Bible Study ~ Life of Jesus

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2006, 07:19 AM
bravojuliet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to bravojuliet
Hey, I just noticed these ?s today. You might want to post something on the main board, as I forgot to check the sticky... I don't know if anyone else did.. I will try to answer these today, after I do lessons with me son! This is great I enjoyed reading the ?s and answers!

<div align="center"> </div>

December 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I've enjoyed both the questions and Stacey's answers!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

December 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw, thanks Dina! Now lets here everyone else's answers!!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

December 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
Sorry, I am so behind. I will post the ones for chapter 2 when others have answered these questions. I think I will post them at the very latest on Tuesday or Wednesday, so get your answers up girls!

1.What shows us that Joseph suspected Mary of having deceived him (vs.18-19)? He kind of wanted to get a divorce from her. I don't know about you, but I would seriously consider it if I thought Steve got someone else pregnant.

2.What do you think was most difficult for Joseph in that situation? People would probably be talking about him, thinking that he was the one to get her pregnant, and that would be hard. Also, it would have been difficult because Jesus was kind of his first born...you know? And to know that the first born wasn't from him would have been kind of hard, I would think.

3. Do you think Mary had talked to Joseph about the visitation of an angel? If not, why not? If yes, then why didn't Joseph believe her? There is no biblical reference for her telling him, I don't think. But I think that she would have told him because if it were me, I would tell Steve. He's my best friend, I pretty much tell him everything. I think Joseph wouldn't believe her because that is HUGE news, and of course, this had never happened to anyone else before in history!

4. Why didn't Joseph want to revenge the injustice and sue Mary and her family although, according to the law, he had the right to do it? Becuase he loved Mary and didn't want her to be ridiculed. I think of the book the Scarlet Letter - for those of you who haven't seen it, it is about a woman who is forced to wear a bright red A for adultress because she slept with a man who she wasn't married to and had a baby. She was tried and tested to tell who the father was but she wouldnt because she loved him and didn't want to shame him. In the end, it turns out it was the priest, and he loved her just as much. I don't think Jospeh wanted something like this to happen to Mary.

5. How do you think Joseph felt towards Mary in the situation described in verses 18-19? Upset, I would say... and he probably didn't fully understand the situation, or why God chose Mary to be the one to be the "mother" of Jesus. He might have been torn between divorcing her in anger or doing it quietely in love.

6. Why didn't God send an angel to Joseph the very same day that he sent one to Mary (vs.20)? (Why should Joseph's love have been tested in such a hard way?) I think that we all have to be tested in our lives, and this one the test for Joseph. The angel visited him later, and I think it was confirmation for him.

7. If you think long and hard about it, a virgin birth would mean that the sperm cell came to Mary's womb from outside this universe. On what grounds could Joseph believe in virgin birth, although no such thing had ever happened in world history before (or after!) (vs.20-23)? I have no idea. I mean, he must have believed that it was possible with God...but I can't even get my mind around it today!

8. Why do you think the virgin birth is for many (theologians too) the most difficult doctrine to believe? Because it has never happened ever again. Because it seems impossible. But God has done many impossible things, that we would think are impossible. He is so amazing, why should we question it? But I can see how some would doubt.

9. How does the belief in the virgin birth and our concept of God belong together? Umm, I think I just answered that!

10. Why wouldn't it have been possible for Jesus to save his people from their sins if he had been the son of Joseph and Mary? It was different than any other birth because it was a different kind of conception. It was done by the powerful hand of God, and Jesus' life and ministry eluded that.

11. Recall a sin that your conscience is accusing you for committing. Then read verse 21 again, putting your own name in the place of words "his people". Do you believe this verse is true when read in this way? Definately ~ and how amazing that this can be true for us! Thank you LORD!

12. How could Joseph keep himself from touching his beloved Mary even when they were living under the same roof (vs.25)? I have no idea. I mean, it would be so hard for me to do that. I think he just had faith and respect for her and for God so he knew that he would be blessed when he finally could consumate his marriage.

13. Probably everybody thought that the child Mary was bearing was Joseph's. Do you think Joseph tried to free himself from false accusations in front of his and Mary's relatives? I don't think so. It says that he remained quiet about it and didn't want her to be a public spectacle. I would have thought that Mary would have told her family members as well about this situation, so they would know about it anyways.

