What's your story?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By mamaginger
  • 2 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By Countrymom4
  • 3 Post By jeweluv
  • 3 Post By Buggymom
  • 3 Post By mamma_anna

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2012, 02:03 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How/when did you become a Christian or if you grew up in church all of your life, when did you feel like you had a major change or rededication?

I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school through 8th grade. I had a friend down the street from me who invited me to her Assembly's of God youth group when I was 11. My parents let me go on Wednesday nights but soon started to dislike me being involved in a non-catholic group. They didn't stop me from going but there was a lot of griping and criticizing. I felt like God was drawing me closer to him and telling me there was so much more to him than a ritualistic stained glass church service. I felt like I had a major change at 11 years old. The AG church turned out to be really wild and I left there when I was 17 and have been at my current church since then. The denomination is "Congregational Holiness" but it doesn't really mean anything to me (the actual denomination anyway). We are very different from most of the other CH churches in our denom. I've never even looked up the official beliefs of the CH denomination. I just know my church preaches the Bible and we have the most humble preachers in the world. I love it!
Buggymom likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My first 4-5 years were also in the Catholic church. My parents left and attended a non denom. church for the rest of my childhood. I went to a private christian school for K, and grade 2-5 (grade 1 I was homeschooled, but that didn't last) I became a christian with my teacher in Grade 2. When I was in grade 5 there was a lot of problems with bullying and cliques in my class (there were 9 kids and only 4 girls) I moved to the public school after that. At my new school it wasn't cool to be a christian, so I never said anything about it. I tried to avoid church (faking sick, putting up a fight until my mom didn't bother forcing me.) I attended summer camp for a few years and there I rededicated my life, I later did a leadership training and worked on staff. That was when my relationship with Christ really grew!
When I moved to the city, I church shopped for quite a while when I didn't feel at home at my husband's church. Eventually I found my last church and knew that I was home! My husband was away so much (for months at a time) it didn't matter we were at different churches. Now that we are out here, we've found a bible study that we are liking, and still looking for a home church.
Buggymom and mamaginger like this.
September 21st, 2012, 08:00 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I grew up in non denom. churches. My Father was a alcoholic gone christian and he had a lot of passion for the church. So we were very involved, at one time we drove 2 hours one way to church I went to public school becaue thats all we have here, but we went to alot of bible confrences and that type of things.

When I moved out i never went to church , then meet DH and we never went to church. It was about 10 years before we started going a agian.

When did I feel the charge of the Lord, probly at about the of 9 - 10. I remember being at a full gospial conferance in a large room full of children and just feeling God and I remember even crying.
Buggymom likes this.

September 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Soooo interesting to read all of these!!

Well, my mother was always spiritual. (Jewish by birth) Kind of humorous, but basically if anyone we loved ever died, we wouls almost worship them as angels. The day they died became a "lucky day" which is twisted , I know...but it's kind of what she taught us. My father was raised strictly Catholic but was a complete athiest in the house. When I was a teen I had some struggles. I developed Anorexia and has severe anxiety. For whatever strange reason, whenever I was at my witts end I would walk into our town church, when no one was there, and just pray. No one ever told me to do this it was just sort of my instinct. Almost like I had no where else to turn.

After I recovered from Anorexia I found myself going to church at different times. This one time, I met this really awesome old lady who must have saw something in me and she said to me "I think you are in this church for a reason. I think GOD has brought you here." It really hit me and I enrolled myself in the adult Catholic education program. I studied for a year, got baptised and confirmed. I LOVED my priest and my parish. They were Roman Catholic but it was never the way most people perceived it. However, there was always a part of me that didn't quite believe that I was literally eating the body of Christ, had to say specific prayers, or that the priest could absolve me of my sins. I was in a bad relationship, engaged, and finally found the strength to end it. I met and fell in love with my Jewish husband. I kept going to church every Sunday even though I knew he didn't like it; he enver said anything of course. I began to feel uncomfortable and stopped going. I tried out Judiasm for a while.

Then a couple of years later I met my BFF. she basically witnessed to me. I'll never forget asking her is she though GOD was mad at me bc I stopped going to church or that I had to have all the sacrements to have faith and be loved. She gave me such forgiving insight and that it was drew me to her parish. She softly witnessed to me for years as I learned moer about it. When I was pregnant with my second daughter, I had some spotting and another genetic scare. I was still wearing a Jewish ring to show solidarity to my husband. As I was wheeled into the sono at the ER, I took the ring off, put my trust in the LORD, and took a leap of faith! My anna is perfect today and her middle name is Faith. Strange enough, one day when I was about 5 months pregnant, my husband askecd my step daughter what middle name she should have. We are not a religious family. I so wanted Faith but never said anything bc it had never come up and I thought no way would my THIEST/JEWISH dh go for it. Well, astonishing MY STEP DAUGHTER SUGGESTED "FAITH!" I almost fell over! Then, thinking my dh would shoot it down immediately he ACTUALLY SAID "I LOVE IT, I NEVER HAD FAITH AND NOW I WILL." This was a huge testimony to me!!! My little Anna is a little angel and brings so much peace to my life despite my worrisome pregnancy.

