A sermon written by my pastorl; in need of some guidance...=)

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2012, 05:26 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey, Ladies

Okay, so I recently read a sermon my pastor wrote that he sends me since I can't go to church right now. I was a bit confused by some and included some of his writing as well as some scripture he was using to illustrate his point. The sentences in red are basically my questions pertaining to the written. I'm wondering if you might be able to shed some light on this and see if I was misterpreting it. My pastor doesn't always explain things in a way I understand and I end up feeling stupid or frustrated.

This message is about people and the proof of, or lack thereof their relationship with God and
whether or not he is more important to them than anything else.
In many cases it would be hard to prove in a court of law, based on the testimony of some
peoples words or actions that an individual is a believer because most (if not all) people let
enough of the world creep into their spiritual life that they instead exhibit more of a worldly
attitude towards things eternal than they ought even sometimes denying the God that saved them.
Although many people are simply attracted to or distracted by things, I suspect some are simply
afraid to do as God asks because there is a fear of the unknown that hinders them from taking the
necessary steps of faith they need in order to “go on to perfection” (as the writer of Hebrews puts
it). Others have become confident that the mere religious observance of “faith” is in itself enough
to please God and so the testimony of their actions is superficial if there is a testimony at all.
As we look at our text in Exodus 6 this morning I am sure that there is a mixture of the above
things, among others that caused the children of Israel to accept the bondage under which they
lived instead of seeking to be free from the corruption of the world in which they lived and it is
in this vein of thought that I wish to make application for us today.
The question is, “Will God have to take you to heaven someday ‘kicking and screaming’ about
not wanting to go or will you be ready?”

Our Conversations with our LORD God

A) Beware of your inner debates
We should never enter into a conversation with God based on what might seem logical to us
when the LORD God has already made it plain to us that he has given us a direction that
needs to be followed.

I feel sort of confused about this because since I can't heasr GOD, I do often start off prayer telling him what I'm confused/scared about and most of the time it is my logical thoughts or questions I refer to because well, all I have is that. Does he simply mean that we shouldn't impose our thoughts on GOD; as if we know better? Or, does he mean that we should already know via the bible what GOD wants, so to question at all is wrong. If this is true, I'm still a little unclear of what GOD wants. I know he wants us to do the basics like have faith in him, trust him, love thy father/mother/neighbor...etc., but in certain and specific situations I don't always know.

Exodus 6:12 And Moses spake before the LORD, saying, Behold, the children of Israel
have not hearkened unto me; how then shall Pharaoh hear me, who am of uncircumcised
lips?

Moses reasoned within himself that if the people of God would not listen to him then
Pharaoh probably would not listen either. This debate with God could be looked at by a man
in two distinct ways. First we might think that Moses recognized his inability to persuade
others to God’s call and that it was merely his fault that they would not hear. The second
(which is severely wanting of any common sense) is that the LORD God might have made a
mistake or had some other underlying reason for having Moses make the call to his people to
follow him. Let us again review the original call of the LORD to Moses regarding the
account…
Exodus 6:1 Then the LORD said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to
Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive
them out of his land.

There was no need of any logical reasoning from Moses because the LORD God already told
him that he was going to set things in motion that would cause Pharaoh to “drive” the
children of Israel out of this land of bondage. They should not have needed to be driven!
It is an unfortunate trait of humanity to constantly question the LORD God in matters of his
plan. Men usually cannot agree to the best way to do things even within their own courses of
action and according to his best laid plan there will always be dissenters that believe that
there is a “better way”. One of the best examples of the futility of all of men’s plans is in the
account of the prodigal son. We must remember that this young man thought that his destiny
was at the beckon of his own hand and so he ordered his steps accordingly. Unfortunately,
the prodigal quickly ran head first into the wall of his own limitation until there was but one
course of action that he could follow that was not death. It was abject humility before his
father where he would submit himself as a servant!

Do you think that GOD understands when we have doubt even when he promises us eternal life? I don't have perfect faith and sometimes, even if I know in the VERY end it will be okay, I worry about the now and my loved ones/self while we are here.

Things will only get done and done right when we do things God’s way

Exodus 6:13 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, and gave them a charge
unto the children of Israel, and unto Pharaoh king of Egypt, to bring the children of Israel
out of the land of Egypt.

In the end, it is plain from the account that the word of God is not just for his people to heed
but for everyone to heed.
For those of us who have been reading our bibles we all know what happened to the land of
Egypt and the price that the Egyptian people paid for following the misguided leadership of
Pharaoh. Nevertheless, the real impetus that got Israel on the move was the work of the
LORD God where Pharaoh was forced to expel Israel from his borders even as they were
ready to simply accept the added bondage that would have maintained their “status quo”.
Truthfully, Israel was not all that ready to just pack up and leave until all that was Egypt had
been destroyed. The last thing (and that which probably gave them the biggest push out of
the door) had to do with the death of the firstborn. Clearly, if you won’t do it for yourself
will you do it for your children? Egypt lost the first generation because of their wickedness
toward the people of God. It caused Israel to think real hard about their situation and the
LORD’s choice of Moses (as one child rescued when all others were being put to death) was
brilliant as a result.

Moses I believe would have been happy to remain a shepherd in the service of his father in
law Jethro, to raise his two sons free from Egyptian bondage nevertheless it was needful that
he returned there for the sake of his people. This is God’s intent for all of his children.

Okay, so this may be wrong in the eyes of GOD but when my pastor said that it was brilliant for him to take the first born, I kind of felt differently. I get that it would make the people move in the right direction, but it is hard to think that any innocent child dying, or parents even if they aren't saved, losing a child, is brilliant. I "get" what happened as a result but perhaps my human brain is making me cringe.

