Sermons

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2006, 02:36 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What were your sermons about today? Do you remember?

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 17th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
Today's sermon was a really good one and it also highlighted what we talked about in my sunday school class. Here's a highlight:

Overcoming Barriers & Finding Forgiveness

What makes you different? We have a tendency to make comparisons. Comparing ourselves to one another can be a very dangerous thing because it highlights our differences. The fact that we are different is not a bad thing, but it can cause barrieres.

Barriers stop progress, and separate us. We need to overcome barriers if we are going to really experience life. We need to be careful not to let social stigmas (race, class, etc.) enter our lives and create barriers that can keep us from having healthy, God honouring relationships.

We looked at Philemon - a sotry of barriers, love, acceptance, forgiveness and reconciliation. I must admit, I had never taken a second glance at this book until today. It is incredible how it deals with real life issues!! Philemon was a slave owner, and Onesimus was a slave who was indebted to him. But the whole letter is about how barriers like this can be overcome, as they were brothers in Christ.

Jesus removes barriers! Luke 4:16-21
Jesus brings freedom! John 8:36

Are there barriers in your life? With Christ, you can overcome them!

1. Rely on Christ (Philemon vs. 4-5): the starting point is faith in Jesus Christ.

2. React in love (v.9): strive to do everything on the basis of love.

3. Respect all people (v. 16-17): a Christian's status as a child of God transcends all other wordly distinctions.

4. Respond with forgiveness (v.14-18): true forgiveness allows treating others as we have been treated...Christ has forgiven and so we should forgive.

5. Reestablish the Relationship (v.17): Christ can transform even the most hopeless relationships to lasting friendships full of love.

Okay, I must admit...I take notes! Hope you were able to get something out of this, as I was!

September 17th, 2006, 04:45 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
unfortunely, I didn't attend a service today.
I had children's church this morning and just missed tonights service because of a soccer game

September 17th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the overview, Rusha.

Our sermon today was on prayer. My husband sang What If His People Prayed. The pastor's sermon was out of Daniel------he has been preaching through the entire book. He asked us repeatedly how much time we spend in prayer and what we spend our prayer time talking about with God. Do we just have a list for God, or do we spend time praising him and thanking him. He also pointed out that God doesn't have an obligation to hear (with an ear to respond) the prayers of those who aren't his children. He may or may not choose to respond. But, if we are sons/daughters of the king, we have the privilage of climbing up into the lap of out Abba (Daddy) and talking freely with him. We should take advantage of that privilage. After all, Jesus tore the veil so we could be in direct contact with our Heavenly Father. It was a really good message.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 17th, 2006, 10:34 PM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh our service today was so good.

It was out of Joshua 24.

Choose you this day whom ye will serve!

It was just so good. There weren't many points in the message...just kept going back to Choose This Day! Stop riding the fence, don't be luke warm. God wants us to be either hot or cold. If we're luke warm he will spew us out of His mouth. Make that decision today!

Also our Praise Team sang for the first time in church this morning, and it went well. Very Well! I was happy with how it turned out.

<div align="center"></div>
September 18th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
It is so nice to hear what the sermons were about. We should do this every week!!

September 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This would be good to do every week.
I worked in the toddler room so I didn't hear the sermon so I will down load it from the church website and listen to it then get back to you!
September 19th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our sermon was about God being our anchor and all that entails, and to not become drifters.
September 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM
My husband actually wrote a song about God being our anchor. Someone gave him the idea and he ran with it.

~Stacey

September 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I listened to the sermon online from Sunday. It was about honoring the lord in our daily lives. Don't go around saying you love him and then filling your day in ways he would disapprove of. Same goes for our spouses. Your actions speak louder than your words when you tell your spouse you love them, then do things that upset them or dishonor them.

That is what I took from it anyway but I am not very good at retelling things.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search