Worried About Heaven. Will I know and be close to my children?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mamaginger
  • 1 Post By mamaginger
  • 1 Post By mamma_anna

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As imperfect as this world is and as divine as I know Heaven is and our bodies once and if we go there, I worry and fear Heaven. I know this world is terrible but this world has my children which are The best thing in my entire life! If my children accept Christ and do go to Heaven and we are all there, will we live closely with each other? I know GOD says in the bible that we will but will we be with our earthly families as much? It scares me to think that I won't be with them all the time or be as close in the afterlife. I know the LORD says he will wipe away our sadness when we get there but while I'm here I actually fear Heaven bc I worry that my children will not be a huge part of my eternity there.

If our loved ones/friends are saved, die and we are to meet again do you think that the relationship is as strong, frequent, and close as it was here?

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
September 8th, 2012, 07:05 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I read this yesterday and didn't really know how to answer until I did some more research. Unfortunately the Bible is kind of quiet on this topic. It's funny because "Heaven" was my first "research project" when I got my Dake Bible. I felt like all I really knew about heaven was "pearly gates....streets of gold...no tears...no death, etc" and yes, all of that is lovely and wonderful BUT I kinda like Earth too honestly. I don't like the bad things but I like the forests, the rivers, the animals, the sky...etc.

The Bible actually talks more about the second coming of Christ, our resurrection (just bodies...souls are already in heaven) and the New Heavens and New Earth more than it does Heaven (as it is now). I never realized until the last year or two that when christians died before Christ they went to "Paradise" which was actually in the center of the Earth near Hell. If you read Luke 16, you can see a description of this. A rich man dies and goes to Hell and a beggar named Lazarus dies and goes to Paradise. It says that he is beside Abraham (who has died hundreds of years earlier). The rich man can actually SEE them and talk to them but can't get to them because of a great gulf between them. They actually talk back and forth because the rich man wants Abraham to send someone to warn his brothers (still alive on earth) about Hell. Ok, so this is not a warm, fuzzy story but it DOES let you know that you are aware of who you are and who your loved ones on earth are after you die. It lets you know that you can still communicate. It lets you know that Lazarus knew who Abraham was and was standing right beside him in Paradise. (Jesus went and got all of these souls when he died and took them to Heaven with him - see Ephesians 4:8-10 and Matthew 27: 51-53).

Also, when the apostle John wrote Revelation, in chapter 6 it says he saw "the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, 'O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on earth? Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer..."

So this passage lets me know that #1 there are souls who have died and they are IN HEAVEN now (not "asleep" in the grave until the 2nd coming as some religions teach) #2 these souls remember what happened to cause their death and are wanting and waiting for their deaths to be avenged #3 they are told to wait a little longer

It sounds to me like Paradise and Heaven (as it is now) were/are waiting places...waiting for Jesus' return to earth. Those of us alive on Earth await his coming and those in heaven also await his return. They know that when he returns, their bodies will be resurrected and those of us alive on earth will be "caught up" with them in the air at his return. (This is the rapture) 1 Thessalonians 4: 13-18 discusses this if you want to look it up.

Heaven is "up there" and it has the city, described in Revelations, in it (pearly gates, streets of gold, mansions, etc). God the Father is there. Jesus is at his right hand. (1 Peter 3:22) There are innumerable angels. (Hebrews 12:22) There are rivers and streams (Isaiah 33:20-21) Lions and lambs will lie together (Isaiah 65:17-25) There will not be marriage anymore (Luke 20:34-38) --I know that one is probably not comforting--

Anyway...at Jesus' return, he will bring with him all the "saints." That's any and all christians who have died and/or been raptured. There will be the battle of Armageddon where all those against Christ will be destroyed. The earth will be basically burned up and then "made new." (2 Peter 3:10-12 and Zechariah 14 tell about this)
The city, the New Jerusalem, will literally come down out of heaven and we will live in it with Jesus and rule with him. We will judge the angels and the nations. (1 Corinthians 6:2)

I get a little fuzzy on the chronology of all of this but I know that there is a 1000 year period where there are still people living on earth outside the city. Those people will be just like we are now. They will marry, have children, can be saved, etc. But Jesus and all of us will live inside the city (New Jerusalem) and will rule over these people. After the 1000 years, the "lost" will be officially judged (whatever that entails) and will be cast into the lake of fire with satan and death. This will be the end of all evil. We will live in our glorified bodies in the New Earth for all of eternity with Jesus and God. I can post all of the references to this paragraph. Most of it is from Revelations...maybe chapter 19? I don't have that one written down.