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
September 27th, 2012, 07:24 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As far as the first question....I'm assuming your pastor is referring to something that is plainly obvious from the Bible that God wants ALL believers to follow....such as "do not steal" "do not lie" "do not commit adultery"...etc. These things are plain and obvious and we shouldn't try to argue with God or convince him that it's okay to lie this time because you're trying not to hurt someone's feelings or something. I don't think this applies to decisions you are praying about or something to do with your future and you aren't certain what God's will is for your life. God absolutely wants you to talk to him and always come to him first. An example that would support what your pastor said would be Jonah. God specifically told him to go to Nineveh and Jonah just flat out didn't want to and ran away purposefully. We know how that turned out. If we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is telling us to do or not to do something and we try to get out of it then yes, that's wrong. But if we are just confused and unsure and continue to seek God about it...that is a good thing.

2nd question: I absolutely believe God understands when we doubt. Jesus TOLD Peter he was going to deny him 3 times before morning the night Jesus was arrested. Peter swore he wouldn't. He did. Jesus looked him right in the eye on the 3rd time. God didn't strike him down. Jesus didn't wash his hands of him. In fact...Peter was completely depressed and ashamed and went back to his fishing job after Jesus died. The first person to see Jesus at his resurrection was Mary Magdalene. His exact words to her were "Go tell the disciples....AND Peter." That verse just makes me want to cry. Apparently Peter had just gone back to his old life and wasn't even considered one of the disciples anymore. But Jesus called him out by name. He wanted Peter to know he had risen and he still considered him one of his disciples even though Peter didn't consider himself one anymore. I use this example because doubting isn't as bad as outright DENYING you know Jesus and yet Jesus still forgave and loved Peter...called him out by name....and Peter was one of the main followers to spread the Gospel and write several books of the Bible.

As for the last question: There's a lot in the Old Testament that is disturbing. There's lots of killing, punishment and things that seem harsh. I know what you are saying about all of the firstborn children dying as a result of the Pharaoh's refusal to let the slaves be freed. If you actually put yourself back in that time with those real people and imagine the horror. It's awful. When I think about Hell....it is awful...unfathomable....I mean...can't they just fall into a burning pit and die? Do they have to actually BURN FOREVER AND EVER??? I don't understand. All I know is He's God and I know he is a loving, merciful, GOOD God so I can't think about that. All I can do is make sure I don't go there and I tell everyone I can about God so they won't go there either. But ultimately it's up to them. God doesn't "send" anyone to Hell. They choose to go there by their rebellion and rejection of God. If you think about the Flood...it's even worse than the killing of the firstborn because every single person and creature alive was killed except for those on the Ark. How terrifying must that have been for the whole of humanity.

Sometimes out of the "Trinity"....I feel like I only "get" Jesus. I guess because he was human. People saw him, knew him, recorded his words and actions. He was a real person on this earth. He was always so gentle, kind, loving, and peaceful. A verse I quoted from Hebrews in another thread says He is "the exact imprint" of God's nature. And all the other verses where Jesus told the disciples "If you've seen ME, you've seen the Father." That has to mean that God is the same as Jesus. Even though we see him displaying a lot of harsh judgement and consequences in the O.T.....He's still the same God of the N.T. and the God who sent us Jesus. Its almost like there are phases of how God deals with humanity. We happen to live in a period of grace. We were born AFTER the cross. Think of all the believers BEFORE the cross. They never knew Jesus. They heard prophesies of his coming but that's all they had. We have all the stories. WE have his words. We have the New Testament. We have Grace. No more animal sacrifices or weird (to us) rules to follow from the old law. We know the whole story....well almost. Now we wait....just like those before the cross waited for the Messiah to come....now we wait for him to return and make a new heaven and a new earth.

Ok, this is probably 18 paragraphs long now....so i'll stop! lol

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 27th, 2012, 08:22 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG, many thanks..Ginger, never too long...I love to learn and it is so generous of you!!!

WOW, I'm speechless in regards to what you said about getting "JESUS" in the trinity the most even though they are the same. Sometimes I fear GOD more than I fear Jesus; which makes no sense.

The story about PETER was really a testimony to me right now. WOW! That makes me want to cry too....I have chills. (so wierd, but since I was little...during very emotinal/GOD moving moments I have gotten goosebumps on my body. Even if it is 100 degrees out, I get this rush through my body, my hair stand on end...and I'd like to think that is the HOLY spirit within me showing me "this is one of those times." Weird, though..I experienced it before I was saved too. Well, anyway...that happened when I read what you said about Peter.

There is still so much history and basics I need to know and learn in my bible that I know will help in references used in scripture I read. It's hard to remember all the names. Sometimes I get down on myself because I forget.

Ya know, just today I was thinking about my Grandma and Grandpa who were Jewish and passed away. Although, you never know, I don't think they accepted CHRIST and it is really hard to think about because as imperfect humans as they were, to me and to a lot, they were pretty nice people. My grandfather was a scientist and actually developed the cure for Hemophelia. not that this makes him any better or any worse, but he always had this humble attitude about his successes and always advised us never to let a doctor talk down to us. My grandma was so loving and so warm and it is so hard to believe she is in hell.ths of my mind that if she refused CHRIST, it was her decision and yet bc of what I see in my dh and even some people close to me, I can't help but think that their feelings, which I've talked about that are not in their control, dictated their decision to not accept CHRIST.......

..............and then I feel blessed because for whatever reason my feelings that I do not control, allowed my to accept CHRIST.

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search