what kind of good

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't know how to phrase the topic title, but you know how bad things happen, and then hindsight, or even while you are in it, you experience blessings and lessons that you would have otherwise not have learned?

I guess I am thinking of a fairly major event in your life, not the every day blessings (we just have to look at our children to know how good God is).

I still struggle with really believing God will take care of me no matter what comes our way, even though he comes through time and time again. Last year around this time we were about to head into a major major financial disaster, we have a dairy farm, and our cows got a bad illness, which ended up in us producing poor quality milk, for which we got docked majorly, and we had to ship way less than we used to, and we had to sell our sick cows for really cheap and buy back better ones for much more money. It almost makes me sick thinking about it, it was HORRIBLE. Come January though, we got some major financial windfalls, exactly what we needed to get caught up again. The timing for this could not have been better. And I know in the end money is just money, but with 5 children to provide for, you do want to make a living.

You would think I would stop worrying about money now, because I still do, even though I don't really have anything to worry about, and even though I know that God will take care of me.

This is just a recent event though, one of the things that really changed my life was having my 4th baby almost 2 months premature. Even though it was hard, I would not have changed it if I could. I was always thankfull for my healthy children, they're such a gift, but I prayed harder in those days than I ever did, and so did my church family, and my little Hailey did amazing, and I wholly attribute that to prayer. Had it been God's will, he could have taken her from us, but I am just so eternally greatfull he let us keep her. She ended up having apnea, so her hospital stay was a bit longer than average for that gestation, she was in there for 5 weeks, including the whole month of December, and with 3 other children it was so hard to have her in the hospital. The biggest thing I learned is that if God had wanted things to be different, then they would have been, and if this is what His will was for me, then I would have to trust Him to get me through it. I don't know how long it would have taken me to really learn this important lesson if it had not been for my preemie.

I know this got a little long winded (sorry), but I'd love to hear how you found good or life lessons from something that started out being a negative thing, and how you have seen God's hand move in your life.
August 28th, 2006, 08:30 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As we know, God can use ALL things for His glory. I niavely thought that being a Christian meant having a good and happy life. I've since learned differently. I *think* it was Paul (again, my Bible is down stairs ) who calls to be content in all things. It's hard to be content when you've had a second trimester miscarriage, when you desire just one more child- but your body just won't carry a baby to term, when your best friend loses her 10 month old son, or when you have a disabled child. I've learned though, that God WILL use all things to His glory. I've learned that truly giving my life to God means giving Him the reigns and trusting Him to know better than me. I know that sounds silly to think that I may want to think that I know more than God- but when you're child is in and out of the hospital and the fear that she will die lingers day in and day out- you plead to God for some crazy things. How can I tell God NOT to take my daughter from this horribly backwards world? I should be asking for her healing and be content with God's healing (which maybe taking her pain and illness away here on earth and making her totally able-bodied, or it could be allowing her to come live with Him early and be free from pain and illness). Obviously, I pray beyond prayer that He will heal her on this earth for my own selfish reason of wanting her with me for all of my life. Is that fair? I don't think it's realistic for a parent (a sinful human) to pray otherwise- so I do pray for my heart's desire of having my child be healthy with us here on earth; but I also pray for God's will. So yes, I believe this is good- I can trust in the Lord to glorify my daughter's body when he takes her home (and all of us). In all that has happened so far, I am able to face the day whether I do it with a broken heart and tears, fatigue, or confidence and know that HE is God, HE will be glorified, and that he LOVES my children and myself and holds our heart and our every tear.

Was that a weird tangent? lol. I hope it makes sense to you- it does to me.

</div>
August 28th, 2006, 09:34 AM
SweetPeaMamma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SweetPeaMamma
Those are some really touching stories. I agree with you, I think all humans would wish for their child to be with them, selfish or not. We want to keep them close to us forever.

One thing I remember is when my husband was on the submarine. (he's on shore duty right now). They had gone out for a six month deployment about a year after we started dating. I was devastated. I was certain that this time apart would ruin us. We were so close and without being able to see each other in person I was terrified he might lose his affection for me. One thing I learned is that it was probably the best thing that ever happened to us. We developed our relationship on so many more levels than most people get the opportunity. We learned a level of trust I had never known, we got to know each other from the emails and letters we would write. It showed us both that our relationship had a stable foundation. I was so angry at everything when he left. I wanted him home with me, I didn't want him over THERE. But in the end, he came home safely, we got engaged and then later married and I don't remember anger now. I remember the wonderful time we had getting to know one another over and over.

August 28th, 2006, 10:09 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to say that your stories are all so touching! I'll share mine with you all later. I have to go get my daughter something to eat.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM
ladybgg
My whole life is good to bad. My entire testimony is how my Lord has changed my life dramatically.

The scripture that leads my life is: 2 Corinthians 5:17
"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has gone and new has come".

When Christ said that He makes all things new..... HE DOES!

