Changing Churches

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
DreamChaser's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When/for what reasons do you think it is time to leave your current church and start attending a new one?

My DH and I are considering switching - there isn't one particular reason, it is a collection of things. For one there hasn't been a Bible study we can attend for a long time - our church offers Sunday School and mid-week groups, but none of them are doing studies from the Bible - rather they are reading various books by Christian authors - while the books might offer some scripture, they are more an author's point of view with scriptural referances than a study from the Word.

Another issue - and I notice it more than my DH because I have been attending this church longer (13 years next month) - is it seems that the church as drifted away from seeking to do God's will and is instead coming up with plans and asking God to bless them (when they may be not what He wants from this church). I think there was a time when this church honestly seeked God's will and move forward with them and we saw great things happen, but now it seems it like they have a master plan and find frustration when things don't go they way they planned (it is hard to describe).

There is some other stuff, but I won't bore you with the details.

Bottom line - is we don't feel like we are growing there anymore. We aren't the type that just goes to church, we are very involved there (serving on various teams), but spiritually we starving.

Do you think are reasons are valid?
July 23rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
I really don't have any advice for you, but I do believe that your concerns are valid. Recently my MIL switched churches for pretty much the same reasons you just pointed out and she had been with that church for a very long time as well. She visited a couple of churches and decided upon the one that met her needs as a christian. That is the church that I have just joined as well.

Good luck in your journey and I will pray for you both.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

July 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks - we appreciate the prayers!

BTW I have been meaning to tell you - I just love your siggy! That is a beautiful family you have there.
July 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
Thanks dear....

July 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
those sound like great reasons to leave.
the only reason I left my other church is because I graduated from high school and drifted away from church.
I haven't missed a sunday yet in over 2 years since I came back to church..

It is really important for you to find a Bible preaching, Bible believing church. Using books for sunday school is bologne. Those are opinions of others and most likely not actual answers!
good luck in finding a new church. saying a prayer for you

July 23rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
Quote:
It is really important for you to find a Bible preaching, Bible believing church. Using books for sunday school is bologne. Those are opinions of others and most likely not actual answers!
good luck in finding a new church. saying a prayer for you[/b]
See that is probably the biggest issue - the Sunday School class I was in for years was great - it followed a standard plan that read a passage from the Bible and we discussed the scripture we just read - that same class now has been slowly going through Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life (which we studied as a church as part of 40 days of purpose early last year) - great book, but I have some issues with it - and like you said it is a discussion of one person's opinion (and never a critical I might add) and not an in-depth Bible study. I can take Bible study books that have you go to the Scriptures and guide you towards greater study, but these books don't do that - they quote scripture, and the way the classes are run they don't have you look to see what the Bible says.

Thanks for the prayers ladies - we really appreciate it! It will be hard to leave since I have so many friends there, but I know our spirtual growth is important. There are some great churches in our area - we just need to find the one where we can get plugged in.
July 24th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
good luck in finding a new church. saying a prayer for you[/b]
See that is probably the biggest issue - the Sunday School class I was in for years was great - it followed a standard plan that read a passage from the Bible and we discussed the scripture we just read - that same class now has been slowly going through Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life (which we studied as a church as part of 40 days of purpose early last year) - great book, but I have some issues with it - and like you said it is a discussion of one person's opinion (and never a critical I might add) and not an in-depth Bible study. I can take Bible study books that have you go to the Scriptures and guide you towards greater study, but these books don't do that - they quote scripture, and the way the classes are run they don't have you look to see what the Bible says.

Thanks for the prayers ladies - we really appreciate it! It will be hard to leave since I have so many friends there, but I know our spirtual growth is important. There are some great churches in our area - we just need to find the one where we can get plugged in.
[/b]
I don't know if I necessarily agree with the above statement. Books are definetly not the bible, and you have to be discerning, but I have learned some great stuff from other's perspective. And even the bible is interpreted different by one person to the next sometimes.

I can tell that you are not taking leaving your church lightly. But instead of leaving, do you think maybe God placed you right there for a reason? If changes are needed, maybe you are put there for that, to get people thinking, and to possibly have some changes made.
I don't know of course, but I just wanted to offer a different perspective. It could very well be that it is time for you to go elswhere. I would pray about it (which I am sure you are). And I hope you find a wonderfull church family should you decide to leave or if you stay, I hope your efforts are welcomed.
July 24th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Quote:
I can tell that you are not taking leaving your church lightly. But instead of leaving, do you think maybe God placed you right there for a reason? If changes are needed, maybe you are put there for that, to get people thinking, and to possibly have some changes made.[/b]
That is a very good point and I thought about that later....sometimes the Lord puts us in situations in hopes that we will help make a change...That change could very easily be the thing that the Lord has set us out to accomplish...something to think and pray about

July 25th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
After reading the above posts, I thought that maybe I would add something.

Yes, you have valid reasons for leaving. And yes, sometimes God does put us in situations in hopes that we might make a change...BUT:

You need spiritual nourishment! If you aren't getting it at your church, you need to look elsewhere. You need Bible believing fellowship! If you feel that the church is going in the wrong direction, it is time to leave.