14. Why did God choose none other than Joseph to be a foster father for his Son? He chose Mary because she was a godly woman. Joseph was the one that He created to be the husband to Mary, and because of this, he was the one for Jesus to be born into the family. God knew that he would be the perfect father for Jesus while he was on earth.

December 11th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Why do you think the geneology of Jesus is included in Matthew's gospel? To show fulfillment of the prophecy in the Old Testament that said the Messiah would be born of the house of David and be heir to David's throne
Let's take a look at Joseph, who was essentially a "foster" father for Jesus while he was growing up. A bit of background to verses 26-38: According to Mosaic Law, engagement was as binding as marriage, and unfaithfulness during engagement was also punished by stoning. Sexual relations were not supposed to start before marriage (Deut.22).

1.What shows us that Joseph suspected Mary of having deceived him (vs.18-19)? Well, it says she was found with child and he was going to put her away privately so as not to make her an example

2.What do you think was most difficult for Joseph in that situation? Just knowing thinking that this women he was supposed to marry had been with another man, also trying to make a decision what to do. He had other options such as having her killed, or making her an example.
3. Do you think Mary had talked to Joseph about the visitation of an angel? If not, why not? If yes, then why didn't Joseph believe her? I don't think she had, based on his reaction. In fact, according to Jewish custom, there is a good chance he heard this news through the grapevine, so to speak. According to the custom of Jewish bethrothal and marriage, they more than likely did not see each other during this time because after the betrothal, he would have went to his father's house to build on a room for her. When that was finished, then he would have went to receive her as his bride.

4. Why didn't Joseph want to revenge the injustice and sue Mary and her family although, according to the law, he had the right to do it? Well, the Bible says he was a just man

5. How do you think Joseph felt towards Mary in the situation described in verses 18-19? I'm sure, just as any man, he felt hurt and disappointed and betrayed.
6. Why didn't God send an angel to Joseph the very same day that he sent one to Mary (vs.20)? (Why should Joseph's love have been tested in such a hard way?) I think this was to prove his character, and also, I think it was important to show his reaction to prove that he and Mary had not known each other physically.
7. If you think long and hard about it, a virgin birth would mean that the sperm cell came to Mary's womb from outside this universe. On what grounds could Joseph believe in virgin birth, although no such thing had ever happened in world history before (or after!) (vs.20-23)? Being Jewish, he would have known of the prophecies of the Messiah and he would have known that it was prophesied that He would be bown of a virgin, that along with the angel saying the baby was from the Holy Spirit probably would have made him a believer.
8. Why do you think the virgin birth is for many (theologians too) the most difficult doctrine to believe? Because it is the one and only time it has ever happened. Our human minds cannot understand how this could happen because we know how babies are conceived, and it is hard to wrap our minds around the fact that a baby could be born without the aid of a man. Also, many people mistake this for God having relations with Mary, which is hard to wrap your mind around. This is not true. It says the Holy Spirit came upon her and caused her to become pregnant. The Holy Spirit "came upon" many people, men and women alike, to do different works. This phrase does not mean He had relations with her as some believe.

9. How does the belief in the virgin birth and our concept of God belong together? This shows God's power and shows us that He can do anything and He does fulfill his prophecies.

10. Why wouldn't it have been possible for Jesus to save his people from their sins if he had been the son of Joseph and Mary? Because then He would not have been God, and He would not have been sinless.

11. Recall a sin that your conscience is accusing you for committing. Then read verse 21 again, putting your own name in the place of words "his people". Do you believe this verse is true when read in this way? Absolutely!

12. How could Joseph keep himself from touching his beloved Mary even when they were living under the same roof (vs.25)? Well, they probably weren't living under the same roof. At the time of Jesus' birth, they were still just betrothed. Therefore, according to Jewish custom, Joseph was still preparing a place for Mary at his father's house, and she was still living at home. However, she would have gone to his hometown to be taxed because she was considered part of his family because being betrothed, they had already signed a marriage contract.

