Absolute Truth

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you believe in it and has this topic ever come up in your church?

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 11th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I have no idea what it is!! Can you explain it?

August 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM
You should read/skim through an article about this at christianfaith.com. It's really very interesting. Just type in the search area "absolute truth". Have you ever heard the saying, "well, everything is relative," or "well, that may be true for you, but". Is there a truth for you and a truth for me? Or is there a real truth out there--a truth from God--and we all just need to find it? I think it's an interesting question and something we as Christians need to be aware of. The secular is really pushing the idea that there is no absolute truth and it's starting to rub off on Christians too. I was just curious to see what all of your thoughts on the issue were.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 11th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't read the article (but I will later), but our pastor has preached on it, and I believe there is an absolute truth, definetly. It may not always be easy or make you popular, but that is how it is.

I had a discussion a while ago with someone who went to a church where living together (before you were married) was just fine (as long as you get married to that person). Now I am not saying that if you are co-habitating that you should not be allowed in church, but that is just not how it is. In the same way, no one can convince me that a homosexual lifestyle is okay. I do not hate people that are gay, but God's design was for a man and a woman to be together.
It sure isn't a popular thing to do to take a stand against those things.

It's too bad though, that the absolute truth is often mistaken as extremism.
I'm just thinking about my fil, he reads in the bible that homosexuality is wrong, so in his perfect world all gay people would be put on an island and we could drop a bomb on them (I wish I was exaggerating, but I am not).

The greatest commandment is to love each other, but he somehow doesn't think that applies to those that are not like him.
August 11th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There sure is. The bible teaches us how to find it.

As for the gay thing and other isses... It is not our place to judge others. It is our place to love others and pray for them. Jesus did not judge and we are to live our lives in his likeness.

He who is without sin cast the first stone. (I can't remember what chapter & verse that is in the book of John)

This is just what I have learned, not that I am preaching because I am not. I have to work on being a true Christian everyday. It is hard work and I often have to ask for help (which is a reason I am on this board). I hope I am doing a good job.
<div align="center"></div>
August 11th, 2006, 05:56 PM
ladybgg
We have what we call "Sphere of Influence Training" every Sunday evening. We are currently speaking about absolute truth. The need to know about it when witnessing....

It has been awsome learning how to reach out to our sphere of influence.
August 11th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe 100% that there is an absolute truth from God. It says so in the Bible. As someone before me said though, it is not our place to judge. We are to love the sinner and hate the sin. We can disagree with their lifestyle and still love them just like Christ did with the tax collectors and the adulterous woman.

August 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I somewhat agree with the not judging thing, but I think the verses in the Bible about not judging refer to us not judging other Christians. If you will read the verses after "judge lest ye not be judged, "our brother" is used over and over again. "Our brothers" are other Christians, as we are not a child of God until we accept Christ as our Savior. The Bible says that we are adopted sons and daughters of Christ. We are not automatically so. I think we do have to judge, otherwise, everything would be alright. That is why the Holy Spirit gives us discernment.

With that being said, you are so right that we are to love the sinner and hate the sin. It is alright to judge that what someone is doing is wrong, but it is not alright not to love that person. Jesus actually did judge in some instances. The one that comes to mind is when he overturned the money changers tables in the temple. If you will remember, Jesus was very angry and told them that what they were doing was wrong. He also constantly chastised the Pharisees for their ways of thinking and acting. As for the adulterous woman, Jesus could see into people's hearts and really know them because He was God. He knew that woman was ready to accept his message for her. That is why we should love everyone. We never know when the Holy Spirit is working on someone's heart.

I don't know if this all made any sense, but I thought I would share what I have learned in a recent Bible study on this very topic. Before I studied this, I thought it was wrong to judge anyone else too.

~Stacey

August 13th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I really don't know if it's allright for us to judge. How is someone else's sin worse than mine? Who am I to judge someone else's actions, when I have so many of my own flaws? Sure, Jesus judged, but he was perfect, so in my eyes he had every right to.

You bring up an interesting point though.
August 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I somewhat agree with the not judging thing, but I think the verses in the Bible about not judging refer to us not judging other Christians. If you will read the verses after "judge lest ye not be judged, "our brother" is used over and over again. "Our brothers" are other Christians, as we are not a child of God until we accept Christ as our Savior. The Bible says that we are adopted sons and daughters of Christ. We are not automatically so. I think we do have to judge, otherwise, everything would be alright. That is why the Holy Spirit gives us discernment.

With that being said, you are so right that we are to love the sinner and hate the sin. It is alright to judge that what someone is doing is wrong, but it is not alright not to love that person. Jesus actually did judge in some instances. The one that comes to mind is when he overturned the money changers tables in the temple. If you will remember, Jesus was very angry and told them that what they were doing was wrong. He also constantly chastised the Pharisees for their ways of thinking and acting. As for the adulterous woman, Jesus could see into people's hearts and really know them because He was God. He knew that woman was ready to accept his message for her. That is why we should love everyone. We never know when the Holy Spirit is working on someone's heart.

I don't know if this all made any sense, but I thought I would share what I have learned in a recent Bible study on this very topic. Before I studied this, I thought it was wrong to judge anyone else too.[/b]
Thank you for this reply. I can't wait to start my group bible study because studying alone I have nobody to toss questions and discussion to. We do not know what someone else is going through in their hearts. Makes me try and take a breath before I say things (or not say anything).

Quote:
I really don't know if it's allright for us to judge. How is someone else's sin worse than mine? Who am I to judge someone else's actions, when I have so many of my own flaws? Sure, Jesus judged, but he was perfect, so in my eyes he had every right to.

You bring up an interesting point though.[/b]
I have to agree with you and am ashamed of my past judgement towards others. I personally have no room to judge others but I know I can stay true to the Lord if I stay close to him like I have been doing. I hope that makes at least a little sense.
<div align="center"></div>
August 16th, 2006, 09:03 AM
melissa29624's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to melissa29624
i do believe in absolute truth! but believing it and living it are both 2 very different things KWIM! ? ! ! ?

the bible says what it says...that's it...it'll never change nor will Jesus's standards for living right! people tend to take the bible and interpret it to their benefit...KWIM?

it's hard to live the way we are suppose to...but there is absolute truth....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search