Can y'all help me out....

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM
ladybgg
I asked the LDS forum what exactly they believe. They gave me some great links. Then, I asked- In their opinion, what is the difference between LDS and Christianity.

This was one of the responses:

"There is no difference between Mormon and Christian because there is no Christian religion. Religions are or aren't Christian. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a Christian religion."

How do you interpret this? I am a little lost as to what she means.....

The only thing I can think is that she is talking about denominations. Or maybe she is saying that Mormon is Christianity......?

Also, what exactly is the major difference between Mormon and Christanity?
August 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I don't know what this person meant when they said that there is no Christian religion - they must have been confused with denominations. Regardless, Christians don't really think so much as being religious as they do having a relationship with Christ.

Here are some differences between the two religions.

Christians believe and accept the Bible to be the ONLY authoritative scripture, where Mormons have The Pearl of Great Price, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Book of Mormon.

Christians believe that the Godhead is composed of three persons of one substance, power, and eternity—the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. These Three are One. This triune God is without "body, parts or passions." The LDS Church also teaches that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost comprise the Godhead. But Mormons believe that God the Father and Jesus Christ have bodies of flesh and bones as tangible as human beings, while the Holy Ghost "is a personage of Spirit." Mormonism also teaches that God the Father was once a man. He is married to a "heavenly mother" and is the literal father of all mortal spirits.

Christians believe that Jesus Christ was "truly God and truly man, in whom the divine and human natures are perfectly and inseparably united." He is the only begotten Son of the Father, born of the Virgin Mary by the power of the Holy Spirit. Mormons believe that Jesus is the Son of God in the most literal sense. He is eldest brother of all mortals and firstborn spirit child of God. He was Jehovah of the Old Testament but became Jesus Christ of the New Testament when he was born into mortality. They believe that from Mary, a mortal woman, he inherited the capacity to die, and from God, an exalted being, he inherited the capacity to live forever.

Most Christians believe that salvation comes only by the grace of Christ, who "suffered, was crucified, died and was buried, to reconcile his Father to us, and to be a sacrifice, not only for original guilt, but also for actual sins of men." Mormons also believe that salvation comes through Christ's atoning sacrifice. But they don’t believe in "original sin" or in human depravity. Still, Latter-day Saints believe that fallen men and women do need redemption. And while works are a necessary condition, they are insufficient for salvation.

This link has even MORE information:
http://www.basicchristian.org/christian_mormon.html

August 8th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
The main difference between Mormons and Christians are that Christians believe in the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. We believe that they are all one in 3 persons....

They do not believe that Christ is God. Mormons are not Christians because of that belief, but they will call themselves that. From the statement that she gave you it sounds as though she is contridicting herself...there are no Christian religions, but then she states that LDS is a Christian religion.....

August 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
ladybgg
Quote:
The main difference between Mormons and Christians are that Christians believe in the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. We believe that they are all one in 3 persons....

They do not believe that Christ is God. Mormons are not Christians because of that belief, but they will call themselves that. From the statement that she gave you it sounds as though she is contridicting herself...there are no Christian religions, but then she states that LDS is a Christian religion.....[/b]

Yes, they are saying that they are Christians. I have always been taught that Mormons are NOT Christians. They were asking me why we didn't believe that they were Christians. I honestly could not answer her. I don't know enough about Mormonism.

That totally clears it up for me though.... they don't believe that Christ is God.... Great! thanks!

This is all so confusing.

Do you think I should tell her that the difference is that they don't believe Christ is God?
August 9th, 2006, 08:21 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can sure tell her that, and she will probably agree with you. Any mormon living here in Utah would never say that Jesus and "Heavenly Father" (they hardly ever refer to him as God) are one in the same.

Mormons are ADAMANT about the fact that they want to be known as Christians, but in the not-so-distant past they didn't like that term. Someone who attends my church (she's in her late 30's) remembers being teased and taunted when she was in high school for being a Christian.

Also, in another thread I read that Mormons believe in the atonement of Jesus Christ. They say they believe in this, but they think the atonement actually happened in the Garden of Gethsemene, not on the cross. This is obviously a major issue. They will actually mock (my in-laws have done this) the fact that someone claims to be "saved". In reality, they think that everyone will go to one of the three levels of heaven. Temple mormons will go to the highest level where they will become their own god with wives for multiplying their own world. Relatively "good" people will go to the lowest level of heaven whether they are mormon or not (this level is like Earth). Only REALY bad people like murderers and rapists will go to outer darkness. They don't really believe in a literal hell.

