Parent A ??

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3TeamH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I was driving by MYSELF !!! and i was lisening to xm radio the family talk(religious). They were talking about how gender si being taken out of our world. Parents are not Mother/Father but now lables parentA/ParentB, they even talked about some lady in Texas that classes her self pangender
here is the discription Pangender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. What do you think about this ?

Thank You tasha_mae

August 16th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In one way I can see what they are trying to do, and I don't disagree with parts of it... but on the other hand 'Oh COME ON!'

To me a family should do what works best for them. I think where removing gender is beneficial is in places where gender roles are hindering the relationships in a family. For example when a father is not 'hands on' or doesn't participate fully because he is a man, and that is a 'woman's role.' I think society has come a LONG way in allowing women to have equality, but I think a lot of men still feel uncomfortable with the role of stay at home dad (or other female dominated roles) due to gender stereotyping.

I also think the family dynamic has changed so much in the past 50 years that there is growing need for change in 'gender based terminology'. With single parent homes, and same sex parent homes being common place now when children go to school they are faced with trying to describe their parents roles rather than their title.. (ie single parent may be called 'mother' but fullfils the role of mom and dad, same sex home may have 2 dads, but one is primary caregiver and the other is a secondary caregiver) I think it is important as humans to respect all other people and the titles they choose to have.

All that said... I would never accept being called Parent A.... In our home we practice pretty stereotypical gender roles, on most fronts, and being a MOM is what I look forward to the most in life! If someone told me they wanted to be called Parent A-Z, or Pangender then so be it. Who am I to judge them. I do however expect the same respect back, in the choices that I make regarding my gender and the titles I want used in my family!
August 16th, 2012, 09:36 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
I completely agree with crunchywannabe. We are pretty stereotypical in our roles as well. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, to be honest, yet how crazy do we seem to those who don't know the Lord? And by waging any type of war against this I only see walls being built instead of being torn down. Praise God for my salvation, that I have seen and know Truth.
crunchywannabe likes this.

August 18th, 2012, 11:35 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with crunchywannabe as well. We are pretty traditional in our roles here (even though Dh is not a believer) but I can see how the different changes in the family unit can lead to things like this. I am perfectly fine with crossing the 'gender boundaries' with my kids in terms of letting my daughter play with tools (which she loves) and if I ever have a son letting him play with dolls, but I think some parents take it way to far. For example the Canadian couple (I think?) who refused to reveal the sex of their child until they were like 3 or something.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search