IUD

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hello all,
I am a Christian and I have a moral dilema...well for me anyhow. I recently gave birth to a Baby girl and I think that our family is complete, but we don't want to do anything permanent.
The Mirena IUD sounds great....but I realized that it doesn't actually supress ovulation but rather it makes it hard for sperm to enter your uterus and for a fertilized egg to implant...so technically you still concieve the embyro just does not continue. For someone who believes life begins at conception, this method of BC would not be great....am I right?
What are some other bible believeing, practicing Christians thoughts?
Thanks,
Marcy
November 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't choose to get an IUD either. They are VERY popular around where I live. I think they are dangerous (higher risk of an ectopic pregnancy) and I also don't like the idea that a fertilized egg could be prevented from implanted. I am 100% pro-life, though. Maybe not everyone here thinks like I do. When we are trying to prevent pregnancy we use spermicidal foam. We really should be using condoms as well, but it wouldn't be such a big deal if we got pregnant when we weren't trying to because we do want more children. This moral reason was why I chose not to take birth control anymore either (the pill). I did some research on it and was shocked to find out that the exact same thing can happen with the pill as the IUD. There is a back-up plan of sorts that can prevent a fertilized egg from implanting. Now I don't use anything hormonal. When my husband and I are through having kids, he will have a vascectomy, so I don't have that much advice for you. I just wanted to share what I have learned. I know that Momtojacobaleisha is one of the co-hosts on the natural family planning board. Maybe she would have some more info for you. BTW, I wanted to say good for you for even asking this question. I think that too many Christian women don't even know about this.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

November 10th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
I agree that as Christians we have to be very careful with certain forms bc life begins at conception. My husband and I have actually stopped using any form of birth control, condom or whatever bc the Word is specific that God knows each of us before our mother's wombs, He knew us before creation. So if God has a baby set out for us we are going to have one, if not then we won't. We have been doing this for going on 2 years and it took almost a year before we got pregnant with our last one.....God is bigger than birth control, and I hate condoms, and I will not use anything hormonal either, why not enjoy myself and just accept that God's will is for the best for me. He gives us nothing that we cannot handle, that is including children.....but that is my take on it...

I also commend you on asking this question. I think that another woman will read your post and understand the workings of some of the BC out there for the first time.

November 11th, 2006, 06:38 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree the an IUD would not be a good choice, it basically uses "Chemical Abortion" as birth control. IF you beleive that life begins at conception, than that means life begins BEFORE implantation. Have you tried Natural Family Planning with the barrier method?
As far as birth control, I know that is a personal journey for everyone. Being that we have a disable daughter who is only alive because of medical technology that God has given us, I don't believe that God hasn't given us the ability to decide how many children we should have. My point being, I can get pregnant just looking at dh too long, lol, yet, my body will not keep a pregnancy. I was only able to carry my son to a healthy term becasue I had to be on complete bedrest for 6 months; someone ELSE had to thelp take care of my children/family! After my son was born, we knew that we had to do something. Wouldn't getting pregnanty knowing that my body would be killing all our future babies be just as horrible? I respect everyone who believes they will keep having babies as long as God keeps giving them to you- that was my original plan. I don't, however think it's right to make families like us feel badly because we had to choose to stop having children permanently (I don't think you did Ayden'sMomma, I'm just putting this in here because often that's where this conversation goes).

</div>
November 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks Ladies, you have kind of confirmed to me what I already felt before. I do believe that life begins at conception. Therefore an IUD would interfere with that. (and some BCP)
I have done charting and barrier in the past, and it did work for us. It is just that I am Breastfeeding currently and I don't know when the old hag is going to return. I guess to because I am pretty sure we are done with having kids (we have 4) I don't want to be bothered temping etc. Just incase I get more baby fever we don't want to do anything permanant...so I guess it is back to the barrier method until then.
Children truelyare a blessing from the Lord.... (somedays this is my mantra that I reapeat over and over again when stressed
All the best to all!!
November 14th, 2006, 10:31 AM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I also commend you on asking this question. I think that another woman will read your post and understand the workings of some of the BC out there for the first time.[/b]
That would be me.

I hope you all don't mind me posting here. I lurk here from time to time and couldn't help but jump in on this topic. I am very much like you ladies in the fact that I'm 100% pro life and hate the idea of stopping life at any stage. I used the pill when I was first married, but after I stopped and was doing research on birth control I was SHOCKED at what could happen while on the pill, the patch, and basically anything hormonal. But that left me wondering what I should use. Nearly everything out there is hormonal.

I was about to have the IUD put in because from what I understood it's more like a barrier then anything and I liked the idea of just preventing the sperm from getting to the egg, but I changed my mind right before the Dr put it in because he said it still has some hormones in it (thought very little) and that made me uneasy. So for now we're just using condoms, though I wish I could find a barrier method that just blocked the sperm and didn't kill anything. Even spermicides make me uneasy.

Sooo, I was a little surprised by the comments here about the IUD. Would anyone mind indulging on that? What makes you all anti-IUD? I'm still thinking abuot using them after I have my next baby. I wish there was just an on/off switch on a man's penis for sperm! That would make life a lot easier!!!

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

November 14th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Mommy2twogirls
Quote:
I wish there was just an on/off switch on a man's penis for sperm! That would make life a lot easier!!![/b]

Yeah, that would be alot easier!!
November 14th, 2006, 02:27 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Sooo, I was a little surprised by the comments here about the IUD. Would anyone mind indulging on that? What makes you all anti-IUD? I'm still thinking abuot using them after I have my next baby. I wish there was just an on/off switch on a man's penis for sperm! That would make life a lot easier!!![/b]

Sure! The IUD does not prevent sperm from entering the uterus, it creates an "unstable environment" within the uterus so that and egg cannot implant, the egg can still get fertilized. That's why I am against it, for my beliefs. We used natural family planning/condoms. Then after my son was born, we were confident that it would be okay for dh to get a vasectomy, since it would be almost impossible for me to carry another baby to viability. I went into labor at 19 weeks with my son, and only got to term after complete bedrest (my baby before him was 2 months early and is now chornically ill and has cerebral palsy), you go into labor earlier and earlier when you have preterm labor you can't get a whole lot earlier than 19 weeks (which was a full month earlier than the previous preterm pregnancy).

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search