Really, the differences go on and on, but Mormons want to be viewed as mainstream Christian even though one of their early prophets said that Christianity was an abomination--none of the churches were right, so Joseph Smith had to start a new church that was 100% correct. Hmmmmm.......

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM
ladybgg
that is alot of useful information. Why don't they SAY that? I have asked several times....

Also, the main LDS website doesn't say what the difference is.... they just claim to be Christian...

This is what it says when the question "are you Christianss" was asked...

Question:
Are you Christians?

Answer:
Gordon B. Hinckley, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said:

"We are Christians in a very real sense and that is coming to be more and more widely recognized. Once upon a time people everywhere said we are not Christians. They have come to recognize that we are, and that we have a very vital and dynamic religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ."

"We, of course, accept Jesus Christ as our Leader, our King, our Savior...the dominant figure in the history of the world, the only perfect Man who ever walked the earth, the living Son of the living God. He is our Savior and our Redeemer through whose atoning sacrifice has come the opportunity of eternal life."

"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints pray and worship in the name of Jesus Christ. He is the center of our faith and the head of our Church. The Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Jesus Christ and witnesses of His divinity, His life, and His Atonement."

It almost seems like they tiptoe around the subject of Jesus BEING God...
August 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM
ladybgg
I am getting so frustrated.

People are either closing my threads or passing them by!!!! Why can't someone just be curious?? I just want to study... is it because they are afraid of what I might say as a Christian?

It is getting to be a bitter subject. I don't understand how we can spread what we believe if we cannot even discuss it!?

I'm sorry, this is just frustrating...
August 9th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I saw that that thread was closed right after someone commented on what I said---I really wasn't meaning to be confrontational, bit I don't think it's right that I can make one comment and someone says I'm obviously not education about Mormons. That's not fair! I didn't even get a chance to respond.

Anyways, I'm sorry if it was my fault they closed your thread--feel free to ask any questions here that you wish.

P.S. Don't feel discouraged....keep your chin up

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
Here's what I'm wondering. If LDS is Christian, then why aren't they posting here on the Christian parenting board?

Or maybe some of you are, and I just don't know what everyones religion is on this forum. It might be best in some cases not to know. And just encourage each other to move on with God and keep Him first. kwim?

<div align="center"></div>
August 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
ladybgg
Quote:
Yeah, I saw that that thread was closed right after someone commented on what I said---I really wasn't meaning to be confrontational, bit I don't think it's right that I can make one comment and someone says I'm obviously not education about Mormons. That's not fair! I didn't even get a chance to respond.

Anyways, I'm sorry if it was my fault they closed your thread--feel free to ask any questions here that you wish.

P.S. Don't feel discouraged....keep your chin up[/b]

It wasn't you! All they had to do was be civil... you had a question just like I did... maybe they just can't handle it J/K

I dunno, but I'm still going!
August 9th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Oh, okay, I thought you were mad at me for butting in on your thread---you really can ask me questions about Mormonism and I will be able to find an answer for you.....my husband use to be LDS and I live in Utah amongst LOTS of Mormons.....I have read lots of stuff about it and talked to lots of people.

~Stacey

August 9th, 2006, 02:12 PM
ladybgg
I think I got enough on mormons.... now, I'm off to Atheism .....a tough one. But, I have to do it sometime... my in-laws are atheist.

Thanks ladies for your help. If you happen to have any input, please feel free to PM me.
August 10th, 2006, 10:23 AM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello ladies! I am LDS and perhaps I can clear up a few misunderstandings and confusion you may have about the religion that I belong to. Rusha did a great job of summing up some of the big differences and I thank you for stating these things correctly. Now to move on to some things that were said...

Quote:
Mormons are ADAMANT about the fact that they want to be known as Christians, but in the not-so-distant past they didn't like that term. Someone who attends my church (she's in her late 30's) remembers being teased and taunted when she was in high school for being a Christian.[/b]
It is true that we consider ourselves as Christians. In the true definition of Christianity we really are Christians. We believe in Christ, we believe he atoned for our sins, we learn about Christ, we try to be like Christ, and basically the whole church revolves around Jesus Christ. He's even in our name, The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints. Christianity is a religion with many different denominations and we just happen to be one of them, just like Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Baptists, etc. We don't claim to be mainstream Christians, just a denomitation of Christianity.

The person Melissa originally quoted doesn't make sense, and her comment should just be ignored. It's just silly.