13. Probably everybody thought that the child Mary was bearing was Joseph's. Do you think Joseph tried to free himself from false accusations in front of his and Mary's relatives? I suppose there is a chance they tried to tell people. There is also the chance that they let people talk and whisper and think what they wanted. This is one of those questions that we won't know until we get to Heaven.
14. Why did God choose none other than Joseph to be a foster father for his Son? Because it was only through Joseph that Jesus could have inherited the throne of David, which, by the way, He is still the only true heir to.

December 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Shaustin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1.What shows us that Joseph suspected Mary of having deceived him (vs.18-19)? The fact that Joseph had it in his mind to divorce her shows us that he suspected Mary of having deceived him. This is very similar todayómany people who are deceived by loved ones often think of divorce.

2.What do you think was most difficult for Joseph in that situation? I think it was most difficult to think that Mary had deceived him, he most likely felt very betrayed.

3. Do you think Mary had talked to Joseph about the visitation of an angel? If not, why not? If yes, then why didn't Joseph believe her? My guess is that she hadnít talked with him about the visitation. If she had, maybe he wouldnít have thought about divorcing her. She probably didnít say anything to Joseph about it because like many of us today we wouldnít believe what she was saying.

4. Why didn't Joseph want to revenge the injustice and sue Mary and her family although, according to the law, he had the right to do it? It states that Joseph was a righteous man and that he didnít want to expose Mary to public disgrace. Unfortunately, there arenít more people around like Joseph these days.

5. How do you think Joseph felt towards Mary in the situation described in verses 18-19? Again, I think he felt betrayed. I think if I were in that situation I would wonder what I had gotten myself into. Itís obvious he was somewhat angry because he had it in mind to divorce her, however, he also obviously loved and respected her because he planned to do it quietly as to not expose her to public disgrace.

6. Why didn't God send an angel to Joseph the very same day that he sent one to Mary (vs.20)? (Why should Joseph's love have been tested in such a hard way?) I think by testing Joseph in this way, his character and righteousness was tested. I am sure God knew that he would make the best decisions regarding the situation, and this is why he was chosen to be married to Mary.

7. If you think long and hard about it, a virgin birth would mean that the sperm cell came to Mary's womb from outside this universe. On what grounds could Joseph believe in virgin birth, although no such thing had ever happened in world history before (or after!) (vs.20-23)? Joseph really could only believe based on faith and what had been stated in the Old Testament. Other than those two things alone, there really were no other reasons to believe since it had never happened before.

8. Why do you think the virgin birth is for many (theologians too) the most difficult doctrine to believe? Simply because it HAD NEVER happened and still HAS NEVER happened since. Because we are human, and so much of what we believe about God and the miracles he performs is based on faith, it is difficult for many to believe something like that could ever actually happen.

9. How does the belief in the virgin birth and our concept of God belong together? Both the belief in the virgin birth and our concept of God are based on faith. Without faith that the virgin birth happened and that God is real, we have nothing but darkness in our future. But it is with faith that we believe in God and the virgin birth and this gives us hope for eternal life.

10. Why wouldn't it have been possible for Jesus to save his people from their sins if he had been the son of Joseph and Mary? Because it was stated that Jesus would be born of a virgin, this is what was prophesized in the OT. Had Jesus been the son of Joseph and Mary, none of this would have been true. (Not sure if that made sense!!)

11. Recall a sin that your conscience is accusing you for committing. Then read verse 21 again, putting your own name in the place of words "his people". Do you believe this verse is true when read in this way? I do believe this to be true!! Praise God!! What an amazing gift!

12. How could Joseph keep himself from touching his beloved Mary even when they were living under the same roof (vs.25)? I think he was able to keep himself from touching her because he was a man of God. I think that when you know the will of the Lord, and you believe it to be true, you do whatever you have to in order to fulfill Godís wishes. I think it probably took some restraint, prayer, and trust In the Lord that all would be just as it should be.

13. Probably everybody thought that the child Mary was bearing was Joseph's. Do you think Joseph tried to free himself from false accusations in front of his and Mary's relatives? My guess is that people were aware of the situation and that Joseph left it at that. If people were accusing him of being the father of Maryís child, he probably stated the facts and let them believe as they wished.

14. Why did God choose none other than Joseph to be a foster father for his Son? My guess is that God knew that Joseph had a strong faith in God, and that he could handle the situation. There are not many men that could handle the exact same situation just as Joseph did, and Iím sure God was fully aware of that!

