What do you do/say with someone who is not even skeptical, just not interested?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By left_field
  • 1 Post By mamaginger
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 2 Post By Buggymom
  • 1 Post By SJane

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH, the atheist, does not like even discussing my faith even on platonic levels bc he is just not interested in the least. What do I do with that? If he was simply skeptical that at least I could study and learn and perhaps convey the truth but he won't even dialogue with a half way open mind. I pray for him daily. So much good would come from him being saved besides just his salvation...our family is split right now and I can't completely lead the household the way I believe it should be bc he is not in agreement...bot to mention I want more children and as long as DH doesn't and doesn't believe GOD is the giver of life, this will not happen either.

Has anyone ever seen miracles happen to these types of attitudes? I feel like it will take a miracle to bring him to that place............and until then I'm so sad that I can raise my family in unity to worship the LORD, to share it as our strength with my husband, and to allow the LORD to lead our path. It feels lonely....the entire rest of my family are not saved either which further exaserbates the situation. GOD BLESS my bff for she is the one who witnessed to me, continues to be my "go to" and support and her family. Her dad is a pastor and this has been so amazing.

=(

I've tried coming from the love perspective as in GOD loves you and wants you to be his to, hon, if you are wrong things are not going to be god when you die in which he replies that he is okay with that and will find out when it happens.....

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
December 19th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Super Mommy to be
Sometimes 'preaching' to someone will harden them even more.... All you can do sometimes is pray and be an example. Remember our lives may be the only Bible people ever get to read. Let him see Christ thru you. And besides, praying can be the BEST thing you can do for him anyway. Occasionally ask him to accompany you to church and if he says no don't create a fuss over it...maybe one day he'll agree to go with you.... if you have other things on your heart that you're praying about and God answers your prayer you can always casually share it.

Let him see you reading your Bible and even praying. I will still continue to pray for you and that God will soften his heart.
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins
December 19th, 2012, 09:02 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^ what she said. sorry this is a daily struggle and heartache for you.
jeweluv likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

December 19th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also agree with everything above! I heard a quote once that I really liked. It was something along the lines of 'Go out and teach all you come in contact with the love of Jesus, and only if necessary, use words'

Be the light of Christ in his life, living by example may be much more powerful than preaching at someone who is uninterested. Continue to pray, and I'll join you in prayer that his heart is changed. It's not an easy road, but there is purpose to what you do!!! Keep your faith strong and know that God's plan and timing for your family are perfect!
momie2b9-20-11 likes this.

December 20th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I totally agree with the other ladies! Continue being steady (as best you can - I know it's hard!) and let him see you steady and see Christ in and through you. Try and change something about yourself possibly (nothing big - just small) that your hubby could see and notice and then tell him Christ has helped you. Just like you cannot force a someone to eat/drink you cannot force someone to "feed" on God. When he is 'hungry' or has questions he'll come to you. Until then just pray pray pray and try and be the best Christian and example he will see! Many HUGS and prayers going your way! Hang in there mama.

I do know someone who when younger didn't want to do with Christ and would often debate and come up with "scientific" reasons (he was/is a rocket scientist) as to why not to trust in God and such and then eventually had a change of heart. I remember you once saying your hubby was a scientist or something like that - correct? I know people like this can sometimes be harder to become a believer with all that science throws their way. That guy is now all into studies of Christ and will sometimes get sermons at our church. I remember him once saying what really helped was reading Revelations. He stated the rest of the Bible just really didn't make much sense to him and he has many different scientific based reason why not to believe what the Bible stated. So, he went to the last book (Revelations) and told himself that if this doesn't make sense he'll continue to put away Christ for good! Well, when reading about all the end times and such he began to realize that some of those things stated are actually starting to happen / already happened. I'm not all sure of his exact story but he has studies for people coming from a scientific background.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
December 20th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also agree with everyone here! Being an example and letting him see you reading your bible is great advice. I'll also be praying he will find Christ...and be more open about things. I can't imagine how alone you must feel. Your faith is very strong. Rest assured you are not alone....Jesus loves you and knows what you are going through. The Holy Spirit is working in you right now because you are strengthed already. Prayers and hugs!
jeweluv and momie2b9-20-11 like this.

December 21st, 2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks, ladies....=) it is comforting to hear your words and encouragement...it can be so hard and lonely.

December 23rd, 2012, 12:53 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What everyone else said. Minister to him by being the wife he needs, by being the child in God you are meant to be. Let him see you pray, read your bible, etc. Don't say anything about it unless he asks.

When we have our minds made up about something, no words or pleading will change that. If he sees the changes in you, that may be the catalyst for all you are looking for.

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!
December 23rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks again gals!!

Mommy2b.....this rocket scientist, why did he think the other parts of the bible not make sense or line up with history? Also, I've read only parts of Revelation and actually read a part to dh today bc he asked me something...........it is very mystical like "the angel did this....fire burned."............things that have not literally happened yet so I'm confused as to why and what proved this to him. Yes, there are signs being shown like wars, natural disasters, the holy land struggles...but the stuff in revelations is much more intrusive GOD stuff right?

December 28th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Veteran
Totally agree. Remember our life is our living testimony - even when we don't speak, people see our actions and that is our best proof that God does exist and is with us. PUSH! - Pray until something happens! And oh, see the movie Courageous - it's about a Christian and how he was able to share and show God's love and how He is working on the life of us and even of a non-believer's.
jeweluv likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search