Help me ...Moms with older children !!!

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Teagan has just turned 10 and has noticed hair growth !! She has mentioned this a couple times and we have talked about the change in the body.

But here is the question. Do I ask her if she wants to shave ?

Thank You tasha_mae

September 11th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have the experience with older kids, but from my own personal experience... I beg of you to at least offer to show her how and then let her decide! I was the last girl in my grade to shave my legs and I remember being MORTIFIED every time we had to change for gym class. I hated wearing shorts, and FINALLY when my mom showed me how she didn't really teach me any 'technique' lol I know it's not rocket science, but I had some pretty cut up legs for a while! lol... The shick Intuition razor (has the shave cream, & moisturizer already on it) would be great for a beginner.
September 11th, 2012, 06:19 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom wouldn't "let" me shave when I was 11 and pretty much totally developed. I basically just went and did it behind her back because I had to!! I also started my period and never even told her. She asked me three years later if I had started yet.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 11th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom let me shave really early because kids were picking on me riding the school bus. I was glad she did even though it was a lot earlier than other kids. I started before all of the other kids too so it makes sense to me.
Have you noticed if she is upset or self consciense about it? Is it really noticeable? I don't think it would be a bad thing if you let her shave. The first few times help her though!!

September 11th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wait till they ask, usually around 11/12. I've got a few with some really hairy legs, and because I don't really feel like my Grade 6-er really needs to worry about having hair free legs at all time I just use a hair removal cream every 3-4 weeks. She's happy as long as she doesn't have really hairy legs. If you're talking underarm hair, I don't know, they all just take care of that themselves when they've graduated to a razor, but so far none of my girls have been early developers.

Sidenote, found a homemade recipe for shaving cream on pinterest the other day, I'm totally gonna try it. There's far too many cans hitting the garbage in this house already and can't imagine when there's more "users".
September 11th, 2012, 07:48 AM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL...tmi, but where is the hair growth? If she is embarassed bc it's under her arms and maybe her friends can see, I would say you could ask her if she wantes to shave it. If it's on her legs , then most kids have it....and if it's in private places, well than no one will see and you can just explain, as you did, that this is a part of becoming a woman.

So hard, I swear that girls go through all this so much earlier now a days!!! <<<hugs>>>>>>>>>> poor mama!! Lol....

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
September 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrymom4 View Post
Teagan has just turned 10 and has noticed hair growth !! She has mentioned this a couple times and we have talked about the change in the body.

But here is the question. Do I ask her if she wants to shave ?

my daughter just turned 9 and is in the same boat, her legs arent so noticeable but it is under her arms...im debating letting her shave.

September 11th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Yes under the arm is where there is not alot, but enought that I think she is uncomfortable. I am not to worries about her legs yet. But I like the idea of the cream, never thought of that.

Thank You tasha_mae

September 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope the creams work for her. They never have for me or my girls and I really wish they did. It would be so much easier than shaving.

My girls must be late bloomers. Abbey just started shaving a few months ago. I honestly don't remember when Meagan started but I don't feel like it was that long ago. (maybe that's just me not wanting to admit that she's growing up. )

But to answer your question, I think if she's noticing the hair herself and you've already had some conversations about it then yes, it's time to ask her if she wants to shave and then if she decides she wants to, show her how.

Good luck to both of you! Hugs!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search