Facebook

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ZaydensMomma
  • 2 Post By aect-mama
  • 1 Post By Countrymom4
  • 2 Post By Countrymom4
  • 1 Post By #5in2005
  • 1 Post By Thankfulhelpmeet

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2014, 11:35 AM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
Facebook is so..... dangerous....but same time it can be used for good purpose.

I deactivated Facebook 2 weeks ago. After I got saved, I began to see the true colors in my "friends" on my friend list. When people found out I was saved, some of them were really rude to me on FB and in person. It got worse when MY circle of friends that live near me became really mean to me and pick on my certain statuses over stupid things. And they put up statuses about me. It was really immature and devil in them to talk behind my back.

I have many other friends who are supportive but they use Facebook to communicate with the world not text or email. I find it difficult to keep in touch with them cuz they use Facebook.. .they forgot about calling, texting or emailing. It's really sad how Facebook has taken over people's lives.

I have been thinking about coming back on Facebook and clean up my friend list. But it's really hard who to unfriend and who to keep. I KNOW when I unfriend few people that live near me, they will give me the dirty look when I see them in person and they will ask me why I unfriended them. I have bad anxiety. Thinking about it just makes me nervous when I come back on FB! Ugh

What do you think of Facebook?
Countrymom4 likes this.
February 10th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Super Mommy
I've never had facebook and don't ever want to. Honestly, it intimidates me. Nothing is ever really personal or private on facebook it seems. No matter how secure your settings are. I'm a really private person and I'm very protective of my family. I don't want the whole world knowing where we are and what we're doing. I don't ever post pictures of myself or my family online so I just don't see the point of facebook.

. Not to mention all the things you said about people posting hurtful things to eachother or treating someone poorly IRL because of something that happened on facebook. I hear these kinds of things all the time from people who are on it. No thank you. I don't want to be a part of that. Too much like high school.

I'm often really frustrated by how it seems to be the only way some people want to communicate anymore. We are a millitary family so we have friends all over the world and it's almost impossible to keep in touch with some of them without facebook. I tried to check out a local homeschooling group recently but the only way they give out info on the where and when of their meetings is... You guessed it, facebook! I even thought about joining the August DDC here but they've already moved the group to facebook.

Anyway, rant over. I think if you make an effort to maintain the relationships that are important to you without facebook, the ones who are worth being friends with will put in the effort too.
ZaydensMomma and Countrymom4 like this.
~Mother of Miracles

February 11th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Audrey,

You are absolutely right.. it's high school drama! It's sad people abuse Facebook to hurt or degrade people. I've decided when I come back on Facebook, I'm gonna unfriend MANY friends and keep my family and very close friends. If they get upset they unfriend me, I would explain to them why keep them on Facebook if we never talk via text, email or VP (videophone) and when I see them in person, either we catch up or make small talk... it's just strange to have people on my Facebook that we never talk.. you know what I mean? I'm not on Facebook to stalk people's lives.
Audrey, you are very smart for never having Facebook. I resisted signing up on Facebook until around 2007 or 2008. I was shocked Facebook opened in 2004!
Sometime I wish it never existed.

Also, I lost a lot friends due to the fact I got saved... and it's different now that in person they look at me different and tell me I gotta follow verses that I can no longer drink alcohol and stuff like that. I am still learning about the Bible and the verses but when people throw at me say I gotta be goody 2 shoes. I'm like that's not me at all. We all sin. And I CAN drink alcohol. Just can't get drunk... kwim?! I can enjoy a glass or 2 of wine or my favorite drink. I noticed unsaved people keep tabs on me and my Christian friends what we do and they say Oh you have committed a sin cuz the Bible says this or that. I come back and say Oh really that's great you have been looking up verses... that means you are interested in being saved?! LOL I try to turn it around positive instead of arguing with them.
February 11th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I had typed a long post last night and its not here

So here is the short. I like facebook for some things, but so hate all the drama and lack of face to face contact. I have a very small friend list. If I would not stop to talk to you I don't need you as a friend. I do not need to know when you are going to the gym or pee !! This people I unfriend because I don't want all the junk.
ZaydensMomma likes this.

February 11th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrymom4 View Post
I had typed a long post last night and its not here

So here is the short. I like facebook for some things, but so hate all the drama and lack of face to face contact. I have a very small friend list. If I would not stop to talk to you I don't need you as a friend. I do not need to know when you are going to the gym or pee !! This people I unfriend because I don't want all the junk.

Awww bummer your post was gone! I didnt see it?

Yeah EXACTLY! And people get upset if you unfriend them cuz you and that person dont talk anymore or whatever the reason was!

I unfriended this man who was a pervert to me in person.. and he was very rude to me on Facebook and every time I commented on a friend's status, he would personally attack my comments and all that. He had the balls to post on a friend's status asking why I unfriended him. He called me a worthless person and told my friends that! GEEZ! Just one of examples I decided to take a break from Facebook!
February 11th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Ya no one needs people like that
#5in2005 and ZaydensMomma like this.

February 12th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
All in all I do like facebook, mostly because a lot of my cousins in Holland are on, and I wouldn't have anything to do with them otherwise, so it's really fun to see pictures and keep up a little on their lives.

I limit the stuff I put on and I do know exactly what you all mean when it comes to the drama thing, there's certainly enough stuff on there that really doesn't need to be.

I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they add people, dh has gotten more than one friend request from woman he barely knows. We're pretty picky about opposite gender, it's just weird to us when a man will ad me and not dh or the opposite.
ZaydensMomma likes this.
February 17th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Super Mommy
Hey I just wanted to offer you some encouragement! First of all congratulations in being a newly saved Christian What a great blessing it is to accept the Lord as your personal saviour! My husband and I were newly saved before getting married and chose to delete facebook. We found it was dangerous as so many people post vain pictures and are into each others personal business. People can be very hurtful when they dont have Christ and when they see someone they know who has changed their ways. Hang in there! God doesnt promise it will be a walk in the park but he promises to be there for you and walk beside you every step of the way! God Bless you and your family.
ZaydensMomma likes this.
February 18th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I decided to get back on Facebook last thursday night to clean up my friend list and talked to my sister in law and a good friend... I was only on FB for 1 hour and I saw this my so called friend post that she saw a friend post say they'd deactivate FB and they came back so short and they were being sneaky and nosy..... the way she wrote it.. it was not cool of her... it's the same girl who goes to my bible study and we are (or you could say were) good friends... and for her to type that.. i couldnt help but think if she was talking about me... I texted her to ask her if it was me and she shouldnt post dramatic status like that.. it's people's decision if they want to deactivate or come back. and it's not Christian-like to do that. she said it wasn't about me..but i beg to differ. Whatever. I deactivated Facebook again. I'm not up for high school games. and when i come back on facebook. i'm making it only CLOSE CLOSE friends and my family.
good riddance.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search