When and how do you pray?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jeweluv
  • 1 Post By mamma_anna
  • 1 Post By Buggymom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2012, 12:49 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you pray in ritual or at specific times with common/specific themes?

This is prob a silly question, but I always wonder as I have always just done so in a certain way and am not really sure if there is a way that it should somewhat be done. (as you ladies know..I am somewhat new to this)

So, every morning I say about a 5 minute prayer....some of it is the same every day....and some of it si specific for what is going on. I always start out by thanking the LORD for all the wonderful ways he has blessed me. I name them in part. I ask for forgiveness and go there into a little routine of things like praying for the health and happiness of my fam and friends, the souls of my fam/friends, and anyone in specific need of prayer. I end with "ask this in the name of the LORD, JESUS CHRIST."

During the day, I will often thank him if something goes right or if I need strength. So I "converse" with him all day...even if it's just for moments.

If it's too personal, it's okay...just curious how other people pray?
mamma_anna likes this.

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
September 8th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
As for times, I pray all day...I wake in the morning with a prayer, we pray at our meals, and i always end the day in a prayer. Through out the day I pray, I find i do alot of praying when i drive .
As for how, I do start my prayer with thanks.

Thank You tasha_mae

September 8th, 2012, 05:13 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The bible says to pray without ceasing so I think that means we kind of constantly talk to God all during the day. We always pray at night before bed but otherwise I pray when someone asks me or when I think about someone. I don't pray enough really...

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not a silly question at all. Actually it sounds like you and I pray in a very similar way.

What you are describing is usually how I tend to pray at the end of the day. But I also pray first thing in the morning, basically inviting God into my day and asking him to make his presence known to me throughout the day.

And I pray before every meal, (we say grace as a family whenever we're together at the table) and randomly throughout the day whenever things come up or I just feel the need to talk to Him. Like Chrystal said, I tend to pray a lot in the car.

But some of the best prayer times for me are when I pray with each of my girls before bed each night. I still do this even with my teenagers and it is by far my favorite part of the day. God reveals himself to me so much through their prayers and what's on their hearts.
jeweluv likes this.

September 12th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't pray near as much as I should, but I do try to pray a few times during the day (often not more than a few quick words of thanks, or for protection,healing, whatever) Like said here a few times, I pray in the car all the time! It's just such a great place with few other distractions!

I also try to take time once I'm in bed, but I'll be honest..... by that point I usually start... and am asleep part way through.

The way I pray is exactly the same as I speak to other people, and often I say silent prayers when the situation doesn't allow for me to speak out loud.
September 12th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I often say silent prayers in my head and if I'm at home I get down on my knees and pray whenever I feel the need. I invite Kayley over with me so that she sees that it's normal to pray anytime you want. We always say a bedtime prayer together.

I love praying while I'm walking by myself at the park...it's my favorite time where I really feel in touch with the Lord. I end up praying about anything and everything. I really need to start praying right away in the morning....like when I'm washing my face and brushing my teeth...I'm just sort of half awake and my thought process isn't there in the morning, lol.
jeweluv likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search