baptism and dedication

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I believe in baptizing my children as infants, and I see in another post that most of you dedicate your children.

I am interested to know what exactly the difference between baptism and dedicating is, besides the obvious sprinkling or immersion in water part.

Why do you baptize? Or why do you dedicate?

I absolutely respect everyones choices and opinions, I just really want to know what you/your church believes.
August 8th, 2006, 11:35 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
neither of my children have been dedicated at my church. At the time of both of their births, we were not in church..

The reason for dedication is to publicly committ to raising your children in a christian home where they will be taught about God and taught from the Bible...

August 9th, 2006, 07:22 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dedication is about the parents; we dedicate our children to God acknowledging that our children (just as we) belong to God eternally and not us. He is the ultimate Father, and our parental roles here on earth are temporary. We promise to raise said children to know the truths of God through His word- we do this in front of our church family; the body of Christ so that we can support one another in this commission of ours to raise our children the God wants us to.

Baptism is about us individually. Baptism is an outward acknowledgement that we have accept Jesus Christ as the messiah; our Lord and Savior and we now live for Him and not ourselves. No one can make that decision for anyone else; we can only make such a decision for ourselves. That's why we don't believe in infant baptism.

I want to add scripture to back this up, but my Bible is on the 1st floor and I'm on the 3rd right now w/ my children, i will try to remember later to do it.

HTHs!

</div>
August 9th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Dedication is about the parents; we dedicate our children to God acknowledging that our children (just as we) belong to God eternally and not us. He is the ultimate Father, and our parental roles here on earth are temporary. We promise to raise said children to know the truths of God through His word- we do this in front of our church family; the body of Christ so that we can support one another in this commission of ours to raise our children the God wants us to.

Baptism is about us individually. Baptism is an outward acknowledgement that we have accept Jesus Christ as the messiah; our Lord and Savior and we now live for Him and not ourselves. No one can make that decision for anyone else; we can only make such a decision for ourselves. That's why we don't believe in infant baptism.[/b]
That about says it all! Very well put!

August 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

Baptism is about us individually. Baptism is an outward acknowledgement that we have accept Jesus Christ as the messiah; our Lord and Savior and we now live for Him and not ourselves. No one can make that decision for anyone else; we can only make such a decision for ourselves. That's why we don't believe in infant baptism.[/b]
That about says it all! Very well put!
[/b]
ITA^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

<div align="center"></div>
August 9th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When a new baby is born, do parents wait for years to see whether the baby chooses to be part of the family before they treat him as part of the family? No, they treat the little one as part of the family right away. Do they wait for years to give the child a name and just say "Hey, you!" until he can choose a name for himself? No, they give the baby a name as soon as he's born. Now, it's conceivable that when a child grows up, he could disown his family and change his name, but that's not the expectation. The expectation is that the child will always be in the family.

In God's family, the church, should we wait for a baby to grow up before treating him as a member of God's family? Should we wait to see how he turns out before we give him a name, an identity? No, a baby of Christian parents should be treated from the start as part of God's family. He should have the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit placed on him in baptism.

To be born into a Christian family and be baptized as a baby is no substitute for personal faith; it makes the call for personal faith all the more powerful and urgent. That's why churches that baptize babies of believers also insist that when those children reach a point where they're able to make up their own minds, they must make a personal, public profession of faith in Christ. Let me say again: God's covenant involves family solidarity and personal responsibility, not either/or.

God uses baptism to strengthen faith and increase joy. If you trust in Jesus and see your baptism as the sign of sins forgiven and union with Christ, your baptism is a personal comfort. If you bring babies to Christ for his blessing and baptism, if you do all in your power to instruct them in the Christian faith and to lead them by your example to be Christ's disciples, if you make your home a place where Christ is loved and obeyed, then baptism is a seal of joy and confidence for your family's future.

A relationship with God is always deeply personal but never merely private. God does not just deal with individuals one at a time. God's covenant embraces believers, their families, and future generations. "He is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands" (Deuteronomy 7:9). What glorious good news!

Obviously, I did not write this myself, but it does express my opinion about it. It our church we baptize infants, and then as adults make our public profession of faith, which I guess is similar to adult baptism.

btw, in the beginning of the article I quoted it stressed that it was important not to get hung up on diversion between christians (infant baptism vs dedication), so again I respect all your beliefs. I didn't want to put this is the debate forum because I don't want to talk about those for or against, I just wanted to know.
August 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
Some scripture on dedication would be from 1 Samuel. At least that is what we used when we dedicated our son. Hannah promised to give her son to the Lord. 1 Samuel 1:11 is where she cries out to God, and 1 Sam. 1:24- 1 Sam 2:11 is the where she brought him to the Lord.

I looked up the actual definition online of baptism and this is what I got and this is what I believe that it is.....

baptism

n : a Christian sacrament signifying spiritual cleansing and rebirth

We dedicate our children rather than baptise because of the fact that there is no rebirth until the child decides that they want to be reborn. It has to be their decision.

But when we dedicate our kids at our church they are anointed in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit. We do treat them as a member of the family of God immediately. But we do not choose to take a part in the actual baptism because I have not been able to find it in the Bible about baptising kids. But like I said they are covered and sealed with the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit when they are anointed at the time of the dedication.

I like your explanation though. Most of the parents that I have encountered that take a part in infant baptism do not explain it this way, they actually see it as a safe guard for their kids if they die they will be brought into heaven. It sounds like the only difference between how we do dedication at our church and the way you all do baptism is very similar other than the water aspect. Our dedication is a lot of parents and the church promising to raise this child up in the Word to the best of our ability. But we also include the babies. They are anointed and they are prayed for. We stand on the Word and take claim of the promises such as Deut 7:9 and we speak the Word over the child....

I think that I rambled and stuff, sorry, preggo brain...lol but I hope I made sense

August 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
On the day of Pentecost, the Lord poured out his Holy Spirit to launch the new covenant era. The apostle Peter told the people, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children" (Acts 2:38-39). Those words of Peter echoed God's promise to Abraham, to be a faithful God to him and his children. About 3,000 people were baptized that day.

After Pentecost, the Holy Spirit kept adding to the church, and not just one individual at a time. The Spirit added whole families. Entire households were baptized. When the Lord opened the heart of a woman named Lydia, the result was not just an individual baptism. "She and the members of her household were baptized" (Acts 16:15). When a suicidal jailer asked the apostle Paul, "What must I do to be saved?" he was told, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household." The man believed, his despair turned to joy, and "he and all his family were baptized" (Acts 16:31,33). A synagogue ruler named Crispus "and his entire household" came to Christ and were baptized (Acts 18:8). In one of Paul's letters, he wrote, "I also baptized the household of Stephanas" (1 Corinthians 1:14).

You are right, in scripture they do not specifically mention infant baptism. But I am going to assume that babies and children were part of "entire households".
August 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
Until recently I have been raised a baptist and my particular church never believed in baptising a baby....They believe that a person must be willing to make the choice to give themselves to the Lord and babies aren't capable of making that choice. So with my oldest I never had him baptised and he hasn't not yet chosen to be baptised. I raised him to make the choice for himself.

With my youngest I have joined the African Methodist Episcopal church. They believe in dedication. Giving the childs life back to the Lord and it is mostly away for the parents to dedicate themselves in teaching their child the life of being a Christian. We are dedicating ourselves to educate them and to live the life as a Christian.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

August 16th, 2006, 09:15 AM
melissa29624's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to melissa29624
i had my savanna "dedicated" as i will little hannah too! when they grow up and accept Christ as their own personal savior....then it will be up to them to outwardly and publicly confess to be a follower of Christ by being baptised in his name!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search