Ashley is Mom of the week

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By momie2b9-20-11
  • 2 Post By momie2b9-20-11
  • 1 Post By Countrymom4
  • 2 Post By mamaginger

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 5th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I went ahead and started this as I don't think I'll have time to do 2 days worth of writing in one day with Kynslee. As it is I started on this first part a while back.

My childhood - here it goes:

I had a fairly good childhood. I was raised in a Christian home and went to the same church all my life and that helps. The main problems that we did have was with my older brothers and sisters. They were my dad’s from a previous relationship with a not so great woman so they are my half brothers and sister(I’ll mention them later). There were 5 of us kids total. 2 brothers and a sister older that are half and then me and my younger sister. I was the first born of my mom and dad. My mom didn’t get married until she was 31 and then immediately had 3 kids of my dad’s. I was born 18 months later in North Richland Hills TX. I lived in the city until I was 7 ˝ and moved in the middle of my second grade year. That was a kinda tough year as having friends at one school and then trying to make new friends mid year at a new school. And, we moved to the country in a super small town that didn’t even have a stop light. So, big change for me. I never was really popular growing up but I don’t remember that really bothering me until I was in middle school. For some reason middle school (6th -8th grade) were hard years for me. I struggled with myself and started getting more of an attitude and getting into trouble more at home. I always had a loud mouth and would often come across harshly and would get into trouble because of it. I remember one time getting into trouble (can’t remember for what) but my mom telling me I was going to get a spanking when dad came home and I ran into my room and put on 7 pairs of underwear – yes, 7 – don’t’ ask me how I got them all on And, I was also very curious. I remember one time (it was before we moved to the country so less than 7 1/2 years old but still knew better) we were at a store and I pushed the fire alarm because it said “don’t push, alarm will sound”. Well, I wanted to know what the alarm would sound like. I also had ADD and struggled with that.

My older sister and I were never really close and she would often lie about things and get me into trouble. My oldest brother was constantly getting into trouble and I remember him getting sent home from school and doing community service and having people always come check up on him and remember being kinda scared of him. My next oldest brother was very considerate and always enjoyed me and my younger sister (my oldest brother was “too tough” to be seen doing things with little girls). My oldest brother was at this time starting to sneak out of the house (he was 15) and getting into trouble with the girl next door and skipping school and such. Finally my dad gave custody of him to his real mom (who did drugs, always drunk, and had already been in prison a few times but somehow always managed to get out). Once my bro went with his real mom things went way down hill for him. He was into gangs, drugs, stealing, and anything against the law! Once he was attacked by gang members when walking home and left on the side of the road about to die. Somehow he got the strength to go home and they took him to the hospital. My dad was called and told about it and said he only had a 50/50 chance of living. I remember being soo scared and worried about him. He ended up finally getting better but didn’t change his ways and sadly ended up in prison at 18 (almost 19). My next oldest brother didn’t want to live the Christian life anymore and left home at 16 ˝. My parents had to report him as a run away since he was under age. I remember the cops bringing him home sometimes and again just being scared. Luckily, this brother didn't get into as much trouble as my oldest brother did and just mainly kept to himself. I was sad to see him go as I really loved him and he was always so much fun to be around. He’s now been married for I think 8-9 years and has a 7-8 year old son. We don’t see him much but so happy that he’s doing good with his life.

Sorry to get side tracked. Middle school came and I was often made fun of and just didn't like it. I would study and do my school work but didn’t apply myself as much as I could have. My mom was obsessed with my ADD and was often taking me to docs and even to a few social type workers. I never did like it and couldn't stand taking the different meds different docs gave me. I know they were possibly trying to help but I didn’t need that type of help just then. I remember one doc that was this strange “naturalist” that gave me a really strict diet and gave me 34 pills to take a day – YES… 34 pills a day and I was only 11. Sadly my mom made me take them all. I remember it being close to Thanksgiving and getting ready for that and getting super dizzy and just not feeling good and was cleaning with some strong chemical. I’m not sure if it was cleaning with the chemicals mixed with all the pills or just happen to have bad allergies or what but I got SUPER sick. I was already small to begin with (about 80 lbs) and couldn’t keep anything down. My doc was called and said 12 hr flu – didn’t go away so said 36hr flu – still didn’t go away and now I could hardly walk. I remember trying at times to stand up and just throwing up because I was so dizzy and couldn’t move. After about 48hrs and loosing lots of weight my parents took me to the ER in the middle of the night. I was given of shot of something to help me keep food down and said something about inner ear infection (though my ear never hurt) mixed with something caused me to be so sick. I was feeling better after the shot and finally able to go home. That's also scary for me.

