Do We Really Have A FREE WILL - or is everything Pre-Destined?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Whats your thoughts ?

September 6th, 2012, 11:20 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just recently discussed this on another board....here's my response:

I can definitely tell you that God is not "surprised" by anything. He is omniscient so he knows all things past, present and future. His foreknowledge of something absolutely does not mean that he "made" the person choose something. Yes, he knew ahead of time what they would choose because he's God and he's omniscient but they still made the choice. They are not a robot programmed to make certain decisions. We make all decisions in our own free will but yes, He knows....because He's God

I absolutely do not believe in predestination (that some are "chosen" and others are not by no favor or fault of their own) because the Bible says the reason Jesus has not yet returned is that he is giving people time to repent. It says, "He is not willing that ANY should perish but that ALL should come to the saving knowledge of Christ." I think that is in 2 Peter 3. Of course John 3: 16 says "For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that WHOSOEVER believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Also... by default if you believe predestination then you have to believe "once saved always saved." I have LOTS of verses to disprove that. I can post them later. There are lots of references in Paul's letters to all of the different churches (Galatians, Colossians, Corinthians) warning them about being "led astray" or "falling away." In Revelations it talks about having your "name blotted out of the Lamb's Book of Life." Obviously if your name was in there and then got blotted out then you can be "saved" and fall away. Again...can't think of the exact verse but the popular one where Paul is talking about "winning the race" and "fighting the good fight" he says something at the end about being careful not to allow HIMSELF to "become disqualified." If PAUL can become disqualified then surely he didn't believe in predestination or once saved always saved.

Ezekiel 18....to me....blows "once saved always saved" out of the water in my opinion. It very clearly discusses people falling away.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 6th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to virtuous
The church and my husband say free will & once saved always saved. I have to go & believe what they say. Not really my place to decide on my own because it would be wrong to go against it. I have no idea what the Bible says. Too many thoughts.
September 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I wondered the same thing recently. From what I hve been explained, some things are like appointments, they just appen regardless. GOD knows us and the path we will prob take but does not know what the outcome will deff be. Almost like short term memoy...I think..??? For instance, in a given situation he may know our character and our tendency to react a certain way. At times, this may be to his benefit because perhaps he cn predict this and steer us in the right direction if we allow him. I don't think he knows who will be saved or not saved because if that was the case, then free will and choice would not truly exist. It would mean that he created souls from the beginni to be saved and not to be saved, and that is not true.

I often think of DH with all this. Why are some people not reached/saved? GOD knows everyone, but if one cannot change their hearts/feelings, than how can they be held accountable for rejecting him? Some WONDERFUL LADIES ON HERE have put food to thought in my mind and I thik I understand. There is prob a big part of a person that, when rejecting, knows that it is for some personal gratification.......

Also..I think that GOD does have a "plan" for us or idea of what our purpose is. We can choose to go astray, make our own way, which could be good times and bad times, but in the end, not so good. Or, we can pray to be in alignment with him, in true peace, and do his will. It's true that some choose their own way, have good lives, but not GOD led lives. For me, I am trying to pray that I live in GOD' s will for me because I know it is more perfect than anything I could ever arrange.

So on one hand you have the person-driven destiny where the person literally creates their own destiny, and then you have the GOD-CHOSEN path, where you let GOD LEAD.

I'm thinking if you choose GOD, the path is going to be much different.........ya know?

I'm thinking if you choose GOD, the path is going to be much different.........ya know?

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search