Christmas Present Traditions?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2013, 02:50 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
How do you "do" presents at your house for Christmas?

Does Santa come? Do you fill stockings? Do the kids get gifts from you? Do you buy based off a budget per child or a certain # of gifts...or just when you feel like you are done?

DH and I were talking about this the other day and I'm super curious as to what others do! We were all over the board when we just had our oldest DS, but now that we have 2 kids, we want to make some new traditions.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
November 18th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
We do have a santa and stockings. Dd#1 knows we are santa and dd#2 is on the verge.

I just shop til done. Every year changes as to how much we spend, but I guess I do try to match the number of presents. They just get so much stuff. With the grandparents both bad for having a dollar amount and just buying to buy stuff that is not needed or even wanted. I have tryed to get them to put money on a hotel card so we can have a stay and water slide, or a movie card.....but no.

Last year the kids gave up one present each and we adopted a family. That was fun and also helped teach giving is just as much fun.

November 19th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We never really got into to Santa, partly because we always open presents before Christmas, we always have a "christmas at home" day and because we have church on Christmas day and then spend the day and the next at our family's places.
Instead of doing one stocking with a whole bunch of stuff all at once, the kids get 1 thing in there about 5 times...fuzzy socks, lip balm, shower gel, candy, they like the surprise of finding stuff in there.

As far as gifts we do 2 or 3. We draw names within our family, and you have to do random acts of kindness for your person. The dollar amount is about $20 per person. Then they each get a gift from their dad and I, and we used to do gifts that were fun for everyone, like a game or whatnot. I usually do try to have something in there like a wii game they've wanted, so it's fun to play with for everyone.

On my side of the family all the cousins draw names, and the adults draw names. The older kids get gift cards from my parents for clothes usually, and the youger kids still get a present.

Inlaws give me $20 per kid to buy something for them. I suggested that all of us in the family draw names this year, which didn't go over. Too bad, because if you draw names and go out and find something for your person, it's a little more about giving. Now they're just on the receiving end. But anyways. At least no one is over the top about Christmas gifts, I do like to have fun with it, but we are not extravagant. AND, I've been taking my girls clothes shopping after Christmas for a few years now, I'd rather that than spend more just to have it be under the tree.
November 19th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I love the idea of drawing names with in your family and the acts of kindness!! We will have to wait until theu get a bit bigger.
For extended family there is only my kids and 5 others on my side and on dh side there is no other kids. So we just buy for each kid. Dh side I have a harder time because we are the only ones with kids. The adults want presents because if not there christmas is pretty boring(once every 3 years his sister comes home from the states) and the price is 100

November 19th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
No little ones yet, but DH and I buy a few small things for each other.

November 19th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Growing up, my parents did the Santa Clause thing but it was obvious who it came from when the tag was always written in my mom's or dad's distinctive handwriting. It was fun and innocent so myself and my siblings played along.

For DD, we haven't really made any traditions, since this is only her third Christmas and she'll only be 2. She was about 3 weeks old her first Christmas and just past her first birthday on her second. DH and I have talked some about this but haven't set anything in stone.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

November 21st, 2013, 03:14 PM
kolbysmom's Avatar Ready For Spring!
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbysmom
We have Santa presents and stockings on Christmas morning. We have a tradition of opening one present on Christmas Eve (it's new Christmas jammies for the family) so we all have pretty, cute jammies to open our presents in. lol

Come Join the Fun Over at Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies
If You've Got Boys, Stop by the Moms of Boys board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search