High school ended up being better for me. We were still in the small town and so everyone knew me by then and some started sticking up for me and actually becoming polite to me. I was in band and enjoyed that a lot! I still wasn’t popular and often sat with friends that were though of more as weird but others were finally nice to me. I applied myself my 10-12th grade years and ended up graduating with honors.

Life at home calmed down more once my brothers left and I remember sitting around the table after dinner and my dad reading us the Bible and making it fun. My parents were both really involved in our lives and really loved us. Up until about 10-12 I remember my dad was always combing and blowing dry my hair and so much fun to have that time with my dad (the night before I got married I washed my hair and asked my dad to comb and blow dry it out for memory sake). And, I remember on Saturdays my dad would take turns bringing us to work with him (he worked half days on Sat then) and then spending the rest of the afternoon with him and going to eat somewhere special, ect… And, I remember my mom trying to do the same and doing special shopping trips with us. I also remember my mom sitting on the couch reading chapter books to me and my younger sister. I hope to some day do the same with my children.

WOW – Didn’t mean for this to be soo long!!
jeweluv likes this.
November 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Sorry I was not around this morning to start this.

Sounds like your siblings kept things interesting

November 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, my siblings did keep things interesting! But, I did my own 'mishaps' to keep things interesting also

I was very active and always climbing onto things and getting myself into scrapes when little. When I was one I knocked my front tooth out by falling out of a booster seat at a nice restaurant. My tooth actually didn't grow back in until I was about 10 or so. Therefore all my pics gowning up I had a big empty space there. When I was 3 I fell of my brothers bunk bed - I climbed into the top bunk in the middle of the night - and I broke my arm. I still have a big scar on my left elbow where they had to put a pin in because it broke so bad. When I was 5 I fell out of the tree fort we had and got a concussion and had to go to the hospital. When I was 7 I climbed onto a laundry basket and fell off and landed on the rabbit's cage and tore my back open. I ended up getting 7 stitches. After that I seemed to settle down as I didn't have any other big mishaps until later. Once I got a car I had 3 accidents in 8 months and totaled each of the cars The first was because there was a horrible storm that suddenly came up (like a flash flood) and could hardly see. I was doing about 25 and creeping along and me and a truck both hydroplaned on a big and collided together. The second I was in a turn lane and a lady rear ended me so bad my trunk was against the windshield. I was in so much pain I ended up going to hospital (mom took me not ambulance). After several hours they released me on pain meds. The next day they called me and told me to come in immediately as they think I had a small fracture in my collar bone. so long story short I ended up going via ambulance from a local hospital to a well know hospital with mainly specialized doctors (about 40 min drive) and had to be strapped down to the stretcher the whole time as they didn't want me to move my neck if it was broken. I ended up laying in the hospital (with a bed pan) and strapped to the bed not being able to move - one of the worst days of my life!! I'm very active and this was pure torture!!! After about 8+ hrs and many many tests later I was finally released and said no fracture. But, it was on the verge of fracture so I had super strict limitations for a while until my neck was cleared. The last accident was because my car stalled (for no reason and wasn't expecting it to) while I was headed down a small hill and almost to the stop sign. I wasn't able to get the car to stop in time as I was approaching the stop sign when it happened and a big truck with trailer plowed into the side of me. I was safe thankfully for all the accidents. The Lord was watching out for me!
jeweluv likes this.
November 6th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Oh my you must have had your parents on pins and needles as to what was next ;lol; Are you still so accedent proned ?

