A SPECIFIC PRAYER.....praying for my dh's heart......and so much more!

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jeweluv
  • 2 Post By mamma_anna

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2012, 07:28 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So dh is Jewish, though more born into it and doesn't believe in the actual religious part. He is a doctor and very much an athiest. He doesn't understand how any wonderful GOD with all the power in the world, could allow a child to suffer. I try to explain that it is our sin that has corrupted this world and caused disease, crime, etc....but he still feels, understandablly, that if there was in deed a just GOD, he would never allow something bad to happen to a child. I know the deal and know this life is not forever and it is not GOD'S fault.

For him, he thinks the bible is all well and good as a book of morals, but it is fantasty and that the prophesies, as I explained, that were fullfilled, were simply written or depicted in that way to do so in the new testament. Even when I explained there are certain things you just cannot manipulate.

He has a scientific heart. He is a very kind soul deep down but he has a very, very bad temper and a sharp tongue. He has said very hurtful things to me before, admits he was wrong, but nevertheless it is still hard. He really does struggle. He was previousely married and has two kids from it. Together we have two girls. I know his EX and she seems to be down right devious and I believe he was emotionally abused in the rel. Sad stuff. It's hard because his absence of faith affects so much. when we met and married I was not saved. for years I had dabbled with forms of Christianity and even "tried" Judiasm only to find that this is really where my heart was.....and I am SOOO GRATEFUL the LORD revealed himself to me. There are certain things in my every day family life that can never be unless he gains some faith and has a change of heart attitude. I would LOVE to be able to raise my children with a united parent faith. I know I can always tell them what I believe and show them why, but it is hard because Daddy insists he will tell them what he believes; which is nothing. I am a bit conservative with child rearing in that I hate that kids, especially girls, grow up so fast. I would love nothing more than to really teach my kids STRONG MORALS, even homeschool them bc I can't afford private school, but he is soo against this. In fact, my entire family as well as his are the opposite of me! I get along with everyone bc that is my nature but it has become realy hard for me to realize that I am going to have to compromise a lot of my values and beliefs bc their daddy feels different and has the right to.

I know a lot of these issues can have my faith removed from them, while still supporting reasonable reasons to live that way but he knows what they all stem from. I desire so badly for his heart to be open. He simply does not CARE enough to investigate or look at what I believe. Sometimes he makes a point to try and disprove it or point things out, which I like better bc at least it opens up conversations, but most of the time he is simply uninterested.

He is a tough nut to crack. I love him so much and know the TRUE him deep down. I know that if he were just able to let his guard down, even his temper that I believe is a defense mechanism, that he would be so much happier and our familier; healthier. We are a happy bunch and overall have a great life, but I SO want this and pray every day for it. If anyone happens to remember this thread during their prayers, if you don't mind...can you pray that he has a heart change or that maybe something plants the seed. Sometimes I feel like this is such a pipe dream. It is in the LORD's hands but he does have his free will.............

Thanks, prayerfully

Erica peace be with you!!

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
September 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will pray Erica. The only thing you can do is read the Bible all you can and pray. Get a good study Bible. I have learned sooooo much from my Dake Bible, although he interprets things in his notes that I don't believe. However, if you can get past that....he's done all the work and research FOR you. He connects every other verse in the bible related to the one you're reading. If you wondered why something has been interpreted the way it has, it's because it's connected to another verse somewhere else that explains it more in detail. He has things broken down by topic. He has totally changed my whole idea of Bible study. I would sit for two or three hours reading and researching stuff. I've never been able to do that before. He was also a very intelligent man and cites scientific and historical references. At least you would be well taught and always have an answer for why you believe when your husband questions you. Also, you will be able to give your children answers when they become old enough to ask. My son was four when he asked me in the car one day, "mommy, where did the FIRST person come from?" you will also be asked why there are storms, sickness, death.... Etc. I'm sure your husband will have a scientific answer for your children and will seem very sure of himself. You need to be just as sure in what your explanation may be. If you get a Dake and open it up and don't have a clue what to do....I'll help you. I had to ask someone when I first tried to read it. I didnt understand how to use it. It's a regular bible in the middle of the page but all of his notes and references are on both sides with little letters and numbers.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh! I meant to recommend this to you in another thread but I don't think I ever did it. Are you a reader? If so, get Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion series. The first book is called A Voice in the Wind. It starts off rough....the first 100-150 pages describes when Titus and the Roman army destroyed Jerusalem. It's fiction but is based on true history. If you can get past that part, the rest is amazing! I actually just read all three books for the second time. The main character is a "Jew" who was raised Christian. She becomes a slave in a roman home where they believe in all the false God's. She has such a deep faith and is a humble servant and ends up changing so many lives. In the 2nd book, there is a Jewish man (made me think of your husband) who was a scribe (copied all of the OT scriptures) who did NOT believe in Jesus. Through this girls life and testimony he realizes Jesus really is the messiah. Anyway, I think these books would really touch your heart and be applicable to your life....You will identify with this humble servant girl who can't really speak her faith publicly for fear of being sent to the arena and killed and who is surrounded by unbelievers...even the man she loves. Did I mention the love story part is awesome??!!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 7th, 2012, 07:02 PM
OMG, thank you...I am getting that book!!!!!!!!!!! That was so sweet....I am a reader =)))
mamaginger likes this.

September 7th, 2012, 08:31 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
(((HUGS))) I know the feeling, my Dh is an atheist as well and also comes about it from an intellectual point of view. My Dh used to be a Christian, but something happened after our Dd was born (we both went through pretty major depressions-long story) that turn him away from God. He never talks about it, and on the few occasions where he has mentioned it he says pretty much the same thing as your Dh. That a God like the God he learned about would not allow the bad things that happen in this world to be reality. I will be praying for your Dh as well as you.

Oh also, I agree with Ginger. The Mark of the Lion series is AMAZING!

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those books are going on my reading list now.

Erica, I will definitely be praying for you and your husband. Prayer really is the most powerful tool we have. I think Ginger gave you some great advice. I would also recomend a couple of other books to you.

Letters from a Skeptic - This is one of my favorites. It's a collection of letters between a father and son. The father is an athiest and the son is a Christian pastor with a phD in theology. Basically the son answers his fathers questions about Jesus and faith in a very honest and conversational manner. It's very intellectual but not in your face about it. My daughters have used it as a study resource for their confirmation classes.

A Case for Christ - Written by a former athiest journalist. Basically he tackles the question of faith and Jesus as a seasoned investigative journalist. He does the research and interviews the experts and ultimately accepts Christ for himself. Also very intellectual but reads like a novel.

You might enjoy reading these for yourself as a new Christian. They might help you understand how to relate the biblical arguments for what you believe to your husband in a more personal way. And who knows maybe he'll see one of them, or better yet a great study bible, laying around the house one day and pick it up out of curiosity or boredom and something will click for him.

I do believe the Lord is working in your husband's heart right now even if he doesn't realize it or want to acknowledge it yet. God put you in your husband's life for a reason.
jeweluv and mamaginger like this.

September 13th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I love you ladies =) You are so kind!!

2Corrinthians..I will be praying for your husband too. I'm sorry for your struggles. So hard..=(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search