When she was about 6 months old I basically asked my friend how to REALLY do thisand she guided me through accepting CHRIST at 11:55PM on August 5th. I was so worried that in the moment, maybe I wasn't fully believing and trusting or that I was not thinking and feeling with a fully believing heart BUT I WANTED IT. Ever since then I have been trying to learn as I go. Although I don't go to church, I read my bff's father's sermons every Sunday and Wednesday and have wonderful fellowship with them. I continue to hope and pray for my family....................

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
September 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I grew up in the catholic church. My dad and his extended family were baptist. My dad became catholic after marrying my mom. We always went to church. I had to go to public school because they couldn't afford catholic school for the three of us. We went to the monday night religion classes though.

When I became a young adult I stopped going to church. I met hubby and we never went. We went one time and then it took like 8 years before we went back to church.

As long as I can remember I have always felt God....even when I was away from church. When my dad passed away in 2005 it renewed my faith. I can't even explain it...everyday it gets stronger. I can feel Jesus all of the time.

We actually started going to a Lutheran church and then we are back at the Catholic church. We'll go to the Lutheran church time to time for worship...it's pretty similar. I like how they have VBS and fun things for kids there.

Worship isn't just Sundays though for me...I am constantly thinking of God and talking to him. I read the bible often and any other Christian books. I listen to Christian music when I can. I have this need to constantly feel "lifted" by The Holy Spirit.
jeweluv, mamma_anna and mamaginger like this.

September 25th, 2012, 01:00 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Erica, the story of your daughter's name is amazing!! Brought tears to my eyes!!!
My name is Anna Faith!! My youngest daughter's middle name is also Faith. It's purely coincidence because her birth mother named her but I like to think we would have chosen her name anyway.

Sorry my story is long.....

I was born and raised in a very small rual southern town where everyone went to church on Sunday. It was just part of the culture. I felt completely at home in the church like it was just an extention of my family. My parents were and still are very devout Christians but they are very quiet and private about it. They never "made" us go to church with them and never really talked much about their faith with us. But even so, for me they were a huge influence in me accepting Christ for myself.

I can't ever remember a time when I didn't believe in God or didn't consider myself a Christian. But when I was 11 my twin sister died very suddenly and my father lost his job just a few months later. It was a very hard time for my family. I think we were all questioning our faith. I know I was. I still knew God was real but I doubted His love for me and I was really angry with Him.

My dad got a job as a facilities manager for a large church which seemed like a great fit for him but it meant moving all the way across the country to a big city. The church paid the tuition for my brother and me to go to a Christian school nearby and they helped my mom find a job as well.

It seemed wonderful on the surface but there were a lot of things going on in the church that were not what they appeared to be. To sum it up, the senior pastor and several others in positions of leadership were not practicing what they preached. They were power hungry and more concerned with how they and the church "looked" to the community than with the church actually being a community of faith in service of Christ.

I no longer felt safe or welcomed in the church and I really fell into a spiritual depression. God was real. He was a God of love but He didn't love me. I wasn't worthy of it. I was too sinful. God had left me all alone. I still prayed often but always in tears, begging God to take me back. I never read my bible or went to church unless I had to for school.

Then I went to college and met Rick. He had also been brought up in the church but was struggling in his faith. The more we got to know each other, the more we realized that our struggles were very similar and we both wanted the same things out of life and on some level that included a real relationship with Christ. So we joined a campus bible study and started praying for each other. I can't remember one specific moment or day when either of us recommited our lives to Christ. It was more gradual.

When we got engaged we went through marriage classes at a church and made a commitment to have a Christ centered marrage and so far 17 years later we still do. And after several years of searching, we have a church home where we all feel the joy of the Holy Spirit. We are loved and safe there and we can serve Christ honestly and courageously.
jeweluv, Buggymom and mamaginger like this.

September 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's a great story Anna....but wow...so sorry to hear about your sister at such a young age!!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 25th, 2012, 03:54 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW, Mama Anna THAT IS AMAZING that this is your name...hmm, makes you think right? I don't believe in coincidences really.

That was so touching. I am so sorry about your sister but your story is so moving and so pure. It is almost like you found CHRIST again for yourself. Amazing...absolutely amazing!

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search