November 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm still somewhat accident prone but no big major accidents. I'm just clumsy for some reason. DH says "If it can happen Ashely's able to do it" Just today I knocked a huge crate of 2 liter soda bottles all over the place at the store. I bent over and accidentally bumped it - things like this seem to find me quite often sadly
November 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My love life. (Sorry if this ends up being long)

It was the summer after I graduated and I had a daycare job. I wanted to spend time with my sister, her hubby and my niece (6months at the time) so I got a ticket to fly to CA (I lived in TX at the time). Once I got there my sister told me “I’m going to have you engaged by the time you leave”. I laughed and told her I’m not interested in guys and could care less. But, my sister had a scheme going that I didn’t know about. I’m going to back track a little and go back about 5 months or so. My whole family came out after my niece was born and stayed with my sister and we went to their Church. I remember that Sunday they were playing volley ball and several people asking me if I’d play. I didn’t want to as I don’t care much for sports but said I’d go ahead a play. I remember getting on the court and being among strangers (a few I did know but not many) and also remember that they made me switch spots with a few guys. I though they did this because I wasn’t very good and they wanted me next to someone good so they could help me out. Well, it was that they put me next to Sam and did it on purpose. I later found out (after Sam and I started going together) that they switched me spots because it was a bet Sam had that he wouldn’t stand near the “new girl”. He had a bet because others were teasing Sam about a girl he couldn’t stand and so they finally said “well, we’ll tease you about Ashley then”. Sam said “fine, she’ll go home and yall will forget about her”. And,that’s how the bet came about. I remember saying I’d only play one game. Well, our team won and so I decided to play another game so they’d have enough players still. Well, Sam thought I may have heard about the bet somehow and though I maybe liked him and that’s why I played another but I had no idea who this ‘strange guy next to me was’. Also, a friend of Sam’s got a pic of me from April and gave it to Sam as a joke. Well, it ended up that Sam kinda started liking me and put it on his dash board. When his friends would ride with him he’d hide the pic in the center console of his truck – LOL!!

Anyways, Sam somehow found out that I was coming back and spending 2 weeks with my sister and her family. So, he started asking my sister all these questions about me. And my sister started trying to set us up together. My sister’s church had a 10 day long Christian campout in the mountains and I went to that with her family. Sam was there the first weekend and I noticed once when I was walking down to the showers that some guy was following me and I kinda got nervous as didn’t want someone peaking in on me. That guy was Sam and he didn’t play baseball that day as he wanted to watch instead of play as he could see the showers from where he was sitting and he’d know when I’d come out so he could try and talk to me. When I got out of the shower and again this guy is following me I didn’t know what to think – I though he was just some crazy guy and was almost scared of him (I know – big baby probably but I was just not thinking boyfriend at the time and didn’t really like guys). Sam though I was avoiding him because I didn’t like him. Well, my sister stepped in and talked to me about him (but I still didn’t realize that was who was following me around) and set us up to eat dinner together. Sam’s really shy and not at all forward and so I was nervous when I knew we were going to eat together. He sat 2 chairs down from me when all around me were empty chairs. So, I though this guy is a wimp – if he likes me why doesn’t he at least talk to me so I can see what he’s like. Nothing became of it and Sam had to go home for several days to work. When he came back up I though he was kinda cute and maybe see if he’ll talk to me. But, I went kayaking one day for the first time and pull a muscle in my neck and was in pretty bad pain so I didn’t really want to be around him. Well, that evening my BIL gave me some pain meds and told me to take 2 every 4 hrs to really kill the pain and relax the muscles. What he didn’t tell me is they were extra strength and 600ml each . So I accidentally ended up over dosing and made me sick and dizzy feeling. Sam was an emt and going through medical training at the time. I remember trying to go to service that morning but was just dazed and out of it so my sister took me back to their camping trailer. One the way back we saw Sam and April(my sister) called him over and asked him a few questions about what to do with overdosing on pain meds. He was so concerned about me (and saw me in my worse state as I know I wasn’t the least bit cute looking almost half drunk) and so caring that I thought – why couldn’t I like this guy?! So, later after I was finally feeing better (about 8 hrs later) Sam and I sat around a campfire talking and getting to know each other better. We ended up talking until about 2:30 am.

