Tithing

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mamaginger
  • 1 Post By left_field
  • 1 Post By mamato4andc
  • 1 Post By Orangebrittainy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 07:16 PM
Super Mommy to be
Figured I'd post a thread for discussion. What are your views based on what you've read and your interpretation on tithing. Do you tithe? Do you feel that you can help others in need with tithes, or do you feel that tithes should be given to the church and you dig deeper in your pocket outside of tithes to assist others less fortunate?

We tithe and gladly do so as we feel it is a form of worship to give back to the Lord, a step of faith knowing we can't out give God and also an act of obedience. God has been so faithful to me even though I don't deserve such mercy that I'm happy to give back to Him a portion of which He has blessed me with! However, if I know someone had a need I've used my tithes to help before. And of course at times assisted without using my tithes.

Lately because of a few things said by others or by deeply thinking about these things I began to wonder if any help to the less fortunate should be outside of my tithes.

What are your thoughts and better yet if you have scripture where your thoughts are based from.

***ADDED COMMENT***

SO I think I realize that my answer is since I have been convicted about this that all tithe belong to the church and helping those in need would be considered a love gift or offering.... I have prayed about it and my husband kind of said what was on my mind the other day in wondering about it....and I hadn't voiced it lately.... so I felt that may have been a confirmation that since we were both questioning this that God was speaking to us about it....

No thoughts from anyone??
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins

Last edited by left_field; February 22nd, 2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: added comment
February 25th, 2013, 11:24 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, we tithe 10% of Pre-tax gross pay. It's very hard but the Bible teaches that God gets the first fruits....not the government, the 401K or the insurance. I believe giving to the needy is completely separate.

The word tithe means "the tenth part." In 1Samuel 8 it shows the people offering a tenth of their grain, a tenth of their sheep, etc.

In the Old Testament, God required the Israelites to give a tenth of their produce to the Levites (the priests) as their inheritance. Then the priests had to give a tenth of that tithe back to God. Our pastors are our "Levites" today.

Malachi 3 is where it tells us we are actually robbing God by not paying our tithes. It says if we do pay them that God will open up blessings to us and rebuke the devour in our lives. I believe this to be very literal. Everything on this earth deteriorates and rots eventually but I believe those who don't pay tithes have things constantly break, go wrong, have things stolen from them, etc. and can never seem to "get ahead." On the other hand, those who do pay their tithes who may have "life"happen to them....somehow always seem to have extra money come to them to fix things or are blessed in some way to compensate for it.
mamato4andc likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

February 26th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Super Mommy to be
Yes and thanks for your comment. And we should do it as a form of worship and thankfulness not only because we expect more blessings if we do....we know God will bless us but this shouldn't be our main reason... I'll share a little story...

We were having a medical issue and I had just gotten paid a nice sum and of course we tithe and so this tithe would have been more than our normal tithe amount...I was worrying a bit about finances and medical as we had to travel to have the procedure done...............anyway we did what we should have and tithed even though after tithing and paying bills and now had this medical debt to face we weren't sure what all we'd be facing etc...but we prayed and said God's brought us through things before and He'll do it again........let me just say that God saw our heart and our faith and our plane tickets were taken care of, our place to stay, our car rental, a lot of meals, and someone who was only an acquaintance but knew us through a friend heard about our situation and gave us a significant amount of cash to assist and when we realized and added these thing up, we were given back more than 3 times the amount of the tithes!!

Can you say Praise the Lord! That's only one story and we are more blessed than we realize because we don't always see and understand all of our blessings...we take so much for granted....

I think I said it in my above post that I realized that anything I do to help others should be outside of my tithes...... We should be happy to give back to God a portion of what He has blessed us with!

Thanks again for replying.... I was just thinking I wonder if anyone has responded and thought I bet when Ginger sees it she'll comment and sure enough here you were!
mamaginger likes this.
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins
February 26th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Veteran
We have a home fellowship so we don't have a church building or pastor to support. Instead, we give money where we see need.

I see ourselves more like the widow in Mark 12 that gave her last two mites. Instead of "only" giving 10%, we want to open ourselves to giving our all.
March 20th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran
Yup we give 10% of any money we get. I agree that when we tithe, he blesses us.
left_field likes this.
March 20th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
10% of the wages we get(from the farm)

March 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
The Truth is out There
I don't tithe, as DH does not agree with the Bible, and does not consider himself to be a Christian, or believe in God. I don't make any money, therefore I don't tithe off DH's income.

