Needing advice.

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi fellow mommies!
Here is my story: I'm 29 weeks pregnant with our first baby. I was raised Lutheran, my DH was not brought up under any religious instruction. However, he will request the occasional prayer when he feels overwhelmed by something. I want our baby baptized but I am worried we won't be able to find any pastor to do it. We don't have a church we attend regularly. But, there is no question in my mind that this baby will be raised to believe in Jesus Christ and that he is her savior and I want her baptized. I can't say for sure whether we will ever be regular church-goers, I just don't get that much from church. I do still have the church I was raised in, I figured I would start there. Does anyone have any similar stories or experiences they would be willing to share? Or any advice on how to approach the situation?
Thanks!
November 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM
babydust's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to babydust
Hi,
That's a hard situation. Is there any way that you could find a different Church if you feel that you don't get anything out of it? I would ask you husband that you would like to start going and for your child to know about Jesus. Maybe he would be opened about it. I know my Sister in law started going to a different Church and her husband started going with her every once in awhile and now he is teaching a Wednesday night class for preschoolers and attends every Sunday. I hope things work out. I'll be praying.

November 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't believe a baby needs to be baptized. My ds has not been. Jesus will protect our babies, they are innocent.

Maybe you can look around with your husband to find a church you may enjoy together and get something out of. When we moved to a different state last year, we immediately found a wonderful church that I have gotten more out of than any other in the past. I hope you and your husband find one that suits you both. You will get so much out of it.

Many churches do baby dedications. You are dedicating the baby and are telling the church and the Lord that you promise to raise the baby in a christian enviornment and teach them to be a follower of Christ.
<div align="center"></div>
November 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We also don't baptize babies in our denomination. There is nothing to cleanse them from.....they are completely pure and innocent. I'm not really sure what denominations do baby baptisms. We also do dedications at our church.

I really hope you can find a good church that you and your husband will both really like. Don't be afraid to look around and "try out" some churches. You don't have to be committed to one just because you visit a few times.

BTW, I'm glad you posted here. Feel free to join right in. Welcome!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

November 10th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
we also do dedications, bc like dinamommy we believe that babies are pure and do not need to be cleasnsed. They are also not old enough to confess Christ for themselves.

November 11th, 2006, 07:52 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I have to agree with the others. We don't do baptisms or dedications either one. It's something a child makes the choice to do when he/she is old enough to understand what sin is and that it can be forgiven through the gift of Christ. Children are born pure, which is why Jesus said that we must become like little children... pure in heart.

Curious (o/t)... why do you say you get nothing from going to church? Is it because it's boring, because you don't fully agree with the teachings of your congregation, or what? I get spiritual growth, strength from other members, and the satisfaction of knowing that I'm strengthening others just by showing up. It's hard to attend with an 11 month old knowing my husband wants no part of it. The woman I sit next to attended with her two children alone since they were born (they're 5 and 8 now). Her husband was finally baptized a few weeks ago because of her example.
November 13th, 2006, 10:53 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommywannabe Send a message via MSN to mommywannabe Send a message via Yahoo to mommywannabe
We also don't baptize infants. We do however, do a baby dedication once a year for all children under 2 years old that have not been through the dedication. It's more for the parents I think, for them to promise to raise their children the way that Jesus wants us to.

I really hope you are able to find a church that you feel at home attending. My husband had never attended church on a regular basis, only a few times when he was young. And when I was young my family went through spurts of attending a church for a few months, stopping, finding a new church a year later, attending for a few months and so on and so forth. When we became engaged we both decided that we wanted to find a church that we could not only get married in but feel at home in. We visited several churches and finally found one that we fell in love with. We have attended for 2+ years now, we were married there and became members the day before we were married. (We lived together and could not be baptized until we were married however the pastor baptized us the night before our wedding since we were leaving the church and would not be together again until the wedding). My husband never thought he would EVER find a church where he felt comfortable and felt like he really understood what the pastor was saying. Now we attend a bible study class together on Tuesday nights and I attend a Women's group on Wednesday nights along with siging with the Praise Team every couple of months. I will pray that you are able to find a church that will be as good for you as ours is for us!

casey

November 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I'm with the others, we don't baptize infants. We do dedications as well.

I know this isn't probably what you want to her, but I suggest that you find a good church to go to. It is so important for your baby girl to grow up going to church, or at the very least Sunday school so she can learn about God, just as you want her to. Maybe if you don't like the lutheran church, the church you were brought up in, you can try out another church, to see if you like it.

Thanks for posting, feel free to jump in at any time!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search