New Earth vs Old Earth?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By Surrounded
  • 1 Post By Buggymom
  • 2 Post By mamaginger
  • 1 Post By Surrounded

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2012, 08:15 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been listening to my bff's dad, a pastor who is of the New Earth believers and has many points/science proof to proove his theories and beliefs. I have also heard many Christians believing in an older earth whereas somehow not outruling micro...not MACRO evolution. (basically small changes happened but it's not like we emerged from apes) Some say the time of genesis could have made the earth seem so much older and some philosophers/Christians I've read basically state that this is sort of irrelevant to the focal point; which is that CHRIST IS OUR savior and the age of the earth is simply a minor detail.

Because I am new in the faith I worry that I will be misled or believe something simply because someone I see or think knows more than me. My pastor for instance. right now dh is hung up on the taking the age of the earth in the bible as young or completely literal.....I kind of see both points. As per my pastor who bascially says that you have to sort of take the entire bible literally because how could any GOD expect us to figure out which was literal and which wasn't?

I have all these intellectual obstacles to conquer with Lee and even my dad, WHO IS NOW READING "LETTERS FROM A SKEPTIC."..YEAY!!! (BOUGHT IT FOR HIM FOR HIS BIRTHDAY) He was raised Catholic but is an athiest. As he has started this book he feels the father in this book is giving in too easily. Kind of bummed he is not being trasnformed so quickly. =(

Anyway......these intellectual obstacles are a real battle for my family and in believing in the bible and thus CHRIST.....

What are your feelings on all this?

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
November 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I don't fully understand what you mean by new earth/ old earth. If you're talking about creationism vs. evolution, I don't know if anyone can tell you 1 definite answer. Obviously we each believe what we believe based on our personal discovery of the Bible, and our growth as Christians with many different influences.

Personally I believe the Bible tells us that time in the sense we understand it is different from how God views it. 7 days of creation may not have happened in 7 24 hour time periods as we see them now.
Do I believe there was a big bang and by accident we turned into humans from monkeys... no. But evolution is evident even now based on climate change and other factors we have seen in our lifetime species that evolve and adapt to the changes in order to survive. I believe that evolution does happen, but that it's all in God's plan/timing. He created everything, but why couldn't our God create with a plan for adaptation, without it most would have died off from different environmental changes. I think it's a good point that Christ is our Saviour, and little else matters, in the big scheme of things, there are great Christians who believe in some of the 'wrong' things.... But what is right and what is wrong isn't always agreed on even between people of similar faiths.

I don't know if what I believe is 100% accurate and the truth. But I believe it based on what I believe the Bible says combined with undeniable scientific proof that has been shown to me. I worry that if I put too much thought into it though, I'll get so caught up in it, I may lose sight of what is the important part, my relationship with Jesus. I'm interested in learning more, as I feel information is power and is what helps us search for more meaning from the Bible, and the world around us.
jeweluv likes this.

November 10th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Super Mommy
Honestly, one thing I always struggled with is if in the beginning God created the earth and everything else and then created us then how did dinosaurs get here first and all that other stuff. My husband and I like to watch the christian movies (Fireproof, the Left Behind series). The last one we saw we actually got from the Red Box. It is called Genesis Code. It takes a scientific/mathematical approach to proving God created the earth. The movie kind of drags on but I would definitely recommend it.
jeweluv likes this.
November 11th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dinosaurs are a mystery. I think that dinosaurs were here at the same time as Adam and Eve and they died off in the Great Flood...if they did get on the ark then they couldn't survive in the world and died off...people may have hunted them or their food was minimal. I don't believe scientists and I don't feel they have enough proof to convince me of anything. I do want to check out that movie Genesis Code. What I do believe 100% is God created the earth and everything in it.

Ginger....what's your take on this?
jeweluv likes this.

November 11th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I had once looked this up and found a great site...bad news is I can't find it. I did find this
Dinosaurs

Thank You tasha_mae

November 11th, 2012, 05:19 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well....If I will EVER finish my first Bible study topic, I was thinking of doing Genesis next. I won't post all the verses here because I really want to have it as my next topic but I will say this....

I do 100% believe the Earth is only about 6000 years old. I believe God created it by his words in 6 literal, 24 hour days. I believe dinosaurs were alive alongside of man. Job talks about Behemoth and Leviathon being created "along with man." I believe Noah had dinosaurs (maybe babies haha) on the Ark. I don't know what caused them to become extinct after the flood, just as I don't necessarily know what caused other non-dinosaurs to become extinct in the past. Dinosaurs aren't the only living creature to become extinct but everyone is so fascinated with them because we're told they are millions of years old. I don't believe that.

I think its VERY important for Christians NOT to compromise with evolution and say ....ok...fine....we'll agree to evolution and the big bang, but GOD did it!! No....his Word says what it says and that's what it means. If we compromise in Genesis then we are compromising the whole Bible. Genesis is the main place scientists (the atheist ones anyway) try to discredit and disprove the entire Bible because the creation account is so unbelievable and unscientific in their view. If God got it wrong in the beginning then the rest of it must be a fairytale as well.

I have verses for all of these beliefs. I'll try to hurry up and finish my Spirituality in America thread so I can move on to this!
Countrymom4 and jeweluv like this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

November 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Super Mommy
That is one thing with the Genesis Code movie though is that it doesn't compromise anywhere saying it was evolution or big bang theory. It is God and science coming together to prove God really did create everything.
Countrymom4 likes this.
November 14th, 2012, 06:19 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SOOO informative! I almost feel relieved to read that Genisis is literal bc to me, wondering and or accepting or not accpeting that parts of the bible are literal and other aren't leaves room for a lot of assumptions and wrong assumptions.

I do start to feel dumb or misled when some people say that people who ACTUALLY believe the earth is only 6,000 years old are delusional bc of all the evidence there is to say otherwise. I have read the arguements supporting the flood and how it must have aged the earth and it makes sense and yet I wonder why so many find it hard to believe.

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
November 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think science and religion have to be mutually exclusive. If God spoke the words "Let there be light"..considering the unfathomable size of God speaking to nothingness, who is to say that His words did not create a 'bang' of sorts?

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search