I have school on the brain

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2012, 04:13 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So lets discuss.

Are your kids in school yet? What grade(s) will they be in this year?
Public? Private? Homeschooling?
How does your faith impact your schooling choices if at all?
What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on Sunday) to encourage their Christian education and spiritual growth?
What are you most excited for?
What are you dreading?

If you have little ones who aren't there yet, have you thought about it? What kind of school experience do you want for them?

August 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM
TemporaryMom's Avatar Regular
Are your kids in school yet? O is, and A is starting this year!
What grade(s) will they be in this year? O will be in 3rd grade, A will be in Kindergarten.
Public? Private? Homeschooling? Private Christian school. They go to school where I teach. I get a big discount and they're very flexible when my foster kids change. They always take them even if the class is full.
How does your faith impact your schooling choices if at all? I will most certainly choose private Christian school for my children. I choose it for my foster children because it is very convenient, and convenient is a good thing when you're single caring for 4 kids. I don't push my faith on my foster kids, but they do take part in saying grace, praying at night if they want to, going to church, etc. With some kids that's just them closing their eyes and folding their hands while I pray. For some they join in. I leave it up to them. School, they don't have much choice. I suppose if I had a middle or high schooler who were opposed to the Christian school, I would allow them to attend the public school. It's different when they're not your kids.
What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on Sunday) to encourage their Christian education and spiritual growth? Daily we do grace at every meal, and we pray every evening at bedtime. If they're interested, we review their church lesson throughout the week, expanding on it more each day. My two oldest right now love doing this.
What are you most excited for? Everything! I love school!
What are you dreading? The 5am mornings

If you have little ones who aren't there yet, have you thought about it? What kind of school experience do you want for them? The younger ones are in the childcare at the school I teach at. They have childcare for the teachers and staff.

August 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Are your kids in school yet? What grade(s) will they be in this year? Teagan is gr 5, Kyren gr 2 and Cohen is in preschool

Public? Private? Homeschooling? Homeschooling !!!!!
How does your faith impact your schooling choices if at all? I have picked course with a christian base, something i would have never been abil to do. We have one school and it is public.

What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on Sunday) to encourage their Christian education and spiritual growth? we do devotionals daily and pray together

What are you most excited for? everything this year is bringing
What are you dreading? nothing.....yet

If you have little ones who aren't there yet, have you thought about it? What kind of school experience do you want for them? I hope to homeschool them also

August 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are your kids in school yet? They are school age, but school doesn't start for another 11 days.

What grade(s) will they be in this year? PK and 1st Grade.

Public? Private? Homeschooling? Private.

How does your faith impact your schooling choices if at all? My kids are going to a private Christian academy.

What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on Sunday) to encourage their Christian education and spiritual growth? We pray everyday, watch christian shows, and read the bible.

What are you most excited for? The kids to start school.

What are you dreading? Homework.

Last edited by CTK3989; August 2nd, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
August 1st, 2012, 09:58 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Guess it's only fair that I answer my own questions huh?

Are your kids in school yet? What grade(s) will they be in this year? Meagan is in 11th grade, Abbey's in 9th, Kayla's in 4th and Ellie's in 1st.
Public? Private? Homeschooling? They're all in a wonderful private school this year.
How does your faith impact your schooling choices if at all? When Meg was little, Rick and I prayed over our options and ultimately decided we wanted our children in a private school. Ellie was in a public preschool for a short time because of her special needs and it was not a good fit for our family. The environment did not honor God and it was not safe for her. So after praying over it A LOT, we decided to homeschool her until kindergarten. We would have continued with that if the private school couldn't accomidate her but thankfully they can.
What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on Sunday) to encourage their Christian education and spiritual growth? We pray together in the mornings and at bedtime in additon to saying grace at meals. We are also very involved in church activities during the year and we watch lots of Christian movies and read Christian books together.
What are you most excited for? My girls genuinely enjoy learning and going to school so I'm excited to be a witness to all of it again. Sports and school plays and talent shows and science fairs and all those wonderful things.
What are you dreading? Homework.

August 7th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Are your kids in school yet? What grade(s) will they be in this year? My girls will be in Grade 10,8,6,4 and 2. Nephew is technically in Grade 12, but he's quite a ways behind.

Public? Private? Homeschooling? The younger 4 attend a private Christian School. My oldest is going to the public school (along with nephew) which she is excited about and ready for.

How does your faith impact your schooling choices if at all? It totally does. I deeply love our Christian School, my kids are there first and foremost to be taught from a Christian perspective, but I also really like that you have such access to the school and can be really involved. That said, I do like that now my oldest is going to the public school, she has her foundation but it's time for her to start deciding a few things for herself and I'm okay with her being challenged in who she is and what she believes in.
What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on Sunday) to encourage their Christian education and spiritual growth? They are all involved in various church activities. We do devotions together and I pray every night with the younger 3.
What are you most excited for? routine
What are you dreading? routine
August 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

We kind of school year round this year, Addi is still finishing up Pre-K but we are starting kindergarten in a few weeks.

Homeschooling

I use a Christian curriculum for some subjects, but I also prayed a lot before choosing to homeschool. I am not against public school since I feel our kids can witness to others through that way BUT the public schools in our area are not very good and I would rather teacher her at home.