My advice would be to change churches, but when you do write a letter to the congregation as to why you are leaving. This may open their eyes to the not so great changes that are occuring.

Hope that helps!

July 25th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Yes you are right in that we aren't taking this lightly - this was the congregation in which I came to Christ & was baptized, it is where I met my DH and where we were married. And don't get me wrong I have no problem with books outside of the Bible - you are right you can get some good insight from them - my issue (and DH's) is that the books are being used at the exclusion of the Bible - which is alarming to us. I do truely believe that God will put you in a situation for a purpose, but in this case I really have become to believe that the opposite is true - that He has wanted us to go elsewhere for awhile, but we haven't listened. There really isn't an outlet for us to promote change - to the contray - we constantly get lectures in church about how not accepting the path they are going in is wrong. DH and I are very involved so there really isn't a way for us to just go and not tell anyone and we will have to explain why. Perhaps that will open some eyes, but maybe it will just label us as disloyal.

My DH has already contacted a church we are interested is checking out - I actually went to a singles group there years ago before I met DH and it is a Bible teaching and preaching church with a warm church family. We will probably attend this Sunday.

Thanks again for the prayers ladies - I really do appreciate it
July 25th, 2006, 07:00 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
awesome!
like you, I read christian "self help" books. nothing wrong with that but when it is being used in place of the Bible, that is wrong!

July 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Natalies_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I honestly couldn't have stumbled across this thread at a better time. I'm debating about changing churches. I feel like I can't grow at the one I'm currently at. Lately, all the sermons have been about the new church, need money, blah blah blah... it's really irritating, especially for a mom of soon to be two children and one income home. I don't feel spiritually fed there - so I'm seeking elsewhere, and I've not yet found a new place that we like. It's really hard too, because I love the church people I know now. They're wonderful, it's just the actual sermons and church isn't anymore...

</div>
July 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been in the same situation as you. First we had attended a church for many years and were very involved with it. My husband was an elder and I was Sunday School Superintendent. We were both on the board. Then tragedy struck our church. Our pastor took his own life. It was a devastating time for our church and family to say the least. The enemy really tore us all apart. We left the church 4 months after that happen. We went to a different church for 3 years. We got involved doing things. But there was still something missing from there. After much prayer my dh and I realized that there was great worship but the word of God teaching just was missing. We just left the church. We really didn't hear much from the pastor. It was sad. Even to this day I just feel very uncomfortable when I see people from there. We then attended a different church for a year. During that time we got to know great people. But then again we just knew something wasn't right. After a year we still felt like visitors. This time we sat down with the pastor and shared with him our feelings. We told him we felt God was calling us back to the first church we attended. He was great about the whole thing. He prayed with us, gave us words of encouragement. He told us to pray some more and get back to him. We did that and when we told him we were leaving he said I hated to see you go but siad I am glad you are being obedient to God. Our last Sunday there they had the congregation pray over us and they sent us out with a blessing. It was so great. I have been able to go back there or see people from there and not feel like I have to hide. We did follow God and what he wanted for us. It isn't always easy but he will bless you when you follow him. I will pray that he will show his desire to you and your husband. That you will find the church where God wants you to be. Remembe it may not be where you think you should be going but God always knows best.

July 29th, 2006, 07:44 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm new here, but couldn't help weighing in on this issue. It is SO important to be in a Bible based church. I have visited churches that are getting away from teaching from the Word and they might be entertaining, but you will always have more to learn from the Bible itself. I would just say be careful of churches that are getting away from teaching from the Bible----who knows how far away they might go. You are blessed to be in an area where you can choose to find another church. We don't really have that luxury here, but the church I go to is wonderful. They always stress sticking with the Word

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

July 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM
The church we are going to tomorrow has built into their sermon notes follow-up reading in the Bible to sermon message, an active small group program and a Bible reading plan for reading through the Bible in two years (they post the plan on their website and have bookmarks). My friend and I attended their singles ministry for a short time a few years back and found it to be wonderful - great message and great fellowship.
August 1st, 2006, 08:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just came on here to see how you made out with your decision. How did it go at your new church???? It sounds like they have the bible teaching you are looking for.

I read your post about there not being any room for the bible, and that would be enough of a reason for me to leave my church.
August 1st, 2006, 09:30 AM
Quote:
I just came on here to see how you made out with your decision. How did it go at your new church???? It sounds like they have the bible teaching you are looking for.

I read your post about there not being any room for the bible, and that would be enough of a reason for me to leave my church.[/b]

It went very well - great message from Romans 12, great worship and great fellowship. There are a lot of opportunities for us to get plugged in. DH and I started to follow the Bible reading plan they have. We feel we have found a new home.
August 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It went very well - great message from Romans 12, great worship and great fellowship. There are a lot of opportunities for us to get plugged in. DH and I started to follow the Bible reading plan they have. We feel we have found a new home.[/b]
Praise God that is wonderful that you felt so welcome! Trying to find a church you can call home is difficult. I am glad it didn't take long for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search