How do you all feel about dabbling in the occult?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2006, 01:17 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know that as little girls, we were all probably faced with that slumber party where someone wanted to get out the Oijia Board or play "light as a feather, stiff as a board". What do you think about these things and how will you talk to your children about them? I know this will probably get me into trouble, but I won't even let my daugher read books like Harry Potter when she is old enough to. I don't want her getting curious about this kind of stuff and trying to do it. My In-Laws are BIG into Harry Potter and recently my little SIL (who just turned 12) told me she "believed" in witchcraft and didn't think it was bad. What are all your thoughts on this? Guess you already know what I think.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 5th, 2006, 06:46 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I know that as little girls, we were all probably faced with that slumber party where someone wanted to get out the Oijia Board or play "light as a feather, stiff as a board". What do you think about these things and how will you talk to your children about them? I know this will probably get me into trouble, but I won't even let my daugher read books like Harry Potter when she is old enough to. I don't want her getting curious about this kind of stuff and trying to do it. My In-Laws are BIG into Harry Potter and recently my little SIL (who just turned 12) told me she "believed" in witchcraft and didn't think it was bad. What are all your thoughts on this? Guess you already know what I think. [/b]
Ooh! Great topic! I'll be interested to know everyone elses thoughts.
To put it blatantly; I don't believe anyone should "dabble" in the occult. I do, however, believe we should know about it so that we can witness to those who believe in it. As far as our kids are concerned; one of the major reasons we decided to homeschool was so that we could teach our children the truths about God and His world; which includes the evils that have infiltrated it. This means teaching them about people, their thoughts and theories that are used by the devil against God and His plan. I don't knwo if I will let the read Harry Potter- I probably will. I don't feel that I can let them enjoy liturature like The Chronicles of Narnia and not Harry Potter (which is very well written also), or Lord of the Rings; they all have magic and fantasy. I think it's always important to konw what the kids are reading and keep a dialogue about what they think about it.

</div>
September 5th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I personally don't think you can 'dabble' in the occult. It's all or nothing. Once you've gotten yourself into it you have opened yourself up to all kinds of attacks from the enemy which is so scary to me. Things like tarot cards, oija boards even astrology are so common place now days (not to mention harry potter) and so readily available to kids. As a teenager I was friends with people that had seances with oija boards for fun. That absolutely horrifies me now, if only I had known what we were doing.

I think it's important for kids to make their own choices but its also important for them to know exactly what it is they are choosing if they want to read harry potter or celebrate halloween.

Btw. what is the light as a feather game?
September 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM
It's a game where you try to levitate someone by chanting over and over.....light as a feather, stiff as a board......everyone is suppose to only hold the person up with one of their fingers.

I just wanted to add that on the religious debates board, there are quite a few girls who say that they have been attacked by "spirits" in their sleep (physically punched and scratched). I personally think this was demons and is nothing to mess around with! I find this so scary!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I just wanted to add that on the religious debates board, there are quite a few girls who say that they have been attacked by "spirits" in their sleep (physically punched and scratched). I personally think this was demons and is nothing to mess around with! I find this so scary![/b]

I agree, none of it is something you should mess around with. I know a lot of people think Harry Potter, halloween etc is harmless fun. But what if it's not? I don't know for sure, but I do know it's better to be safe than sorry. Isn't your eternal soul, or your child's eternal soul, worth more than one night of candy and costumes?
September 5th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi... I know I kind of really only come on here and lurk sometimes, I kind of wish I could post on here more often. I think I'm going to try!

Anyways... this is such a hard question to handle. I don't think you can dabble in the occult with like ouiji boards and the light as a feather thing. I'll admit as a middle schooler I did try both. It was really kind of freaky for me and I'll never do it again. I've even read some books where I felt that God was telling me not to read them and I resisted. I actually couldn't fall asleep and even got cold soars because I rebelled so much. I finally stopped reading the book and litterly threw it in the garbage. Needless to say I slept like a baby and my lips healed up in no time at all. As to Harry Potter... I personally don't see any problem with it and we well let the boys read it when we feel they are old enough and we can clearlly tell them that it's fiction. I actually like Harry Potter. And I know my in-laws don't agree with my husband and I on this and sometimes get the impression that they think we're not as Christian as they are (which actually kind of hurts, after all what's okay for some people isn't okay for others).
September 5th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Welcome! I'm so glad to see you over here from the 20 something mommies board! I was like, I know her! We're so glad to have you......and I'm so glad to see that I have a Christian sister on the 20 something board!

