Can you sleep when the wind blows

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2006, 08:31 AM
DreamChaser's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mother in law emailed this to us - I'd thought I'd share:

Can you sleep when the wind blows

Years ago, a farmer owned land along the Atlantic seacoast. He constantly advertised for hired hands. Most people were reluctant to work on farms along the Atlantic. They dreaded the awful storms that raged across the Atlantic, wreaking havoc on the buildings and crops. As the farmer interviewed applicants for the job, he received a steady stream of refusals. Finally, a short, thin man, well past middle age, approached the farmer.

"Are you a good farm hand?" the farmer asked him.

"Well, I can sleep when the wind blows," answered the little man.

Although puzzled by this answer, the farmer, desperate for help, hired him. The little man worked well around the farm, busy from dawn to dusk, and the farmer felt satisfied with the man's work.

Then one night the wind howled loudly in from offshore. Jumping out of bed, the farmer grabbed a lantern and rushed next door to the hired hand's sleeping quarters. He shook the little man and yelled, "Get up! A storm is coming! Tie things down before they blow away!"

The little man rolled over in bed and said firmly, "No sir. I told you, I can sleep when the wind blows."

Enraged by the response, the farmer was tempted to fire him on the spot. Instead, he hurried outside to prepare for the storm.

To his amazement, he discovered that all of the haystacks had been covered with tarpaulins. The cows were in the barn, the chickens were in the coops, and the doors were barred. The shutters were tightly secured. Everything was tied down. Nothing could blow away. The farmer then understood what his hired hand meant, so he returned to his bed to also sleep while the wind blew.

When you're prepared, spiritually, mentally, and physically,
you have nothing to fear. Can you sleep when the
wind blows through your life?

The hired hand in the story was able to sleep because he
had secured the farm against the storm.

We secure ourselves against the storms of life by
grounding ourselves in the Word of God.

We don't need to understand, we just need to hold
His hand to have peace in the middle of storms.

Peace to you all, especially those in the middle of a storm.
August 3rd, 2006, 09:29 AM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
What a great story!

It's so hard to have peace sometimes when storms are raging all around you. But when you are holding tight to His hand, knowing that The Anchor Holds, then we also know that in the end, God will get the glory. And we know that all things work together for good, to them that love God and are the called according to His purpose.

<div align="center"></div>
August 3rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
thanks for sharing that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search