Chores

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Corinthians10:4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Do you children do chores around the house ?
Do/will you pay them an allowance ?

September 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes all my girls have chores. They're all responsible for their own bedrooms and shared bathrooms and laundry. The six of us share responsibility for the rest of the house. They don't get an allowance for chores. We just consider it part of being in a family. Everyone contributes.

September 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you children do chores around the house ? my plan is to have my kids start helping with tasks at a very early age. As they get older their responsibilities will increase
Do/will you pay them an allowance ? They will get an allowance, I think it's very important to teach kids money management early, but $$ will not directly correlate with the chores....that said no chores, no money!

September 30th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you children do chores around the house ? I've always had my daughter help me out around the house. When she gets older I will ask that she is more responsible about her specific duties. Right now she has to be asked and reminded before she will do her chores.
Do/will you pay them an allowance ? I tried an allowance but she wasn't interested...I think because she's so young. I will bring the idea of an allowance back into the picture though.

September 30th, 2012, 07:15 PM
My children pick a popcile stick with a chore writen on each day. They get a sticker /reward chart for each chore. Then they can pick the family event we will do.

I was thinking of maybe an allowance for the girls, Don't know.

October 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son does what I tell him to do but I did make up a list of jobs and how much he could earn for doing them. This way he has a little money to spend if we go on a trip or something. We would end up buying him something anyway so at least this way he's earning it! he dos things like unload the dishwasher, take up the bathroom trash bags, clean his own sink, pick up dirty clothes from bathrooms and take them to the laundry room. He knows how to sort the laundry. I make him pick up his stuff from common areas but I usually have to help him with his room because it gets so out of control. He has bunk beds, which are hard for ME to make up so I usually do it and just make him help me. He likes to fold small towels/washcloths. He helps feed and take care of pets. He'll help me pull weeds if I pay him. Haha

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

October 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
Teagans and Kyrens chores to pick from are - Laundry(wash all fold hers), Clean room, tidy porch, set table, Vacuum kitchen or Living room, Wash(swiffer wash) Kitchen or living room, wash windows/mirrors.

Cohen's feed dogs, set table, vacuum or wash floors, clean room, dust living room, vacuum couches.

I think that all of them.

October 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have chores and commissions in our house. Addi has certain chores that she has to do, right now those include making her bed, picking up her toys, bringing her dirty clothes to the laundry room, and straightening up her bathroom. We also give her commissions though so she can learn the work=money. We set out different chores each week like cleaning the baseboards, wiping down the front of cabinets, folding socks, picking weeds, etc. She can choose 4 of those chores each week and earn a 1.00 each/week for a total of 4.00 each week (her age). These tasks are above and beyond her usual chores and she doesn't have to do them, it is her choice. But if she wants to buy something she can earn the money if she wants to.
crunchywannabe likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

October 2nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Corinthians10:4 View Post
We have chores and commissions in our house. Addi has certain chores that she has to do, right now those include making her bed, picking up her toys, bringing her dirty clothes to the laundry room, and straightening up her bathroom. We also give her commissions though so she can learn the work=money. We set out different chores each week like cleaning the baseboards, wiping down the front of cabinets, folding socks, picking weeds, etc. She can choose 4 of those chores each week and earn a 1.00 each/week for a total of 4.00 each week (her age). These tasks are above and beyond her usual chores and she doesn't have to do them, it is her choice. But if she wants to buy something she can earn the money if she wants to.
Thats a really great idea! I love how there is a difference between what you do as a member of your household, and the 'option' to earn money. I do think that it is important for kids to learn about money and how to earn it! I may use this in the future!

October 2nd, 2012, 07:05 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't credit for the idea unfortunately. I took it from Dave Ramsey lol.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

October 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Everyone pitches in around here, and they don't get paid for doing regular chores. My older girls get paid for farm work, but they end up putting it all in their savings anyways.

I have tried allowance before, and was never organized enough to keep it up for longer than a few weeks at a time. In theory it works really well and I was worried about not teaching my kids proper financial skills. Turns out that just from taking them shopping, talking about what stuff costs, how to get the best bang for your buck my kids have become quite practical. So it's not just from allowance they learn, you can instill the values in them just from seeing how you do it. And I do appreciate it when they say "give part of your allowance to the church" and it is a good habit, but it doesn't address their hearts if they're only doing it because you're telling them to. (something to be said for it too of course).
October 4th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Veteran
They do chores with no allowance.

Oldest is 7- He has to clean his room, make his bed, put his laundry away,washes table a few times a week

Second is 5-Does all the same and dishes once a week

Third is 3- Clean room, put his laundry away and wash dinner table a few times a week

They also have to clean wherever they leave toys,books,movies

They are really good at helping whenever I need it so I don't assign very many.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search