Well, we were married about 18 months or so later on January 26, 2008 and I couldn’t have been happier!! It wasn’t a really fancy wedding as my parents had a strict budget but was big with about 500 friends, family, and church members showing up to support us and we started our new life together. Yes, Sam and I have our differences and sometimes argue and everything – but who doesn’t? We love eachother greatly for who they are. Sam is my best friend and I love him so much and wouldn’t trade him for anything!! Oh, and let me state I was a virgin until the day I married and am so proud I saved myself for my one true love
Countrymom4 and jeweluv like this.
November 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM
That is sooo sweet Ashley !!! A virgin !!! That is soo awsome, not many people can say that. I am praying everyday I can teach my children those values !!!
momie2b9-20-11 likes this.

Last edited by Countrymom4; November 8th, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
November 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awe...great love story. My husband and I were both virgins as well. It CAN be done! People laugh and scoff and say that everyone will "do it anyway" but that's not true! I know others at church as well. Talk about great, happy marriages with no issues!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

November 8th, 2012, 08:18 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, Ashley!! BLESS YOUR HEART!! I find it so amazing that so many of all of us have such intricate, and even painful pasts, and yet look at what CHRIST has done through all of us!!!

You are beautiful and your daughter is delic'!!!!! I LOVE your LOVE STORY...and find the "overdosed on pain meds' kind of endearing!!! My Evyn is only 3 1/2 and can't be diagnosed till much later but given some evaluations and my OCD diagnosis (once thought to be ADD)...I know she has it and don't think this is a bad thing. I know it will be a struggle but if possible, I'd love to know what was helpful/hurtful to you growing up. Poor, Ev is so impulsive. I don't really get angry at her impulsive acts because I know this is hard for her to control. What was helpful for you? I bet you are a SUPER compassionate person because of all that you went through!!! xoxoxo!!

I wish I was a virgin when I was married. I have only been with two men, my husband and my ex-fiance but I regret the ex-fiance. I remember even MY MOM, weird and a whole other story, trying to convince me to finally do it because i was 21 and me wanting to wait for the right guy, and magical moment. I ended up caving on my 22nd birthday and it was nothing special at all =(( It's funny bc whe dh met me he was worried that I didn't have all this experience and this this wuld make me sort of curious but in fact, i kind of think it was the oppostite bc it became something that he and I ONLY shared. (my ex-finace and I had sex...but he had some major issues/boundaries so it was never in an intimate/safe way.)

Are you still in contact with your bros? Are you close with your sis? So funny how your sis planned that!!! Are your parents still practicing Christians?

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
November 9th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
^Thanks for your coments about me and my daughter. (I'll try and PM you with some of your answers to ADD).

Are you still in contact with your bros? Not really. My oldest brother got let out on parole early from prison but I haven't seen him and now he's not doing as good again

Are you close with your sis? My younger sis - Yes! My older sister, not so much but do talk with her occasionally. In fact we just went out to eat together the other day and that was the first time we really spent time just us together in a long time.

Are your parents still practicing Christians? Yes, and they still go to the same church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaginger View Post
Awe...great love story. My husband and I were both virgins as well. It CAN be done! People laugh and scoff and say that everyone will "do it anyway" but that's not true! I know others at church as well. Talk about great, happy marriages with no issues!
DH was a virgin as well so that was even more special for us! I agree, it can be done but at times it was very hard not to cave in but we both had determination to save ourselves for our honeymoon. Sam and I had a long distant relationship since he in CA and me in TX so we tried to spend as much time together when he was visiting. It was hard doing a long distant relationship sometimes and the goodbyes were always the hardest!! Especially once engaged and you had to say your final goodbye at the airport in front of so many people. I always hated crying but never could help it as we both had to walk away from eachother.
November 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know I’m behind on the Mom of the week but I have shingles and am in pain. Also, my right side of face is all numb and my right eye is also very blurry and hard to see and concentrate. I’m doing my best to keep up. Anyway – on to about my child