~Stacey

September 6th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! I was glad to see you here too!
September 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Super Mommy
Hi, I don't think I've ever posted on this area of the board but I have been lurking here now that I'm starting to think about parenting, and now that I have posted I will probably keep posting . My child is still in my womb but I've been giving a lot of thought as to how I want to raise my child as a Christian. I wasn't raised in a Christian home and so I don't have any model to follow. I have been observing other parents in my church and reading up on Christian parenting principles and reflecting on how I was raised.

I think it is so important as Christians that we don't shelter our children so much that they aren't able to develop their own genuine faith and personal relationship with Christ. I've known several people that were raised as Christians that have turned their backs on God because their overly strict upbringing. I want to shelter my child from evil but at the same time I think that the best way of doing that is by teaching him or her to call upon the Holy Spirit to give him/her discernment and show her/him what is sin. However, I should also mention that I will not allow Ouija boards in my house and will have an open communication with my child about them. None of us can completely shelter our kids no matter how hard we try. I can only hope that if I do send my child to a slumber party and someone sneaks in a Ouija board that (s)he will make the right choice. I won't ban any literature from my house. I grew up reading anything and everything I could get my hands on and I won't deprive my child of that either, but I will keep tabs on what they read and use it as an opportunity for discussion and spiritual growth. I love the Harry Potter series and I believe that there are valuable lessons that can be learned in that book about good and evil. I also think that Halloween could be viewed as a satanic holiday, but then again so could Christmas with all of the pagan symbols that we have adopted to celebrate it. I think it goes back to the spirit of it. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I celebrate it as a time to put on silly costumes. In my community it is a great time to get to know your neighbors and the other kids in the neighborhood and open your home to them. If we give in to satan we are giving him power.
September 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't like any of that kind of stuff...I don't even like watching movies with demonic stuff in it. I don't like the Harry Potter books, I think it opens a door for children that shouldn't be opened.

I was VERY sheltered as a child, and in one way I wish I hadn't been so much, but on the other hand I am VERY thankful!

I did the "light as a feather" thing when I was a kid, but I didn't know it was witchcraft until I was older. And my own grandmother tried the Oijia board with me on her kitchen table....she did like a homade thing, not the actual board. I would be ticked if my parents tried that with my kids.

My motto:

"It's easier to avoid than to resist"

So I'm going to avoid all that weird stuff. Oijia boards/Voodoo dolls/saonces (sp?)

The devil only needs a piece of you, and soon you'll be sucked right in there.

<div align="center"></div>
September 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Very well said Dev.

I don't think dabbling around with these things is harmless. They had a Ouiji board once when I was 13 or 14, and I thought it was a joke, and didn't believe in it at all. I didn't even know what it was when they first brought it out.
So far my kids have no idea about these things (my oldest is 9), and if it were to come up I would tell them to stay away.

As far as Harry Potter goes, I once talked to a self proclaimed former witch, and she thought it was horrible, all the satanic rituals discribed.
To me it's all fiction and pretend (not being familiar with witches and the like), so I would be fine with my kids reading Harry Potter, to us it's just a story.

I got rid of the cartoon channels a few months back, far to many cartoons have witches and ghosts and kids that are into goth in it. (talking about dark spirits).

It's sad that all these people are searching for something and end up looking all the wrong places.
September 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea, me too. I think it's all about keeping tabs on your kids and teaching them right from wrong and hoping they choose right. Halloween is ok, being all scary about it isn't. I decorate with pumpkins and Owen went out as Elvis last year.
Harry Potter is fine, I loved sci. fi. as a kid. I saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind when I was little and loved it. I didn't for once think an alien was going to come down to earth.
I do keep him away from alot of TV though. There is some crazy stuff on there. I keep HGTV on and hope he grows up to knowing how to redesign my house! lol
<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search