Anyone else?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mamaginger
  • 1 Post By Buggymom
  • 1 Post By acj0890

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
acj0890's Avatar Veteran
Does anyone else have a husband / partner / etc. who is a different religion? For example, I am baptist, but my husband is catholic. If so, how did you decide which religion to raise your children? How do you deal with the different beliefs?

Both of us have always followed our particular religion, but neither of us were regular church goers. Since we've been together, we have accepted the different things the other believes and left it at that. We would like to baptize our 4 month old son, but we are at a disagreement on which church to do it at. We got married at a chapel with a non-denominational preacher to not have to choose between our churches, and were not planning on having children. But of course God had a different plan for us and our wonderful son came along! I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the situation.
October 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I grew up catholic but was eager to leave it. We now attend the church where my husband grew up and we love it. My catholic sister married a baptist and neither of them will officially decide to convert so they just don't really go to either. They have two kids who were dedicated at the Baptist church. I think you have to choose. Somebody has to give in or either both go somewhere completely new. Otherwise you and your kids will end up unchurched altogether. Maybe it would help you to really study the main doctrines of both and decide what you agree with more. Baptizing a child in a particular denomination doesn't mean anything. Baptism is an outward sign to the world of the belief already in your heart. Jesus was baptized at age 30 in a river completely unassociated with any church or religion. I know some religions claim baptism "saves" you....it doesn't. And I know some may claim you must somehow remain faithful to that denomination if you are baptized there. You do not. Baptism is about the individual, their belief/profession and God/Jesus. It's not about a church or a denomination.
Buggymom likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

October 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm Catholic but we were not married at the Catholic Church so I was told that our marriage was not seen by the church and I am not supposed to take the Eucharist unless we have a priest perform this sacrament with us and first baptize my husband Catholic. We haven't done that....because I don't see that in the bible anywhere. We were turned off by that for a long time.

I still take communion since nobody at our Catholic Church we attend now really knows. No, I do not feel guilty about it either, LOL. I just wonder if your husband knows that he is not supposed to take communion since you all were married in a non denominational Chapel (like we were). Would he then be more swayed toward going to a different type of church like Baptist....or maybe Lutheran (it's very similar to Catholic but not all of the sacraments and it's more laid back.....it's considered protestant)? We go to the Lutheran Church sometimes too. They have VBS and Sunday school. It's very kid friendly and I enjoy it there. Lutheran's do baptism like Catholics and communion in the seventh grade instead of second grade like Catholics.

We had our daughter baptized Catholic and will let her take her first communion in the second grade. At our Catholic Church they told us that her being baptized was just a way for the Holy Spirit to move through her and welcome her into the Catholic Church. I agree with Ginger...I don't think it "saves" you to be baptized as an infant like my mom thinks (who is strict old school Catholic).

I don't think any one "religion is right". To me, being a Christian means following the words of Jesus Christ in the bible. That is what I am teaching my daughter.
mamaginger likes this.

October 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM
acj0890's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the responses, neither of us have attended church since we got married, so the communion issue hasn't come up. I did not know that though, so that is a new one on me! I guess I should say I'm more southern baptist, and my church doesn't do communion, so I don't know much about it. I agree that the being baptized doesn't necessarily "save" you, its mainly something special we want done for our child and want our families to be involved in. It would mean a lot to me to do it in the church I got baptized in, just like it would mean a lot to him to do it in his for the same reason. We have decided we will let our son choose which church he wants to follow when he's older. I guess its just something we will have to talk through ourselves.
Countrymom4 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search