Christianity..........but where/how do other ancient religions fit it?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By left_field
  • 3 Post By Buggymom
  • 1 Post By Countrymom4
  • 1 Post By mamaginger

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2013, 11:02 AM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm looking into BC times. I know some of the most ancient religions are Budhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Judiasm, Ancient Greek philosphy etc but I was wondering how Judiasm and then Christianity fits in. For instance, from Adam and Eve came many...but all followed the Old Testament rules.(Essentially Judiasm at its beginnings thus not defined which would make Judiasm the oldest religion since it existed during Genesis) Then there was the flood. At what point did people like the Native Americans, Greeks, Buddhists go astray, depart, and from what lineage as it seems in the bible, everyone originated from two specific lines ...or at least in terms of the kings of Israel right?

My brother says that Budhism and Hinduism etc. are the most ancient forms of religion....but how could that be if everything started with Genesis/Adam and Eve and the laws and covenants created by GOD? And, if it is so that All of man came from Adam and Eve under original sin and had to offer sacrifices/burnt offerrings to GOD, what did these other people do if they were "there" then? I'm guessing these came after the flood however sources say Budhism dates back 6,000 years which would take you to the time of creation/Genesis. Did the Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, Muslims, Greeks, Native Americans even know of ancient scripture/the Old Test? Were they even aware of it and thus the concept of original sin and our need of a sacrifice/savior? They all were either polythiestic, or worshipped themselves and their personal growth to lead them to higher places rather than GOD being the only way. Howcome GOD never appeared or spoke to them?

After the flood, the continents shifted apart right? But then Noah and his' repopulated the earth. If this is the case, how did the Native Americans get over here with the ocen as a barrier? If they were there before the flood it would make sense but after the flood, didn't all further life come from Noah and who was on the ark?

My assumptions in regards to some of this is: After the flood, when re-population began, some people became nomadic and distanced themselves...some ending up in Greece, some in Asia etc and grew further away from any of the customs , traditions of the Holy land/scriptures and began to worship their own idols; some many GODS, and some; themselves as a means to Heaven or spiritual bliss. Are my right? However, the reason Christianity holds so much truth and testimony is because none of these other faiths fulfilled prophesies....proof of things....they only were created by our minds....there was never any proof or testimonies to support their beliefs. Meditating your way to Nirvana I guess, given our complex mind, could be achieved but only as a facade. No other religion has fulfilled prophesies and or have such witnesses and historical proof. Is that about right?

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
February 8th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Super Mommy to be
I'm not the best with history and others may be able to shed some light.

There are many questions we may have and the answers may not really make us any more clear, but I do accept that there are some things that I will not and can not ever understand because it was all created, and orchestrated by a much higher supreme so our mortal minds cannot know everything. If we could there would be no such thing as faith.

Mind you I'm not saying there aren't answers and explanations to your questions, lol, just saying there is a lot that aren't supposed to know. For instance, our mortals minds cannot understand how 'God is'. He was here before Earth, he was here before time, he existed, but how.... We will never know or understand until perhaps when we get to Heaven. But we have faith and we believe. We can feel Him, we can see his wondrous works, we know accept Him as our Saviour and accept that His ways are not our ways, and we will not understand everything...

I have to tell myself that a lot when things don't fall in to place a lot of times....like this TTC, sigh.....

Didn't mean to ramble so much... and didn't even answer your questions, LOL!
#5in2005, Countrymom4 and jeweluv like this.
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins

Last edited by left_field; February 9th, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
February 9th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found this link and you might find it interesting...
Feedback: Native Americans and the Bible - Answers in Genesis

This suggests when God dispersed the people in Babel...this is where different people and tribes fits in.

Keep in mind too that we don't really know how the geography of the world was during the time of Noah. Also, the bering straight (sp?) was what connected America and Asia so people could walk over it. For all we know all the land was connected.

As far as the other religions go...I wouldn't know where to begin...

February 9th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I have no anwsers for you either Where is GINGER !!!
jeweluv likes this.

Thank You tasha_mae

February 9th, 2013, 11:59 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I answered some of this in the other bible forum...here's that part:

Well it's not as if the oldest religion "wins." God existed before creation itself and certainly before any ancient religions. God chose to send Jesus 4000 years after creation so yeah....a ton of pagan religions were very well established by that time. Christians were named after Christ but the Old Testament saints were also Christians...they just didn't have Christ yet. Gods chosen people...Abrahams seed...were Gods people just as Christians today are Gods people.

You should read Genesis if you want to know about lineage and who came from who. After the flood, everyone came from one of Noah's three sons. When Abraham came along he had Ishmael by his servant (not Gods plan) and then Isaac (the promised one)by his wife, Sarah.. I've heard it said that Muslims came from Ishmael but I haven't studied that to tell you for sure. Isaac then married and had Jacob. God changed Jacobs name to "Israel" and he (Jacob) had 12 sons...this is where the twelve tribes of Israel comes from. Judah was one of those 12. Jesus came from Judah's line.

In the Bible, the Canaanites were a very large pagan group. They were descendants of Canaan whose father was Ham. Ham was one of Noah's three sons and his whole lineage was cursed because of something he did. So in this instance, you can see the very beginning of a people group gone astray. Most of the time it's not that clear where they began.

To respond to the part about the continents dividing...the Bible isn't very descriptive on this at all. There is one little line about a boy being named "Peleg" and then says "because the earth was divided in his day."(this comment is in 1chronicles 1) If I'm doing the math right in Genesis 11...Peleg was born about 100 years after the flood. So the continents didn't divide immediately but over time. Even secular history teaches about a continental drift and land bridge from Russia to Alaska.

The separation and dispersion of people at the Tower of Babel was significant in causing the different races, languages and spreading people over the earth as originally commanded.
jeweluv likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

February 9th, 2013, 11:59 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I answered some of this in the other bible forum...here's that part:

Well it's not as if the oldest religion "wins." God existed before creation itself and certainly before any ancient religions. God chose to send Jesus 4000 years after creation so yeah....a ton of pagan religions were very well established by that time. Christians were named after Christ but the Old Testament saints were also Christians...they just didn't have Christ yet. Gods chosen people...Abrahams seed...were Gods people just as Christians today are Gods people.

You should read Genesis if you want to know about lineage and who came from who. After the flood, everyone came from one of Noah's three sons. When Abraham came along he had Ishmael by his servant (not Gods plan) and then Isaac (the promised one)by his wife, Sarah.. I've heard it said that Muslims came from Ishmael but I haven't studied that to tell you for sure. Isaac then married and had Jacob. God changed Jacobs name to "Israel" and he (Jacob) had 12 sons...this is where the twelve tribes of Israel comes from. Judah was one of those 12. Jesus came from Judah's line.

In the Bible, the Canaanites were a very large pagan group. They were descendants of Canaan whose father was Ham. Ham was one of Noah's three sons and his whole lineage was cursed because of something he did. So in this instance, you can see the very beginning of a people group gone astray. Most of the time it's not that clear where they began.

To respond to the part about the continents dividing...the Bible isn't very descriptive on this at all. There is one little line about a boy being named "Peleg" and then says "because the earth was divided in his day."(this comment is in 1chronicles 1) If I'm doing the math right in Genesis 11...Peleg was born about 100 years after the flood. So the continents didn't divide immediately but over time. Even secular history teaches about a continental drift and land bridge from Russia to Alaska.

The separation and dispersion of people at the Tower of Babel was significant in causing the different races, languages and spreading people over the earth as originally commanded.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

February 10th, 2013, 12:21 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! Thanks ladies...informative and most helpful as usual!! xoxoxo

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search