Christmas Crafting?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2011, 07:19 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Anyone here making gifts this year?

What about ornaments and decorations?

What sorts of things are you making?

Are you using websites for ideas? Which ones? Would love links to what everyone is doing!!

I have several ideas but am not sure what all I'll have the ability to actually get done yet. I'm thinking that we may actually be able to make 2-3 gifts per kid instead of just giving one purchased gift like we usually do. That should be fun for them!! Haven't done Pinterest yet, but found a couple of really awesome sites that gave me enough ideas for the kids. Still trying to get creative with the food though! I know food is good, but I really want it to be a "cool" gift that people are actually glad that they got, something we obviously spent time on and can express our love by giving. KWIM? Can food do that? LOL

Anyway. Just wondering if anyone else is still crafting or what all you've been able to do so far.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
December 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Someone on the Moms of Girls forum mentioned Pinterest too. What exactly is this?

I only pretend to be crafty.

I've managed to make a couple of decent looking scrapbooks and the advent wreath that is sitting on our dining room table. Oh, and I've painted things at those paint your own pottery places. But they're pretty fool proof. I'm not sure I'd call that being crafty.

I wouldn't trust myself to make things for other people. They never turn out quite right.

Except....food! I'm great with food! Yes I know exactly what you mean and you absolutely can do that with food. I think it's all about finding out what they love to eat and then making the best version of that meal or dessert that you can. Or making the things that you know you make the best. Also, presentation and packaging helps a lot. Abbey usually helps me with that. She's really good at it.

December 16th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
No crafting anything here this year. I was going to make a few things but right now I just dont feel up to it.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

December 16th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are going to make the typical ginger bread house this year. I bought the kit at the grocery store and the kids are going to make it this weekend. We do this every year. It is always a lot of fun.

Kathryn and I made some bread dough ornaments. You can find the recipe anywhere on the web. It is basically flour, water and salt. We free-handed some ornaments and used cookie cutters on others. Then painted them and sprayed them with a clear sealant. The turned out great. Some are hung on the Christmas tree and Kathryn want to give others away as presents. I like the free handed ones the best. The candy canes are easy and look great. You make 2 skinny "snakes" out of dough and twist them together and put a bend in the top. Paint one twist red and one white. Voila. Wreaths are easy too. You do the same as the candy cane but make a circle instead of a cane shape. Paint it green.

I usually do a lot of baking this time of year too. I made a batch of ginger bread cookies. I didn't even get to decorate them. They have all just about been eaten. We will make and decorate some sugar cookies here during break.

Mattiez

Last edited by Mattiez; December 16th, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
December 16th, 2011, 11:20 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Awww hugs Melissa! Totally understandable.

I'm still trying to think of foody things. Presentation, huh? Like what? I cant really buy bags or colored cellophane or anything like that.... What can I do with what I already have? Ideas?

This year I'm learning to sew. Next year hopefully I can do some NICE sewed stuff, and hopefully some crochet too!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search