The story behind Joey's Bone Marrow Donor

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2012, 03:13 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I said I would stop by and share this. So here goes. Many years ago Joey's donors church had a little boy who needed a transplant. C.M. registered that time but was never called. Until July 2010. She recieved the call for Joey at the same time as her own mom was battling cancer. Not wanting to give her family anything to worry about, she told no one but her husband. Not her own 4 kids, not her siblings, not her mom.

Our doctors had asked for marrow instead of periferal blood stem cells, because marrow would be the better and safer bet for Joey. This meant that she would have to go into the OR to have the marrow extracted from her hip, instead of the easier method of extracting stem cells from her blood (after several days of injections to stimulate release of cells). But she still agreed.

The day came to donate and she still had not told her family. She wanted their focus to be on her mom, who was terminal. Her lifesource sponsor (assigned by Be The Match) picked her up and took her to the hospital she would donate at. He stayed with her all day, while her husband took care of their kids. When she returned home, the whole family was together and she told them what gift she had given to us. Her mom, knowing her cancer was terminal, felt that she had someone to one day look after.

Joey received the cells from her late that night. At Christmas we anonymously exchanged Christmas cards. We still didn't know who she was, where she was, or any other information yet. It would be nearly another year before we would finally talk and exchange names and phone numbers (and email addresses)

The day I got her information, I sent her an email. She came home from work and found my email and tells me she was so blessed. We have exchanged pictures, and I have shared Joey's new life with her. Sadly her mom passed away shortly after she donated. In fact, the timing is amazing, because her mom lost her battle the same time that Joey was struggling in his battle.

We still send a few letters here and there and if we ever go to Illinois, we are hoping to meet with her. But now, we are just blessed by her gift of life, by God's hand guiding everyone involved, and by the love and compassion a stranger gave.
November 2nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's awesome

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

November 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wonderful story! It is amazing to see how God lines things up long before we ever know we will need them.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
November 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a beautiful story, it brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

November 4th, 2012, 06:54 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! That is beautiful!

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search