I led a life of drugs, sex and lies. He renewed my heart! I am clean going on 7 years!!! I am married with 3 girls. One that I placed for adoption at 18. My entire life is NEW!

One specific thing without going into my entire testimony-
I miscarried a baby May of 2005. It was a terrible miscarriage. I lost WAY TOO much blood. I passed out, my body went into shock and I was rushed to the ER via ambulance. I should've had a transfusion, but the doctor thought there were too many risks to a transfusion. So, we didn't do one. Well, I ended up with an emergency D&C because they couldn't stop my bleeding. It was a very dramatic and tragic time. We found out that the baby had died on my daughters first birthday. Honestly- we all thought I was dying... it was that bad.

Anyway, what came from this is:
My mom has a friend a t work that wasn't saved (if I understand correctly). My mother came to work the following day (she stayed home with me the previous day- and in the hospital). Everyone was asking how I was... she went into the story. A lady named Linda was in total amazement that I was totally trusting the Lord with this situation. He brought me out of it.... She couldn't believe that I could even continue to live my normal life again. She began to come to church. She is now attending regularly... and is saved! PRAISE GOD!

So, yes, things all happen for something! I once heard Beth Moore say: "God lets things happen to either bring you closer to Him, or to bring someone who is lost to Him."

That rings true in my entire life! I cannot imagine having lived my life without people praying for me. Prayer is what saved my life..... and now I have Christ!
August 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am going to try to make this as short as possible and I am already in tears just thinking about this:

Our little angel baby was only with us 17 short weeks and through her, we became a closer family unit, closer to our Lord Jesus Christ, closer to our church and closer to our extended family. Because of Macy, we know how much our family and friends truly love us and are here for us always. She touched our lives in more ways than I could ever count. She is a beautiful and amazing spirit and I am thankful and blessed I got to spend the time I had with her. I can't wait to see her again.
<div align="center"></div>
August 29th, 2006, 01:16 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I am going to try to make this as short as possible and I am already in tears just thinking about this:

Our little angel baby was only with us 17 short weeks and through her, we became a closer family unit, closer to our Lord Jesus Christ, closer to our church and closer to our extended family. Because of Macy, we know how much our family and friends truly love us and are here for us always. She touched our lives in more ways than I could ever count. She is a beautiful and amazing spirit and I am thankful and blessed I got to spend the time I had with her. I can't wait to see her again.[/b]

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Lynn)))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
)))))))))))))))))

</div>
August 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
As we know, God can use ALL things for His glory. I've since learned differently. It's hard to be content when you've had a second trimester miscarriage, when you desire just one more child- but your body just won't carry a baby to term, I've learned though, that God WILL use all things to His glory. I've learned that truly giving my life to God means giving Him the reigns and trusting Him to know better than me.[/b]
Right back at 'cha....
August 31st, 2006, 12:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Great stories. What a comfort it is to us with deep struggles to know that one day we will all be reunited in heaven's perfection.
August 31st, 2006, 10:21 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I have one too....probably the worst time in my life was when my parents got divorced. Some background info--we lived in Utah when I was about 4-5 and my mom was having an affair with someone. Well, she found out she was pregnant, the man didn't want to have anything to do with her or the baby and she went back to my dad. He knew she was preg. and that the baby wasn't his, but he was kind of obsessed with my mom, so he took her back and we moved to Wyoming.

Fastforward about 7 years.....my parents chose not to tell my little sister or my brother and I for that fact that she wasn't my dad's bio kid. I always kind of remembered what had happened in Utah, but pushed it back in my mind somehow. My parents NEVER got along. They literally fought every single day and my dad was abusive to my brother and I (mostly just verbally---we were terrified of him----but some physical stuff too). He would do this sneakily so my mom wouldn't know. On the outside, we were the perfect little family. Little did everyone know what was really going on.

When I was 12, I found a letter that my mom had received from her old b/f (my sister's dad) recently. I was a snoop and read it. I discovered who my sister's bio dad was and confronted my mom. Needless to say, she was livid! She and my dad separated and we began making trips to Utah so my mom could be with this man again. My parents eventually divorced and we moved in with the other man and his 2 kids. They married and life was BAD! The kids all fought and the parents fought over whose kid was wronged.

Anyways, they eventually divorced. While this was all going on, I thought my life was so terrible and would never be okay. I usually went to church with my brother by ourselves and God never left me through all of this. I learned a lot through my experience. I don't want my family to be the wonderful one on the outside and terrible one on the inside. I don't want my dd to ever be afraid of me or dh. I don't want to constantly fight with dh. I would never stray b/c I see how it can tear a family apart. (My brother went to live with our dad when he was about 13 or 14 b/c he wasn't treated nicely in the step-family). God has shown me that a family doesn't have to look like what I knew as a child and has giving me a better life as an adult. I think I'm more thankful for the life I have now than I might have been had I had an easier childhood. God is so good!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 31st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Such awesome stories everyone. Thank you so much for sharing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search