Movies

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What "kid" movies will you not let your child(ren) watch?

The biggie on my list is Shrek. I had no idea just how questionable the content was until I saw it in the theater. I assumed it was a kid movie... although I should've had a clue since Eddie Murphey was in it! Seriously... Pinocchio in a thong?!?! What kid needs to see that? There are a lot of puns and jokes that are clearly aimed at adults in both Shrek movies.

I know a lot of people are against Harry Potter. I am to a certain extent. When Ben's old enough to have witchcraft explained to him and old enough to see scary movies without sleeping with me for the next 2 weeks ( ), I'll consider letting him watch it.
November 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
Harry Potter is a huge no no for us, and Shrek as well is on that list. Anything that has to do with Pokemon or anything like that is not okay either. We really just stick to the Blue's Clues and some of the older Disney movies. He really likes Garfield, Finding Nemo, and Madagascar.

November 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM
Finding Nemo is by FAR Ben's favorite.
November 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Shrek is clearly not a children's show. I didn't even like it for me and didn't see the second one. Our daughter will not be watching Shrek. She won't be watching Harry Potter either. I think it's fine if adults want to read it, but IMO, it makes magic seem glorified and is not for my child. I don't know, maybe I'm not too strict, b/c I let my daughter watch Monster's Inc. and my step-sister is dead set against it. She thinks it will teach kids to be scared of monsters. I actually think it teaches them not to be scared of them.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

November 3rd, 2006, 08:30 AM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
I've watched Shrek many times, and I can't remember any "bad" parts in there. Maybe because the rest of the movie is cute, and I choose not to remember the bad parts. I guess I'll have to watch it again to see what you all are talking about.

I don't like Harry Potter either. We only have local channels, no cabel. I was flipping through channels last week, and much to my dismay, on one local channel they were playing Harry Potter. I was so disappointed cause then I only had 3 other channels to choose from. Harry Potter, there's something about it, as soon as it comes on the tv I get this eerie feeling.

I don't like watching ANYthing demonic or satanic. Creeps me out.

<div align="center"></div>
November 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Quote:
...Monster's Inc. ... She thinks it will teach kids to be scared of monsters. I actually think it teaches them not to be scared of them.[/b]
ROFL! We're actually watching that RIGHT NOW! I agree... I think it teaches them not to be afraid.
November 3rd, 2006, 08:28 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
Harry Potter is up there. We are a big Disney movie fan in my house

November 4th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
Quote:
I don't know, maybe I'm not too strict, b/c I let my daughter watch Monster's Inc. and my step-sister is dead set against it. She thinks it will teach kids to be scared of monsters. I actually think it teaches them not to be scared of them.[/b]

You know almost every kid's show has monsters in it....Curious George the other day had an episode on that dealt with monsters, Ayden was scared to take his nap. I taught him that if he sees any monsters that he can take authority that Jesus gave him and tell the monsters to be gone in Jesus' name. So on occasion I hear on the baby moniter him casting monsters out of his room. It is really cute but it has given him a sense of security knowing Christ is with him and that he can tell these to go away. We have not had an issue with monsters since....

November 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't like anything that may scare my son. Even Nemo has that scarry bratty little girl.

He loved the Cars movie. And he saw part of Shrek and liked it.
I thought both Shrek movies were a blast. Maybe I'm not conservative enough, but they made me laugh. Not a kids movie though.

Other than that, we don't really watch movies. I think he watched Barbie Fairytopia at church while I was in bible study and a veggie tales movie. He liked that. So many cartoons he likes, I try to turn off the tv as much as possible.
<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search