Quote:
Also, in another thread I read that Mormons believe in the atonement of Jesus Christ. They say they believe in this, but they think the atonement actually happened in the Garden of Gethsemene, not on the cross. This is obviously a major issue. They will actually mock (my in-laws have done this) the fact that someone claims to be "saved".[/b]
Actually, we believe that Christ took upon him the sins of the world in the garden of Gethsemene and died upon the cross to complete the Atonement. I think when it comes to the Atonement Mainstream Christians and Mormons are on the same page.

I'm sorry that you've run into some people who were rude and"mocked" you, but that is against what we are taught to do and I hope that you don't group those ignorant people with the rest of the religion. Surely you can understand that some people don't represent a religion like they should. I'm sorry that you ran into those people. We are taught tolerance and love for other faiths and respect all religious beliefs.

Quote:
Really, the differences go on and on, but Mormons want to be viewed as mainstream Christian even though one of their early prophets said that Christianity was an abomination--none of the churches were right, so Joseph Smith had to start a new church that was 100% correct. Hmmmmm.......[/b]
Quite simply the statement that one of our early prophets said that Christianity was an abomination is just not true. It is true that Joseph Smith was told by God himself that none of the churches an the earth at that time had all the truths, but it was never declared that Christianity was an abomination.

Quote:
It almost seems like they tiptoe around the subject of Jesus BEING God...[/b]
We do not believe that Jesus is God. As stated earlier by someone else we believe that God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three seperate beings, but one in purpose.

Quote:
Here's what I'm wondering. If LDS is Christian, then why aren't they posting here on the Christian parenting board?[/b]
That was a decision made by the moderators. I suppose they made seperate boards for Catholics and Mormons because these religions differ to much to all be on one board. Even though we all believe in Christ and are Christians, some practices differ a nd it's easier to talk about those practices without fear of being chastised when you're on your own board.

Quote:
---you really can ask me questions about Mormonism and I will be able to find an answer for you.....my husband use to be LDS and I live in Utah amongst LOTS of Mormons.....I have read lots of stuff about it and talked to lots of people.[/b]
With all due respect, if one is searching for answers about a specific religion one should go straight to the source (aka a member of that religion).

If anyone has any other questions about Mormons I'd be more then happy to answer your questions. I mean this post with the best intent and I'm glad I could clarify some things. In the end we're all just trying to be good people, right? Best of wishes!!!

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

August 10th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Okie dokie, if you want to get technical, you should do some research before you call someone a liar. I will use JD to quote from the Journal of Discourses.

JD 5:73~"When the light came to me I saw that all the so-called Christian world was groveling in darkness."
JD 8:99~"With a regard to true theology, a more ignorant people never lived than the present so-called Christian world."
JD 6:25~"What! Are Christians ignorant? Yes, as ignorant of the things of God as the brute beast."

Orson Pratt (Mormon Apostle)~"...all other churches are entirely destitute of all authority from God; and any person who receives baptism of the Lords's Supper from their hands highly offend God, for he looks upon them as the most corrupt of all people"
---seems like he doesn't like 'em to me!

Brigham Young~"the Christian God is the Mormon's Devil..." JD 5:331

Bruce R. McConkie~"What is the church of the devil in our day, and where is the seat of her power?...It is all of the systems , both Christian and non-Chrisian, that perverted the pure and perfect gospel...It is communism; it is Islam; it is Buddhism; it is modern Christianity in all its parts..." The Mellennial Messiah pp. 54-55

In my opinion, you should go to your own texts and read what your early leaders actually wrote. Isn't that the actual "source"? I don't know when the switch happened, but it isn't fair to say that Christians weren't verbally attacked.

~Stacey

August 10th, 2006, 02:17 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't call you a liar. (sigh) And I still don't see where the early leaders of this church called Christianity an abomination, so I will stick by my statement that those things said aren't true.

It is a common practice for anti-Mormon critics to search through the sermons of early leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and pull out quotes that are shocking or disturbing to the more genteel sensibilities of Latter-day Saints. This is typically done without giving context for the quoted material. It should also be noted that the Journal of Discourses is not considered to be dotrine of the church.

If you want to talk to me more about this particular thing you can PM me.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

August 10th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Oops....forgot to add that quote--

"....they are all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt..." Joseph Smith Pearl of Great Price 2:19

Also, I don't think it's wise to say that the Journal of Discourses isn't considered Mormon Doctrine because all the words out of a prophet's mouth are suppose to be more accurate than scripture. Right?

~Stacey

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search