How to teach your children the bible.

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Countrymom4
  • 1 Post By mamaginger
  • 1 Post By mccaroline

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
I admit I am a horrible Christian. I really don't spend much time in the Bible. I have finally started reading in the mornings regularly, and I feel like I need to do something meaningful with my 7 year old. The problem is I don't know where to start, the most we have done is go to church and read Bible Stories. He is old enough for more than Bible Stories. The Bible is such a big task, that I just feel so lost in it. What do you recommend? Where do you start? How do you start? How can I make it engaging to him without just printing worksheets out. (Which I don't really have much ink anyways)

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

July 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
First you are NOT a horrible Christian, You are human. We have a mail program that mails out bible stories/questions and then the child fills it out and sends it back. Its called pbs centre it is a Canadian place but I thought they had a American place too.
Orangebrittainy likes this.

August 4th, 2013, 05:38 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The Jesus Storybook Bible is a great place to read the major stories. It is more in depth than the typical Bible storybook. We read it when my son was 6. Now we are reading the NIRV version (of the regular Bible)on my Bible app because its in such simple language. I always recommend starting in the gospels. We are reading Matthew (about a chapter a night after his other library book). You could also read Proverbs because its full of everyday, common sense wisdom. Genesis is another great "first book" to read for how and why we are here and lays the foundation for everything else. Also this is a great blog for christian parenting : Bible | Raising Olives

I too have been convicted recently that I need to be doing much more to teach my children the Bible. God is full of grace for us!!
Countrymom4 likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

August 7th, 2013, 10:42 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our children's minister just told me last Sunday about a bible that is out that older kids are really getting into. It's set up like a comic book and apparently the drawings are done by the same people who do the Marvel comics. I guess her son, who's 8, loves it and she's been using the devotional that goes with it in some of the Sunday school classes and it really grabs the kids attention. It might be something to look into. I believe it's called the Action Bible.

August 9th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
I have heard of the Action Bible. I am hesitant to try different bibles though because we believe firmly in the KJV. But the language in there can be tough for an adult. I may look into that. Thanks!

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

August 9th, 2013, 12:22 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, it won't be worded the same as the KJV because it's meant to be in a language that kids can read and understand. It might work as a stepping stone though between bible stories and a full understanding of the KJV to keep him interested in reading and learning the bible.

Or see if there is a children's version of the KJV. I know that at home we read the NLT and we were able to buy a copy of the NLT for kids, it is the same bible but with larger print, pictures, coloured paged and activities and prayers printed between each book. My 9 year old still finds it a little overwhelming though.
Countrymom4 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search