Why do I always get drawn in?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM
Super Mommy
Does anyone else get drawn into religious debates on the internet? I made the mistake of going to the heated debates section, and I was reminded why I do not debate Christianity anymore. I always end up frustrated. My home group leader put it very well when he said, "it is important to be able to tell the difference between someone who is seeking the truth and someone who is just interested in antagonizing you."

I obviously haven't learned that lesson yet.

<span style="color:#993399"><span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">Check out my Myspace!
[/i]
September 1st, 2006, 10:30 PM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Does anyone else get drawn into religious debates on the internet? I made the mistake of going to the heated debates section, and I was reminded why I do not debate Christianity anymore. I always end up frustrated. My home group leader put it very well when he said, "it is important to be able to tell the difference between someone who is seeking the truth and someone who is just interested in antagonizing you."

I obviously haven't learned that lesson yet. [/b]
That's a VERY good point! I feel like that's exactly what it's about there. I was posting on the religious debates for a little bit, but then realized that people just post topics that they know will end up in an argument. You can give an answer, and it's never the "right" answer to them. They ask well why? So I just read the religious debates...don't post there much anymore.

<div align="center"></div>
September 2nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, yea, I agree with your group leader. That was very well put.
I stay out of there.
September 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
Wow, what a great point! Thank you for sharing.

I have never been to the debate boards because debating makes me so upset! LOL So I just ignore them. IS that bad?

September 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Wow, what a great point! Thank you for sharing.

I have never been to the debate boards because debating makes me so upset! LOL So I just ignore them. IS that bad?[/b]
That is not bad. For instance, how could Jesus not have existed? I have some athiest friends and I know they probably roll there eyes at me in their heads, but that is ok. I pray for them.
There is no debate for me, all I ever hear is confusion, and insecurity and sadness. Jesus has cured me of all of those and I wish others would let him cure them. More reason to pray for them.
September 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I stay away from there too. It frustrates me too much.
September 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that we just have to remember that we are ALWAYS going to be hated. In this world and our society, it is perfectly acceptable to be anything other than a Christian (Eastern religions, Wiccan, Mormon, Athiest, etc.). It has been that way since the beginning of Christianity and it will be that way until Jesus comes back for us. I know that if any other religion or belief was attacked and mocked on those boards like Christianity and the Bible is, there would be a serious uproar! We just have to (if we choose to respond) respond with love and kindness. Just know that you are probably going to be mocked. Jesus said this would happen. The only responsiblity we have is to share the gospel with others----if they don't choose to accept it, their blood is on their own hands.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 5th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think that we just have to remember that we are ALWAYS going to be hated. In this world and our society, it is perfectly acceptable to be anything other than a Christian (Eastern religions, Wiccan, Mormon, Athiest, etc.). It has been that way since the beginning of Christianity and it will be that way until Jesus comes back for us. I know that if any other religion or belief was attacked and mocked on those boards like Christianity and the Bible is, there would be a serious uproar! We just have to (if we choose to respond) respond with love and kindness. Just know that you are probably going to be mocked. Jesus said this would happen. The only responsiblity we have is to share the gospel with others----if they don't choose to accept it, their blood is on their own hands.[/b]

Well said!
September 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM
jaylynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree.
I read the posts and I have started praying for some of those women. There is one in particular that I always feel led to pray for.
Jamie
September 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I agree.
I read the posts and I have started praying for some of those women. There is one in particular that I always feel led to pray for.
Jamie[/b]
Interesting you feel that pull. Good for you.
September 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you for reminding me that we should count it a blessing when we are persecuted for Jesus's name's sake! I guess that's how we know we are doing something right I think debates cause me to be prideful, because I care more that people think I'm crazy or wrong than I do about what God thinks. I tend to get defensive and try and prove I'm right instead of leaving it up to God.

I need to work on that

<span style="color:#993399"><span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">Check out my Myspace!
[/i]
September 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I went to the debating forum once the religious one that is.... and will never go back. I got involved with one about evolution and was basically told I was wrong and stupid for believing in something that had no physical proof. Needless to say I stopped going.
September 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Oh, speaking of evolution, our church is having a Creation Seminar near the end of March. I plan on attending all the days and taking LOTS of notes! I will be sure to share here with you guys if you are interested!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 7th, 2006, 08:57 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I stay away from them!!!!

September 7th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Oh, speaking of evolution, our church is having a Creation Seminar near the end of March. I plan on attending all the days and taking LOTS of notes! I will be sure to share here with you guys if you are interested![/b]
Yea, please share!
September 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Super Mommy
Have you ever heard of Kent Hovind (I think that's his name). We have a cd set of his seminars and debates-he does not copyright them and so our pastor friend burned us copies. They are awesome! He is a wealth of knowledge, and it is amazing just how much proof there is for creation-and how much evidence against evolution.

I am utterly amazed when I watch his cd's. I haven't made it all the way through. I thought I already knew a lot of the information that's out there, but I haven't even scratched the surface!

He's very well known, you can probably find out about him on the internet-or maybe ask around and have someone burn you copies of his seminars like we did! Free is best!

[/i]
September 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is he the Answers in Genesis guy? I went a class at church (on video) of his once...very informative.

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
September 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh I've watched Mr. Kents tapes...he's really good in explaining things. Sometimes he makes jokes though, and they're really stupid, and you end up laughing because they're so stupid......but he's really interesting..jokes and all!

September 11th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Super Mommy
He makes it very entertaining, it's not just all boring science stuff you can't understand. Yes, he has lots of stupid jokes.

[/i]
September 11th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I completely forgot about this thread and that I had been asked a question that I never answered! I'm so glad you bumped it up for me! The creation seminar we will be having in March will have 3 sessions on 3 days. The instructor will be Dr. John Morris from the Institute for Creation Research......his studies will deal with the Bible, Creation vs Evolution, Dinosaurs, and the Flood. I'm really excited about this. Apparently, this guy is a wealth of information.

~Stacey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search