So....I know I've probably just blown your mind. LOL. I promise this is what the Bible teaches and most people have just never read it or been taught this in church. But you can look all the verses up yourself; that's why I posted them. Don't just take my word for it.

Ok...posting and typing more...
Countrymom4 likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 8th, 2012, 07:22 PM
So I know all of that stuff didn't really tell you anything about what your relationship with your children will be. That's because the Bible really doesn't say. I don't think that when you die you necessarily are the "age" that you are when you die. For example, your dead grandma won't be an 80 year old woman and your miscarried baby won't be a tiny embryo. Our souls are our souls no matter what age we are. I don't really have scripture to back this up. Its just what I think. I do believe we will know one another. I believe after the 2nd coming and resurrection of the bodies/ashes/whatever is in the grave....we will all have new glorified bodies.

I know that when Jesus was resurrected Mary Magdalene didn't recognize him. She thought he was the gardener (see any of the four gospels) then he said "Mary..." and suddenly she recognized him. Then Jesus walked with two disciples and talked with them and they also didn't recognize him. They even told him about Jesus being crucified and dying. Then suddenly at dinner, they recognized him. He was different but the same. He told them to look at his scars. He ate a piece of fish to prove he wasn't a ghost. (See Luke 24)

Also when Jesus is transfigured, Moses and Elijah appear with him. Peter, James and John (i think it was those 3) see Moses and Elijah and recognize them. (See Matthew Ch. 17)

I think this is a picture of what we will be like after our resurrection. It will still be "us" but a glorified version. Loved ones will recognize us just as Jesus' loved ones eventually recognized him and just as the disciples recognized Moses and Elijah.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks so much, Ginger =))

I have to say sometimes I feel intimidated by scripture because I will read what other people ead and understand and they will get something from it, as you did, that I would have never picked up on. It frustrates me.

At times I feel like I'm reading the words but just going through the motions.

Hope you had a good weekend!

September 9th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Hebrews 4:12 says "The word of God is LIVING and powerful...". The word of God truly is "alive.". It moves...you see things you never saw before after reading the same thing over and over. It's not just you. There are verses and stories I've read and heard my whole life and I'll still have times where I think, WOW....I never saw that before!!

The Holy Spirit will reveal things to you as you read and he will open your eyes and ears to things. Don't be intimidated. I have a really good Sunday school teacher and I've learned a lot from Dake too.
mamma_anna likes this.

September 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to keep my answer to your question very simple this time.

Quote:
If our loved ones/friends are saved, die and we are to meet again do you think that the relationship is as strong, frequent, and close as it was here?
It will be SO MUCH BETTER!!! I don't have any specific scripture to back this up but I can't imagine it not being true. There won't be any sin or worldly concerns getting in the way of our relationships in Heaven. God IS the purest love. Being IN His presence for eternity... really, what could be better?

Quote:
At times I feel like I'm reading the words but just going through the motions.
Honestly, I feel like this too sometimes. I can understand feeling intimidated reading the bible. Especially as a new Christian. I grew up in a Christian home, went to a Christian high school and I still feel like I'm not really understanding what I'm reading sometimes. But that's when I stop and pray over it. I ask God to show me what He wants me to know. Sometimes I don't get a clear answer right then but something will happen later on that will remind me of that scripture and I'll get my answer.

God know's your heart, Erica. He understands that you are seeking His knowledge and His truth. He is so proud of you for that. He will reward your efforts. But He doesn't expect a perfect understanding from you. He just wants your heart.
jeweluv likes this.

September 13th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I am so glad I joined this forum! You gals are just just positive and wonderful women! THANK YOU FROM MY HEART AND SOUL!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search