Sam and I both knew before we married that we wanted kids but also wanted to wait a while and just enjoy married life. Especially since we were also both young (I was 19 and Sam 22) when we married. We didn’t know for sure how long we wanted to wait and just thought we’d know when ‘correct’ time was to start a family. As we were approaching 3 years of being married we started talking about starting a family. We still waited a few months before me going off birth control. We thought we’d officially start TTC in January but decided I’d go off bc in December just so my body may have a month to try and regulate being off bc. We kinda tried conceiving but not really as much as after the new year. I went to a ‘family planning OB’ who gave me some tips on conceiving sooner and such and she told me to come back in 6 months if I wasn’t pregnant and we’d talk some more. I came back about 3.5 weeks later 7 weeks pregnant!! Boy, was my OB surprised! I think the Lord knew I couldn’t handle the up’s and down’s of TTC. I received my BFP about a week and half before our 3rd anniversary. It was the best anniversary we could have ever asked for!! We both were so excited and both would have like a daughter to love. Sam’s family is all guys for the past 63 years prior to Kynslee being born so many people thought we wouldn’t have a girl. We were so thrilled to find out she was a girl (though we would have been happy if the Lord gave us a son to love first). I had a pretty easy pregnancy up until about 36 wks when I got really high bp and ended on bedrest. Kynslee arrived safe and healthy on September 21, 2011 at 1:51 am and we were so pleased to have our daughter to hold and love at last!! I don’t like saying this but it’s true – even though I knew right away I loved Kynslee and wouldn’t trade her for anything it took about 12 hrs before I really fell deeply in love with her. I’ve since talked with others that said this can be normal but I still hate admitting it as I feel ashamed when I hear moms say that felt that love as soon as baby was in their arms. Anyway, Kynslee came home and was colicky for the first week or so and we had a big adjustment but Sam was a wonderful helper and together we pulled though!!
Kynslee is our pride and joy and such a huge blessing to us!! She’s a VERY active child and loves to climb and get into anything and everything! She keeps us busy She loves being outside and being with the neighbors animals. She loves her daddy but also can be a mama’s girl sometimes. Sam is a wonderful daddy and the best I could have ever asked for!! I now tell new mom friends that the best advice/help/tips is to get the baby’s dad involved (or someone else who is close to you if dad isn’t around) in baby’s life and help you and baby out if the first couple weeks of brining home baby. I don’t know how I could have done it without Sam! One of my favorite things to do with Kynslee is make her laugh. I just love hearing her cute little giggles –brings me such joy!! I also love being able to dress her ~ from her shoes to her hair accessories I have so much fun dressing her! And I love seeing Sam and Kynslee together. I love it when Kynslee goes over to daddy for a big hug when he comes home from work, or when they play wrestle together. I enjoying seeing my two loves bonding together! Sam is the best daddy and hubby and will do just about any and every chore that needs to be done from changing any diaper to cooking to sweeping the floors.
November 9th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Alot of people take a couple hours or days to connect with their babys. My sister took a long time with DD#2, she did have the baby blues.

How many children do you want ?
When is the next one planned for ?

November 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't bond with Kynslee while breastfeeding for quite some time. That took about a month or more before I developed a bond while feeding her. I know some moms says that the best bonding time but I had struggles learning at the beginning and was almost a 'chore' to feed. So glad that didn't last long!

How many children do you want ? We both think 3 is a good number. But, who knows, I kinda this 4 is a good number also but right now I'd say 3.

When is the next one planned for ? Not really sure. I'd love a March baby so I'd like to possibly go off bc either in May or June of next year but not really sure. We'd like to move to TX but don't have the money to move right now. And, I don't want to move when really pregnant or with a newborn so timing depends on what the Lord has in mind for us in that way. And, right now we are crammed in our 2 bedroom apt and not really much room for another child. I don't want kids too far spread but I do want time to enjoy each and every child also. I think a 2 - 2 1/2 year spread is good
Countrymom4 likes this.
November 10th, 2012, 08:49 AM
We have a 3 year spread and a 2 year. The 3 was a bit easier becaus ethey can do more on their own.

November 26th, 2012, 12:07 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
bump...for new people

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

November 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Loved reading about how you and your husband met- so sweet!

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search