Halloween

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2006, 01:59 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was reading a thread in the debate forum about if it is lying to get your kids to believe in Santa, The Easter Bunny, etc. and that got me thinking about a conversation I had in my SS class a few weeks ago. I teach the 4th-6th graders, and for some reason, this one little girl always talks about Halloween and how much she loves going trick-or-treating. Two of my other students responded this time by saying that they didn't celebrate Halloween and therefore didn't go trick-or-treating. The little girl said, "that's so stupid--you should trick-or-treat for as long as you can!" I had stayed out of the conversation so far, but then I told her that Halloween was a holiday for Wiccans and that we didn't do halloween in our house either. Was I totally out of line in saying that? I thought that I needed to back up my other 2 students when they were trying to tell her why they didn't do Halloween. I think I made her mad.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
Just to let you know, the last time that I brought up a subject that was in the debate forum, my topic got deleted. Just be ready!

Anyways, my POV. My parents took us trick or treating a few times when we were younger, then they stopped altogether. They would take us to different "Hallelujah Fests" and "Fall Festivals" that our church and other churches put on, but we didn't dress up.

I think that yes Halloween, Santa, Easter Bunny, all of those things originated from the Pagans. But, when we participate in these things, we are not doing it to worship Satan. We are doing it to have a good time, family time with our kids.

If we decided to no longer dress the kids up (we WON'T dress them in ghosts, witches, goblins, or anything like that) and take them trick or treating just because it was first a Pagan holiday, then we would also have to stop buying Christmas gifts, putting up a Christmas tree, going Easter egg hunting, or dying eggs for Easter.

Neither I, nor my husband find anything "wicked" or "evil" with us doing things on Halloween. We have one very large church in the area that puts on a wonderful Halloween night for the kids. When we take the kids there, we have no need to go anywhere else. They have food, games, prizes, trunk or treasure. And kids are all dressed up. Just the atmosphere is better.

<div align="center"></div>
August 9th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We go trick or treating. I tell my (older) children that some people think it's about witches and scary stuff, but all it is to us is dressing up and getting some candy, we're just having fun. I don't decorate for halloween, and really really dislike the skeletons and tombstones and blood and gore.
I don't know what I would have done in the SS class, on the one hand you want to support those 2 students, on the other hand, you don't want the other girl to feel like she is bad for going trick or treating. She is a child after all, and I think it's pretty normal for her to think that getting candy for as long as she can is a good thing. She is only reflecting her parents choices.

I would not be sad for a minute if Halloween was banned, it's definetly not my favorite. I can see why some people do not want to participate in halloween, but instead of acknowledging it as "the devils holiday" or whatever, we just have some fun dressing up and eat too much candy, and now that our kids are getting a bit older we do talk about Halloween and what it is to us.
August 9th, 2006, 02:19 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
[quote]
Just to let you know, the last time that I brought up a subject that was in the debate forum, my topic got deleted. Just be ready!

OOOh, I hope they don't delete me!

I would never presume to make someone else's choice for them, but we just choose not to participate in this in our home. There are plenty of people in our church who let their kids get involved.

As for the whole, all the other holidays are pagan holidays argument, that's kind of not true. I've heard the argument that the Christmas trees symbolizes worshiping nature, but another story I've heard was that the evergreen trees actually symbolize eternal life. BTW, we don't do Santa or the Easter Bunny either, but the rest of my family does and thinks we are FREAKS for not doing it.

I hope this subject doesn't get too heated---I was just wondering what the rest of you felt about this.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 9th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I sincerly hope we don't get into the "I'm right and you're wrong" (or vice versa) thing. I hope we can discuss rather than debate. I for one love hearing why people believe what they do.

I hope in here we all know that we may not agree on small things, but do agree on Who we believe in.
August 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM
ladybgg
If my thread got closed just DISCUSSING religion.... they must delete ANYTHING! It really didn't even get heated. Just innocent clarification on differences....

Who knows.... apparently ANYTHING can become a debate.....
August 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
Quote:
Neither I, nor my husband find anything "wicked" or "evil" with us doing things on Halloween. We have one very large church in the area that puts on a wonderful Halloween night for the kids. When we take the kids there, we have no need to go anywhere else. They have food, games, prizes, trunk or treasure. And kids are all dressed up. Just the atmosphere is better.[/b]
Heather, I think you and I are kindred spirits. AGAIN we are on the same wavelength!
There have always been things at church where the kids can dress up and have fun food and candy and things like that on Halloween. It's not trick or treating, but it is like a costume party. A fun alternative to halloween. I will take Aiden to it if they have one again this year.

When I was growing up, we went ot for halloween three times and then my parents felt convicted and after that we went out for dinner for some pizza (going out for pizza was a big deal for us) and then my parents wouldn't have bags of candy for us so we wouldn't feel left out. In the future, if the church we are attending doesn't have those halloween fun nights, then I think we will do much of the same thing as my parents did.

August 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If my thread got closed just DISCUSSING religion.... they must delete ANYTHING! It really didn't even get heated. Just innocent clarification on differences....

Who knows.... apparently ANYTHING can become a debate..... [/b]
I have said it before, I would stay out of those boards if I were you.

Halloween is for kids to get dressed up have fun and get some candy. That's all it is to us.
I agree the ghosts & gore part is not cool but I have never thought of Halloween, Santa, Easter Bunny, fancy weddings for that matter etc.. to be nothing more than marketing to make money. They are fine in moderation if you know what I mean. Keep them seperate from the true meaning of the holidays.

And as for telling the girls the wiccan holiday comment... I just have to say this is a free country last time I checked and I find it fascinating that we are not allowed to talk about Christianity in schools for fear of offending, but people can talk about and do just about anything else and they are somehow protected.

You were saying what you believe. You have that right.
<div align="center"></div>
August 10th, 2006, 07:35 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
We got out trick or treating. My kids dress in the latest toy costume. I don't see anything wrong in it... My kids are not in immoral costumes, they know it is just for candy and to get dressed up....
We do Santa.. We don't do the Easter bunny though....

It all depends on if God is convicting you on your lifestyle. If He convicts you about doing these activities, then you must stop doing them.
thanks ladies for discussing this civil...

August 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM
melissa29624's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to melissa29624
Quote:
I think that yes Halloween, Santa, Easter Bunny, all of those things originated from the Pagans. But, when we participate in these things, we are not doing it to worship Satan. We are doing it to have a good time, family time with our kids.

If we decided to no longer dress the kids up (we WON'T dress them in ghosts, witches, goblins, or anything like that) and take them trick or treating just because it was first a Pagan holiday, then we would also have to stop buying Christmas gifts, putting up a Christmas tree, going Easter egg hunting, or dying eggs for Easter.

Neither I, nor my husband find anything "wicked" or "evil" with us doing things on Halloween. We have one very large church in the area that puts on a wonderful Halloween night for the kids. When we take the kids there, we have no need to go anywhere else. They have food, games, prizes, trunk or treasure. And kids are all dressed up. Just the atmosphere is better.

This post has been edited by mkgirl4u: Aug 9 2006, 05[/b]
couldn't have said how i feel any better than you did!!!

we do not let savanna dress in anything wicked or evil for halloween, never will let her! don't decorate with anything wicked either...just pumpkins and such! she is 5rs old and talks about God and Jesus nearly every day to me...mommy "God made the wind and rain and us to".."Mommy..Jesus died on the cross but then came back to life again"..."what are sins mommy"??>>>>>>>> soo........ i know we are teaching her right...so when i tell her halloween is just for fun...i know she will just see it as that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search