Prayer

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if you guys have ever listened to Sara Groves, but I absolutely LOVE her! She writes all of her own songs and they are so down to earth and about topics that really need discussing. Her recent hit was called "The Word". My dad is into the whole post modernist movement (the name it and claim it ideology). He always tells me to just pray as though God has already granted you what you want. I don't know how all of you feel about this, but I think this is VERY dangerous. What happened to the respect for God that he so richly deserves? His ways are always going to be better than mine and I must trust him regarding his will. Now, God wants us to pray to him and ask for what we need, but the answers we get might not be what we thought they would be. I'm sorry if I sound preachy, but I get so frustrated with my dad and step-mom. They try to force this stuff on dh and I (and everyone else for that matter). Anyways, I wanted to share the lyrics to this song with all of you. I think it is so well-put. It's called "What I Thought I Wanted".

Tuxedo in the closet, gold band in a box
Two days from the alter she went and called the whole thing off
What he thought he wanted, what he got instead
Leaves him broken yet grateful
I passed understanding a long, long time ago
And the simple home of systems and answers we all know
What I thought I wanted, what I got instead
Leaves me broken and somehow peaceful
I keep wanting you to be fair
But that's not what you said
I want certain answers to these prayers
But that's not what you said
When I get to heaven I wanna go find Job
I want to ask a few hard questions, I wanna know what he knows
About what it is he wanted and what he got instead
How to be broken yet faithful
Staring in the water like Aesop's foolish dog
I can't help but reflect on what it was I almost lost
What I thought I wanted, what I got instead
Leaves me broken and grateful
I want to be grateful, peaceful, thankful, faithful, grateful

Please feel free to post away on your thoughts about this. Don't worry, I know I am ultra-conservative and you won't hurt my feelings!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 22nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
I think that the name it and claim it thing is great, but like you said there is still to be that reverence with God, so it is a hard thing. BUT we are told that anything we ask for in His name will be done, and we have authority given to us in Jesus. I think that if your heart is pure when you are claiming something, and God will know, then it is not that you are taking advantage of Him. I think that people also need to be careful and stop and remember to praise God more than they ask from Him. It would be like if our kids just ask and ask and ask and forget to tell us how grateful they are and how much they love us, we are eventually going to throw up our hands and allow them to go with out for awhile. Now obviously God has much more patience with us then we have with our kids. We also have to remember that when we are claiming something that it will not necessarily be answered in the way that we are thinking. God can see the end result right from the beginning while we can only see what is in front of our face at the time and we can only speculate what will happen in the future.....

I wanted to say that too that if you are not comfy with praying this way, talk with Him about it, ask Him what He feels and ask Him to lead you to scriptures so that you know that you are moving in His will. My DH and I we do pray quite often as though we already have something, but not all the time, we pray as the Spirit moves us and I think that is important. We have the power of life and death with our tongues and the Bible tells us to speak of things as though they were, so we do that often. But if God puts a humbleness on our hearts when we are asking that is a different case.

I am not sure that I just made any sense....preggo brain sometimes is a funny thing...lol, and sorry this turned into a novel.....

August 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure your take on that song (I've never heard it btw) but I think it is about trying to make things happen your own way without involving God and how when you do things in your own strength it sometimes backfires on you.

I think that you always need to pray that God's will be done. But I also believe it is God's will for us to be blessed. That's why I believe in claiming things in Jesus name. It says somewhere in the gospels(I'm not good with scriptures) that what father when asked for a gift would give a snake instead (or something like that) and how much more so does God, our heavenly father wish to bless us with what we ask for.

I agree with what Jessica says that you should seek him to guide you if you are unsure in this area and he will show you his heart on the matter.
August 22nd, 2006, 07:29 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm...I didn't get that at all.....I was talking about that part that says, "I want certain answers to these prayers, but that's not what you said"----I thought it was about praying with things in your mind about how God is going to answer you beforehand. Maybe I totally didn't get the song. The part about Job and how his life went so badly even when he was so faithful to God and how she wanted to ask him about that when she got to heaven......? I think it's about getting answers to your prayers that maybe you didn't expect or even want and that God's will is always right.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search