Here's an interesting question- Do you tithe directly/only to the Church? Or can you give money to missionaries, and count that as tithing? My grandmother told my mom that you must give 10% to the church, and money given to missionaries should be above and beyond that. My mom believes that it is all going to God, so it still counts.

March 22nd, 2013, 08:38 PM
Super Mommy to be
I feel that tithing to any church or gospel spreading effort is true tithing 'to the church'......... now if you give someone a love offering to help them personally, or for medical or charity purposes then this should be outside of your tithe.

I have read where some people say you should tithe to just the church and your church should be taking care of supporting missionaries.
Glorious Ruins
March 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran
So how does tithing to "the church" work when you have a home fellowship?
I don't think the "church" is a building or a specific pastor. The church is a body of people that worship Jesus and do what He said to do.

In the New Testament Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for disregarding what their religion should have been and focusing too much on the tithe.
Matthew 23:23 and Luke 11:42

In Luke 18:12 another Pharisee brags about tithing.

There are many verses in the Old Testament about tithing. However, besides Abraham's tithe to Melchizedek, all the other tithes seem to go to the temple.

In Malachi 3, God mentions the tithe providing "meat for my house". At that time, his "house" was the temple. Nowadays people like to say that a church building is the "house" of God when in fact, our bodies are the true "temple" of God.

That being said, I don't think it's wrong at all for followers of Christ to support their church or pastor. I also don't think it is a requirement to tithe a certain percent to a particular establishment. As I mentioned before, we should be more like the widow who gave everything she had, rather than thinking we're "good" with a certain amount.

Does anyone know of a direct Biblical command to tithe?
March 24th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Super Mommy to be
I agree the church is the body of people, so if you have a home fellowship and you use your money or tithe to help spread the good news of the gospel that's great. That's why I mentioned 'gospel spreading effort' in my above post . And I don't think the church is a specific building either, that why I used quotations....

Here is one scripture on tithing where it is a command.... and tithe means a tenth

Malachi 3 NIV -
Glorious Ruins
March 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Veteran
Yes, but in Malachi God is speaking to Israel and the tithe seems to go directly to the temple/priests.
Since our bodies are the temple of Christ, how would tithing apply? It wouldn't seem like we'd be giving a tenth to a building, but to people.

I also find it interesting that many seem to think that the "tenth" they are supposed to give should be money. When Abraham gave his tithe to Melchizedek, he gave of his flocks and servants and, I'm assuming, whatever coin he had. It was a tenth of everything he owned.
When Jesus spoke to the Pharisees, they were tithing anise and cumin, etc.

I don't think the question should be, "Do you give a tenth?" but, "Do you give all?"
March 26th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Super Mommy to be
I get what you are saying and agree we should give our time and talents etc not just money... but as far as a 'tenth'...that is what tithe means, a tenth..

mmmm, so I was just doing the math, if we had to only give 10% of our time that works out to about 2.5 hours a day, right? I bet if we spent an hour in the morning, 2- 15 minute intervals through out the day and an hour before bed at night our days would go a lot smoother... I'm talking to myself here not preaching to anyone...

Of course I pray mornings and nights and throughout the day and go to church thru the week and have choir practices and so forth but could always make more time to read the Bible and pray....

back to the monetary tithing I think the church is the gospel spreading effort, so in my case I tithe to my home church and also the community churches when they have special services to assist with the cost of bringing in the ministers etc... Although God wants us to help the needy, the poor, and do kind acts our main call is to win souls for Christ and to help spread the Good News. It's definitely one of my ways of giving back to God.
Glorious Ruins
March 27th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
I posted this on another board, but will post it here as well.

My husband and I *finally* took the first steps toward tithing recently, although the Lord has been speaking to me about it for a year, he did recently point out a way to make it simpler for us. We just opened another checking out specifically for tithing and DH and I are both having 10% of our income automatically routed to the tithing account. We will be unable to withdrawal from this account with debit cards, and my bank is well out of the way for me, so I am hoping that will eliminate the temptation to use the account for other means. I will be keeping the check book at home, and writing out the checks weekly.
** Adding**
Before this we have always opened our home to others in need. We have had someone living in our home rent free since April, we have paid for 90% of his meals. I believed at one point that was my tithes, since it was going to something good. Now the Lord has been convicting me for some time that this wasn't right, and the above is the result.
left_field likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search