My New Book--Waiting in Wonder: Growing in Faith While You're Expecting

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Psalm139's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all,
I've been a member of JM since 2009 when I first joined the March 2010 DDC for our first son. And then was a part of the Dec 2012 DDC when our second son came along.

I've never been an active member of this board but have some exciting news that I thought this community might appreciate and perhaps enjoy.

My second book, Waiting in Wonder:Growing in Faith While You're Expecting (Thomas Nelson publishers) is coming out next Tuesday. It's a devotional journal for expectant moms and takes you through the months of pregnancy with devotions for growing closer to Jesus and space for journaling prayers, love notes, and milestones next to each devotion. It also has points to pray for each week which tie into baby's developmental milestones.

It's already gotten some great reviews and endorsements. If you're familiar with Ann Voskamp, Christian best-selling author of One Thousand Gifts, whose own book was on the New York Times bestseller's list, she's written about the book, "As a mama of six, this is the book I wish I'd had in the beginning. In all their holy beginnings." You'll see some other great endorsements and reviews if you visit the Amazon page: Amazon.com: Waiting in Wonder: Growing in Faith While You're Expecting (9781400321070): Catherine Claire Larson: Books.

Anyhow, I just wanted to make you aware of the book and hope you'll buy a copy for yourself or give it as a gift to a friend who is expecting. And would also SO appreciate if you'd help me spread the word to your friends, MOPs groups, church, and other circles.

Thanks for reading and feel free to pm me if you have questions or thoughts for helping me spread the word! I don't want to be a spammer, but I'd certainly like to get the message out to as many people as could be encouraged and strengthened by this book.

Blessings,
Catherine
Catherine Claire Larson

Last edited by Psalm139; April 12th, 2013 at 04:29 AM.
April 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW, this is amazing! I am praying the LORD has another baby for us and if this is the case I will totally get your book and for my best friend as well!!

Can you tell me a bit more about your book. Is it more of a personal devotional and sample prayers to say during different times of your pregnancy?

CONGRATS, this is amazing! I am an aspiring children's book writer. Any advice?

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
April 11th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Psalm139's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aw, hope you get that sticky bean soon!

You can check out some sample pages online at the Amazon page:Amazon.com: Waiting in Wonder: Growing in Faith While You're Expecting (9781400321070): Catherine Claire Larson: Books if you click the" look inside" tab. Each week begins with a description of developmental changes happening with baby and then mommy, and then gives you ideas of how to pray for your baby usually falling into categories of physical development, and future spiritual and character formation. Each day of the daily devotional begins with a Scripture passage and then a lead-in that ties that passage to some aspect of what a mother is facing in her pregnancy or a way she can prepare her heart to know God more or strengthen her marriage before the baby arrives. There are two questions following each devotional entry. The first leads the reader to meditate more on the Scripture and the devotional thought through journaling. The second guides her to record some milestone, prayer or love note to her growing baby.

One of the things I like about how it all came together is that it combines the best of the developmental guides, with a devotional, and a memory-keeping kind of keepsake for the baby. In that way, it's kind of like getting three pregnancy books in one.

As for writing, I don't know much about writing for the children's book market. But some principles hold true across genres. Practice, practice, practice your craft. (I wrote professionally for 7 years--and practiced every day the mechanics and creative discipline of showing up and having to create something every day.) The more you practice your craft, the better you'll become. And then my other bit of advice would be to seek out people in your area of interest who have had success and ask lots of questions. I found a good place to do that starting out were writers' conferences. Depending on where you live, you may even be able to find a good writers' group in your city to join.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the kind words and interest in the book!

Last edited by Psalm139; April 11th, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
April 16th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How exciting!!! This sounds like a great book! I wish I had something like this when I was pregnant. It'd also almost be nice to have one of bringing home baby with a christian aspect and prayers, journal entries, and prayers for your new little baby. I know there were times at the beginning when I wish I had something like this for Christian moms.

We are looking at possibly TTC sometimes in Summer or Fall and if we get pregnant this sounds like a great book! (If I can just remember it's name). Could you please send me a PM with the name of the book (and possibly a link also) so that way if we get pregnant I can look at it then. Thanks
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search