December 12th, 2006, 07:09 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
1.What shows us that Joseph suspected Mary of having deceived him (vs.18-19)? He wanted to hide her.

2.What do you think was most difficult for Joseph in that situation? I think believing in the situation and trying to protect Mary from the people

3. Do you think Mary had talked to Joseph about the visitation of an angel? If not, why not? If yes, then why didn't Joseph believe her? I think she did talk to him about. I think he thought she was crazy and maybe just telling a story

4. Why didn't Joseph want to revenge the injustice and sue Mary and her family although, according to the law, he had the right to do it? He loved her and was committed to her

5. How do you think Joseph felt towards Mary in the situation described in verses 18-19? He was mad and angry

6. Why didn't God send an angel to Joseph the very same day that he sent one to Mary (vs.20)? (Why should Joseph's love have been tested in such a hard way?) God was testing Joseph

7. If you think long and hard about it, a virgin birth would mean that the sperm cell came to Mary's womb from outside this universe. On what grounds could Joseph believe in virgin birth, although no such thing had ever happened in world history before (or after!) (vs.20-23)? An angel appeared and told him about Jesus and saving the world.

8. Why do you think the virgin birth is for many (theologians too) the most difficult doctrine to believe? they don't have faith and don't really believe the bible is true

9. How does the belief in the virgin birth and our concept of God belong together? God is all powerful and all knowing. He can do all. We might not understand everything but someday it won't matter when we are in heaven!

10. Why wouldn't it have been possible for Jesus to save his people from their sins if he had been the son of Joseph and Mary? He would not of been perfect.

11. Recall a sin that your conscience is accusing you for committing. Then read verse 21 again, putting your own name in the place of words "his people". Do you believe this verse is true when read in this way?yes it is

12. How could Joseph keep himself from touching his beloved Mary even when they were living under the same roof (vs.25)?God gave him the strength to not be tempted

13. Probably everybody thought that the child Mary was bearing was Joseph's. Do you think Joseph tried to free himself from false accusations in front of his and Mary's relatives? I am not sure about that because he was probably trying to protect Mary too.

14. Why did God choose none other than Joseph to be a foster father for his Son? He knew that Joseph would believe the angel and that Joseph had faith

December 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Many Jews had stayed in Persia (formerly Babylon) even after the exile had ended 500 years earlier. The wise men were both astrologers and astronomers and had a different religion from that of the Jews. The distance between Persia and Palestine was 1000-1500 km. Here are the new questions for chapter 2!

1. How long do you expect the wise men's journey would have taken, if a camel walks 30 km a day?

2. What do you think the bosses, wives and neighbors of these men thought about this journey?

3. Why did the wise men want to worship the king of the Jews, instead of their own king?

4. Why did the wise men want to give valuable presents to the new Jewish king (vs.11)?

5. The Jews hadn't had a king for about 600 years. Herod was only a vassal of the Romans. Why were Herod and all Jerusalem disturbed when they heard about the birth of a new king (vs.3)?

6.What did Herod in fact believe in verses 4,16? (What did he believe concerning his own power - the Bible - the Messiah - God's plan?)

7.From which point to which point did the star lead the wise men - look at verses 2 and 9?

8.Why didn't God let the star lead the wise men directly to Bethlehem - why the detour through Jerusalem? (Why was it important for the wise men to come to contact with God's written word?)

9.What kind of "star" has God sent into your life to lead you to Jesus?

10. Babylonians built the tower of Babel, stole the Arc of the Covenant and destroyed the Temple. The wise men were their descendants. Why did God lead his enemies to be the first to worship his newborn Son as a king?

11. When hearing rumors about the new king being born in Bethlehem, only 12 km away, why didn't any of the people in Jerusalem go to worship him there?

12. In what ways was the new king different from what the men had perhaps imagined beforehand?

13. What in the faith of the wise men an example to us?

14. The wise men gave precious gifts to baby Jesus. What did they get from him in return?

15.Why were these presents badly needed in Joseph's family (vs.13)?

16.What should you give to Jesus as a birthday present this year?

17. How do you think the life of these wise men was back in Persia, in the midst of idol worship and pagan religions?

It is importnat to remember that Jesus was not treated as a king many times during his life. The wise men worshipped him as such in the beginning of his life, and the Roman governor Pilate wrote that title on his cross. Jesus was a king who welcomed even his enemies to come and worship him.

