Atheist on the rise ??

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Here is a link to read I heard on XM radio that atheist is on the rise ? Your thoughts ?The rise of atheism in America - The Week

August 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Interesting article.... I think it has grouped several smaller types of beliefs (or lack thereof) into 1 large group of 'Atheists'. I only know 2 people personally who claim to be Atheist. But many who are Agnostic. I see these as being different. Atheists BELIEVE there is no God.

I can understand the rise in these numbers none the less. Society has changed a great deal over the past few decades and in my opinion the 'church' has taken its time to catch up. Right or wrong this has left a lot of young people feeling out of place and unaccepted. Their lifestyle choices are being met with disapproval and judgement. Lets face it, who would want to attend church, or hang around with 'Christians' if it only makes you feel guilt, judgement, and in some cases hated. I'm not saying all Christians are like this, nor are all churches, but I think even as Christians we can all admit to knowing some that fit this description.

The article says "Most polls suggest that atheists are among the most disliked groups in the U.S." I think this is a clear indicator of what is driving these numbers up. As Christians we should be showing LOVE and RESPECT to ALL people. If I was on the fence about my beliefs I would not be turning towards the example of 'Godly people' who spew hate, and judgment. (again this is a very small selection of Christian people and organizations, but they are out there representing us as a whole to these people)

The comment about 'there are no atheists in foxholes' makes me smile. From my husband's experiences I would say this is closer to accurate than you might think. He was deployed to Afghanistan twice and both times he talks about being with guys in sketchy situations where they would ask him to pray, or would ask questions about God. From my experiences, members of the military are among some of the most confused, and distant people when it comes to faith. It's in 'life or death' situations that many people really take the time to seriously consider their beliefs. I don't understand what an Atheist padre would do though? Atheism as far as I'm aware doesn't have a structured teaching... would it not just be a non religious counselor (which are offered already)

I think the overall point is that we can't control what others choose for themselves. God gave everyone free will. All we can do is love on everyone we encounter, and pray for them constantly! I think it's important to be that light of Jesus in the lives of others. I do not consider myself an overly 'religious' person, in terms of traditions and rituals... but I am absolutely a Christian with a deep, personal relationship with God. I think the more we as a large group show the world who we are, and through loving relationships who our God is, we can change the perspective of Christians as being hateful and judgmental to loving and caring like I believe God intended us to be!

I see this article as a reminder of something we all as a group can be praying about!
August 30th, 2012, 08:55 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not surprised by this at all. I've found that the majority of women in my birth club are atheist. Most of them grew up in religious homes. (Mainly Catholic). The Bible says in the last days there will come a "great falling away." So I expect that falling away to continue. One of our pastors (and Beth Moore) has been saying that he believes persecution is coming to the American church. I think if christians are truly put to the test, many will find that their "faith" is really just part of their culture and part of "straightening out their lives" as they've grown older and more responsible. To face prison, death or other persecution and still profess Jesus will weed out the true believers...sad to say.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search