worship service)
I think we are going to try a methodist church tomorrow with a little more of a traditional feel about it. I really like the more pregressive churches, but we have to find somewhere. Please pray that the spirit will lead us to the right church.
Mattiez
November 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Praying! We had a little bit of a tough time finding a church when we were in San Antonio, also. The Lord gave me the word "grace" which confused me because that's what my baby girl's middle name is, but when we found Grace Point church we knew it was it!

We'd been looking for smaller, somewhere that we could serve, but not somewhere so small that they'd beat down our door if we didn't show up one week. This was NOT that. It was huge. The youth worship started with 6th grade - they had their own, more adult-style worship service separate from both the kids and from the adults. It was perfect! We really loved it there, even though it was super huge and not really what we expected to find.

Now that we are "home" again, we are attending TWO churches. Our Sunday morning church, where our membership is, is smaller by most standards but large enough to have a nursery (a must for me personally), and a decent children's church. (All the ages from 3 and up are in there together, and the youth come to the adult service.)

Our "other" church, here in our little town where we live (the other is in the big city, about 20 miles away), we attend on Sunday and Wednesday evenings. In fact, they don't even have a Sunday morning service. It's super small. On Wednesday evenings there are about a dozen adults and about a dozen in the youth group. There's a "nursery" - two ladies watch all the kids, from babies to not-quite-youth-group aged. Sundays start with an hour of worship, and we keep the kids with us for that; they go to the nursery after so we can listen to the message. (Pssst... an hour is a long time for under-2yo's!! LOL)

All of that to say, don't let "your idea" of what you are looking for in a church impede where the Lord might take you. Pray over it diligently, all week long, and then again Sunday morning. Then when you get home spend some time in prayer and in talking to your spouse about how you feel the Lord speaking to you about that place. Make sure each place is recognizing the Holy Spirit, and if so be sure to give every location more than one visit (even if not in a row). Look at the opportunities offered, ministries even if you wouldn't utilize them, just to be familiar with how the church is in the community and what they are doing for the Kingdom of God.

And seek HIS will, not your own.

Church seeking is hard! Prayers with you hun! :hugs:

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
November 27th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Well we didn't go to the methodist church like I thought we would. We ended up revisiting one from earlier. One that I liked, hubby said had good music, but the kids said was too crowded. They both seen to enjoy it today but still said it was crowded. I think if we try the 9:00 service, it has everything the 10:30 service had but I think there will be a lot less people. It looks like we are starting to hone in on this church. I am really ready to become active in a church again.
Thanks for the prayers.
Mattiez

Oh and an hour is long time even for my 6th grader
November 28th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Finding the right church is hard. We have been bouncy between two, one is the small famly like, but no sunday school during the service. The 2nd is larger about 300 people the kids each have their own class, the music is great and I can walk into the building and feel the presents of the Lord. But the kids are having a harder time connecting with the kids and have not made friends there. So for now we go where our hearts lead us that day.

November 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll be praying for you! We got lucky and the first church we tried felt like home. It is a bigger church too and at first we were going to second service (they have 3 services) and felt it was too crowded-plus I didn't think Addi was getting a lot out of the three year old Sunday school. We switched to first service when I found out it was less crowded and that the 3 year-olds were put in the same class with the 4 and 5 year-olds. I like that better because I feel like she is actually learning about God and the Bible instead of just playing.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

November 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will definitely be praying for you! Rick and I have gone through the church hunt a time or two ourselves. It's not easy. I hope you and your kids are able to settle in to this church quickly or that you can find another one that is just right for all of you. God will put you in the right place at the right time.

November 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
I know how hard it is. I went church hunting a few months ago and never felt comfortable anywhere else. I eventually gave up and went back to my FIL's church and for a while felt better there. But lately, I haven't been feeling like not even going to church. I am stuck in the nursery every Sunday with Jocy because she wont stay with anyone. I feel like I am not nourishing myself anymore and starting to feel very distant from God lately. I think I may have to go church hunting again. Plus Daniel never wanted to leave our church but after he tried other churches, he was sad to be back and wishes we could go back to another church with more activities for him.

I am so sorry, I took over your post.

Anyways I will be praying for you as I pray for us to find a new church as well.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

December 2nd, 2011, 05:37 AM
I know how hard it is. I went church hunting a few months ago and never felt comfortable anywhere else. I eventually gave up and went back to my FIL's church and for a while felt better there. But lately, I haven't been feeling like not even going to church. I am stuck in the nursery every Sunday with Jocy because she wont stay with anyone. I feel like I am not nourishing myself anymore and starting to feel very distant from God lately. I think I may have to go church hunting again. Plus Daniel never wanted to leave our church but after he tried other churches, he was sad to be back and wishes we could go back to another church with more activities for him.

I remember your whole deliema you went though to try and find a new church. Daniel was one of your big concerns with him not wanting to leave his old church. Now it sounds like he is really on board with going to a new church. A lot of the bigger churches have a number system for the younger kids. If you child in the nursery needs you, your number will flash on a screen or a board. Then you can go and get them. Even if you could make it half way through a service it would be better than none at all, and maybe she would gradually get accustom to new people.

It is usually hard to make changes, but you have to look at the long term benefit.
Thanks for your prayers. You will be in mine.
Mattiez
December 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all your prayers guys. We went to the 9:00 service this morning and everybody gave it a thumbs up. It looks like we are settling in. I got ourselves put on the email list so we can start get all the general info that is sent out and maybe get hooked up with some small groups or get Steven hooked up with the middle school ministry.
Mattiez
December 4th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
YAY! Glad you found a church.

As for me, I guess its going on hold. I dont want to hop right now from church to church.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search