December 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM
1. How long do you expect the wise men's journey would have taken, if a camel walks 30 km a day? I have no idea, but it was a long time---years. I am NOT good at story problems!!

2. What do you think the bosses, wives and neighbors of these men thought about this journey? They probably either thought they were crazy or very eccentric! Maybe they thought they were too devoted to their work and had gone off the deep end.

3. Why did the wise men want to worship the king of the Jews, instead of their own king? Because they new that the star was VERY unusual and must mean that this child-king was very special, even more special than their own king. Their king was appointed by man, but this king was appointed by God.

4. Why did the wise men want to give valuable presents to the new Jewish king (vs.11)? All I can think of is that he deserved them. They wanted to show their respect in an extravagent way for the King of the Jews.

5. The Jews hadn't had a king for about 600 years. Herod was only a vassal of the Romans. Why were Herod and all Jerusalem disturbed when they heard about the birth of a new king (vs.3)? Because a new king would be a threat to the current king. A king in power isn't going to be thrilled about a new king that might threaten his seat of power.

6.What did Herod in fact believe in verses 4,16? (What did he believe concerning his own power - the Bible - the Messiah - God's plan?) He thought he could just override the plan of God by his own brute force. He thought he would take care of this new king by just killing all the male children who were two years old and younger. Little did he know that God would not let his plan be destroyed.

7.From which point to which point did the star lead the wise men - look at verses 2 and 9? It lead them from where they were, directly to Jesus. Wow! That's pretty cool. That's exactly what God does with us!

8.Why didn't God let the star lead the wise men directly to Bethlehem - why the detour through Jerusalem? (Why was it important for the wise men to come to contact with God's written word?) So that they would know the prophecies of Jesus that had already been written and know they they were fulfilled when they found Jesus.

9.What kind of "star" has God sent into your life to lead you to Jesus? I have had plenty of stars--my parents, sunday school teachers, pastors.

10. Babylonians built the tower of Babel, stole the Arc of the Covenant and destroyed the Temple. The wise men were their descendants. Why did God lead his enemies to be the first to worship his newborn Son as a king? Maybe to show that Jesus was for everyone, not just the Jews. Everyone is free to come worship Him and He will receive all who come to Him. He came to redeem the whole world. I don't know....that was just my first thought.

11. When hearing rumors about the new king being born in Bethlehem, only 12 km away, why didn't any of the people in Jerusalem go to worship him there? Because Jesus was not received of His own. They rejected Him as the messiah.

12. In what ways was the new king different from what the men had perhaps imagined beforehand? I'm sure they expected him to come from a wealthy family and to make LOTS of noise on His entrance into the world. He was not what they expected.

13. What in the faith of the wise men an example to us? They saw the sign that God gave them and immediately went to Jesus. We should be the same way. When He calls us, we should be quick to respond.

14. The wise men gave precious gifts to baby Jesus. What did they get from him in return? They got to have a special place in the story of Jesus and in history. Their gifts were very symbolic of what Jesus's life was going to be like. We can learn from them even today.

15.Why were these presents badly needed in Joseph's family (vs.13)? They were a poor family and right after the wisemen came, they had to fund a trip to Egypt. These gifts probably did that for them. In part, they were used to save Jesus's life.

16.What should you give to Jesus as a birthday present this year? I would have to say more faithfulness to be in His word every single day. There is no excuse for me not to be and I really love to learn. This should be a first priority for me. Really, I guess I just need to remember to put Jesus first.

17. How do you think the life of these wise men was back in Persia, in the midst of idol worship and pagan religions? I'm not sure that I understand the question correctly, but after they went back to that after seeing the very Son of God, I bet all that was very disappointing for them. They had been in the presence of God in the flesh and here were all these people around them worshiping gods of wood and stone.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

December 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I know I am behind, but I am planning on posting questions to the next chapter tomorrow morning/afternoon. Try your best to have your answers in before then! I have to get mine up too!!

January 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Posting for the next chapter to keep things moving...

1. What was the difference between the childhood and young age of these two men?

2.When do you think John understood that Jesus was the Son of God?

3.Why didn't fame/popularity spoil John?