What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on Sunday) to encourage their Christian education and spiritual growth?

We pray each morning when she wakes up, every meal time, and at bed time together. When I get a new printer we will also be starting daily devotional time.

The homeschool group we joined!

What are you dreading?

Not anything really

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Veteran
Are your kids in school yet? What grades will they be in? yes,8th,7th,3rd,2nd,k.pre-k

Public? Private? Homeschooling? HOMESCHOOLING!!!lol

How does your faith impact your schooling choices if at all? It has everything to do with it and the exact reason why I homeschool.I use a lot of different curricula and I have everything I can based around Christ...even math

What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on sunday) to encourage their christian education and spiritual growth? We have bible study everyday..we pray together.We watch a lot of christian films.we sing songs a lot.

What are you most excited for? The end of the year when you really see how far they have come from the beginning

What are you dreading? The days you just don't feel like teaching or cleaning or anything but you know you got to
:mommyDeAnna 7/28 Whitney 4/7 Naomi 6/24 Katerina 1/27 Gracie 5/25 Magdalina 6/8Berachiah 6/8 Peter 2/20 Deanna 19,whitney 15,Naomi 13,Katerina 8,Gracie 7,Magdalina 5,Berachiah 3,Peter 4 months and counting.
August 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Super Mommy
Are your kids in school yet? What grade(s) will they be in this year? Mercy Jane (my oldest) is just starting kindergarten and some 1st grade this year.
Public? Private? Homeschooling? Homeschooling
How does your faith impact your schooling choices if at all? We prayed over it a lot but really the things we were considering didn't have as much to do with our faith as they did with the quality of education we want for our kids and their individual needs. If we felt like the public schools where we are could offer us what we want, we wouldn't hesitate to send our kids there. That being said, I am really happy to be able to integrate our faith and the bible into everything we teach. It's definitely a great benefit to homeschooling. (Plus we move around a lot so homeschooling just makes more sense for us)
What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on Sunday) to encourage their Christian education and spiritual growth? I'm sure our children will become very involved in the children's ministries at our church and using a Christian home school curriculum is a bonus. Plus we pray all the time and read the bible together as a family.
What are you most excited for? learning along with them and trying new things
What are you dreading? finding a balance, especially once the twins are here.

If you have little ones who aren't there yet, have you thought about it? What kind of school experience do you want for them? All I know for sure is that I want my kids to have a better school experience than I had and I want us to be a close family. I think homeschooling will help to provide that.
~Mother of Miracles

August 12th, 2012, 05:08 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Are your kids in school yet? What grade(s) will they be in this year? I have a Freshman and a 5th grader.
Public? Private? Homeschooling? Homeschooling
How does your faith impact your schooling choices if at all? I always wanted to homeschool, but my kids were in public until the middle of the year last year. I did tons of praying before I pulled them out, partially because of a bullying issue and partially because I wanted to teach them with the moral convictions that our family feels, not the politically correct crap they were being fed in public school.
What do you do during the school year (aside from going to church on Sunday) to encourage their Christian education and spiritual growth? Our curriculum is Christian based, we have a bible class, and we are leading a youth bible study at church on Saturdays too.
What are you most excited for? Our new curriculum. Last year we just made our own mostly using the public school textbooks because we pulled them out at Christmas.
What are you dreading? Nothing really. We love homeschooling and are really looking forward to getting going again.

If you have little ones who aren't there yet, have you thought about it? What kind of school experience do you want for them? If God blesses us with any more babies they will be home schooled from the very beginning.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
August 12th, 2012, 09:41 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Cohen & Abe attend a Spanish Immersion Preschool. Cohen is technically Pre-K this coming year.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]I guess it's private, but not Christian[/COLOR]

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]We want to do what is best for each child individually, and that means all decisions are made prayerfully. We'd love to send our children to a Christian school, but we also love the idea of them being witnesses to other in the public schools. Homeschooling is another good option, but my husband and I are still trying to figure that out. If we did that we'd defintiely need to be part of a co-op.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]We read ABC Bible verses, and are just starting to listen to adventures in odyssey. it's a little advanced for them, but my oldest is definitely starting to pick up on some of it. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]I love that our kids are learning a foreign language. I hope that they can use it to share the gospel with even more people[/COLOR]

What are you dreading?
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Not sure that I'm dreading anything just yet. [/COLOR]

If you have little ones who aren't there yet, have you thought about it? What kind of school experience do you want for them?
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]We want them to know Jesus more than anything and right now I'm not sure we're doing a great job. Praise God that their salvation doesn't lie in our hands because I don't think that I'll ever feel that I'm doing enough and it's not about what I do at all but about what Jesus did (I constantly need to remind myself of that). Beyond learning about our Savior we hope that our children will learn to love school and pursue college degrees.[/COLOR]

August 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am homeschooling my 2nd grade son for the first time ever this year. We LOVE it so far! We have also joined Classical Conversations which I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend. Look on their website for one in your area and visit if interested. You will want to sign up the day you observe! Our choice to HS was more about quality of education and variety of subjects. The fact that biblical things are integrated just makes it that much better! We pray together every night and we've read lots of children's bibles and bible stories and have many Bible discussions. We attend church twice a week and are very involved.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search