4.What was the difference between Jesus and other people who wanted to be baptized?

5.Why didn't John want to baptize Jesus?

6.Why did Jesus want to be baptized although John's baptism was meant only for sinners?

7.What do the words of Jesus in verse 15 mean?

8.Read John 19:30. How did Jesus fulfill all righteousness?

9.What does this passage tell us about the relationship between Jesus and God?

10. What does this passage teach us about the Trinity?

11.The Holy Spirit had been in Jesus all the time. Why did he appear in visible form only when Jesus was baptized?

12.Why did God want to proclaim to all people the things he said in verse 17?

13.Recall what has happened to you during the last month. Do you think God could say about you the same thing as he said about Jesus in verse 17?

14.John baptized people only after they had confessed their sins - that is why his baptism is called the baptism of repentance. What is the difference between Christian baptism and John's baptism? (See also Acts 2:38).

15. During Christian baptism God says to the one baptized the same words as he said to his Son (vs.17). On what grounds can he say this to a sinner?

16. Read Genesis 22, where we learn that in obedience Abraham was prepared to offer his son to God. The words in verse 17 are vaguely reminiscent of the words God said to Abraham in Gen.22:2. What are the common points between Abraham and God sacrificing their sons?

January 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Chapter 3:

1. What was the difference between the childhood and young age of these two men? John lived out in the wilderness and lived like a mountain man---seems like he had a rough exterior and was forceful in his prophecying. He prepared the people for Jesus. Jesus, on the other had didn't start his ministry until he was older.

2.When do you think John understood that Jesus was the Son of God? Probably when he was inside his mother's womb and the Bible says he lept for joy! That's pretty amazing, I think!

3.Why didn't fame/popularity spoil John? He lived out on his own and lived off the land---wouldn't seem like you would have much opportunity to get big-headed if you were just trying to survive.

4.What was the difference between Jesus and other people who wanted to be baptized? Jesus lived a perfect life and didn't need the cleansing of baptism. He was not a sinner. He was baptized as an example to the rest of us and to fulfill prophecy.

5.Why didn't John want to baptize Jesus? Because he knew that Jesus was perfect---he thought that Jesus should be the one baptizing him!!

6.Why did Jesus want to be baptized although John's baptism was meant only for sinners? As an example of what we are to do and to fulfill prophecy.

7.What do the words of Jesus in verse 15 mean? He had to fulfill all that was written about him in scripture prior to His birth.

8.Read John 19:30. How did Jesus fulfill all righteousness? He ultimately died for our sins on the cross. He paid the debt for our sins, so that we could be with him in Heaven.

9.What does this passage tell us about the relationship between Jesus and God? It was/is VERY close. God says that he is well pleased with Jesus, His son.

10. What does this passage teach us about the Trinity? I don't know for sure---you may have to help me with this, Jerusha. All I can see is that all three personages of the trinity are present in this passage.

11.The Holy Spirit had been in Jesus all the time. Why did he appear in visible form only when Jesus was baptized? I have no idea------HELP!

12.Why did God want to proclaim to all people the things he said in verse 17? So that those witness who were there (and those of us reading it now) could know for certain that this was the Messiah that had been prophesyed about.

13.Recall what has happened to you during the last month. Do you think God could say about you the same thing as he said about Jesus in verse 17? I'm sure I have failed, as I often do, but I am still His child, and He still loves me. I try to do His will the best I can, but I mess up. I know that through Him, I can do better.

14.John baptized people only after they had confessed their sins - that is why his baptism is called the baptism of repentance. What is the difference between Christian baptism and John's baptism? (See also Acts 2:38). Well, we are now baptized in the name of Jesus Christ and can receive the Holy Spirit.

15. During Christian baptism God says to the one baptized the same words as he said to his Son (vs.17). On what grounds can he say this to a sinner? We are adopted sons and daughters of God as soon as we accept Him as our savior. He is pleased with us because now our sins are covered by the blood of Jesus.

16. Read Genesis 22, where we learn that in obedience Abraham was prepared to offer his son to God. The words in verse 17 are vaguely reminiscent of the words God said to Abraham in Gen.22:2. What are the common points between Abraham and God sacrificing their sons? They were their only sons whom they loved dearly. They were both prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice.

~Stacey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search