Bible Study ~ Life of Jesus

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2006, 08:31 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
Hi Ladies!

Thanks so much for voting in the poll. It looks like the Life of Jesus is the winner for the beginning of this study. I was thinking that we could start by reading the first chapter of each gospel by Monday (Matthew 1, Mark 1, Luke 1, and John 1 - and chat about their similarities and differences, until we deicide what direction we want the study to take, or whether or not we would like to focus on just one gospel. Does this sound okay?

December 2nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
bravojuliet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to bravojuliet
This sounds great! I am so excited!! Let me know when we are starting so I can be sure I read everything!

<div align="center"> </div>

December 2nd, 2006, 10:46 AM
I had thought about starting on Monday, but that only gives us a day and a half to read all four chapters...is that too much? DO you want to start Wednesday instead??

December 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
bravojuliet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to bravojuliet
Wednesday would be better for me, but I can go with the flow. Whatever works for everyone!

<div align="center"> </div>

December 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't care either. Wednesday sounds great to me too.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

December 2nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
tabbymichelle's Avatar GO BUCKEYES!!! O-H-I-O!
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
I can't wait to start!

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
1 cycle of Clomid 100mg resulting in miscarriage
Dx with Adenomyosis on 1/28/10
Clomid 150mg 4/30(day 3) - 5/4(day 5) Ultrasound on May 10th.
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!
6/27 - Round 3 Clomid 150mg started.
7/25 - AF Showed, starting final round of Clomid 150mg on CD3
8/21- AF Showed, In the process of finding a new RE
*Waiting to see our new RE

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

December 2nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I think we should start on Wednesday. I will have a chance to read it by then

December 2nd, 2006, 08:19 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Wednesday sounds good to me, too.
December 3rd, 2006, 12:42 AM
mrsdutch's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsdutch
great! Im in!

Angels Bright from Starry height, change my mind and being with light!

December 3rd, 2006, 10:45 AM
skinnermom's Avatar Veteran
Wednesday sounds good to me....I will try my best to participate, but the time difference may throw me off a little bit.
Andrew - 6 years old
Matthew - 4 years old
December 3rd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Wed it is!! And don't worry about the time, there is no set time...as far as I know, it is just going to be a discussion, like a regular post.

December 4th, 2006, 07:58 AM
babydust's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to babydust
Can't wait to start. It should be really good.

December 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, can I join in too ??

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

December 4th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Of course!! We would love to have you!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

December 5th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Shaustin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Alright ladies--I'm going to go and try to read these before I go to bed tonight, but I may have some catch up to do! But I'm definitely in!

December 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM
We're glad to have you. I have to read the bulk of it still tonight and tomorrow morning.

~Stacey

December 6th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Okay!

Now that we have read the first chapters of all four gospels, let's choose which one we would like to study! Here is a little chart I pulled off a site somewhere that might help a bit - I am looking at the FIRST chart on the page only. Note that it comes from a Catholic resource site, but it does outline things very well.

Gospel Comparisons Chart

And here are some other resources to look through as well, coming from the university my hubby went to:

The Gospel of Matthew

The Gospel of Mark

The Gospel of Luke

The Gospel of John

I will try and create a poll here so we can vote on which gospel we would like to study the most. Please express your comments or concerns regarding the study, if you have any!

December 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM
OKay, so sorry for the delay ladies. It looks like we have had a three way tie to study Matthew, Luke & John. I think what we will do is start out with Matthew, and try and study all three gospels...and if things get boring or stale, we can switch directions. So, we've all read Matthew chapter 1, let's discuss it!

Why do you think the geneology of Jesus is included in Matthew's gospel?

Let's take a look at Joseph, who was essentially a "foster" father for Jesus while he was growing up. A bit of background to verses 26-38: According to Mosaic Law, engagement was as binding as marriage, and unfaithfulness during engagement was also punished by stoning. Sexual relations were not supposed to start before marriage (Deut.22).

1.What shows us that Joseph suspected Mary of having deceived him (vs.18-19)?

2.What do you think was most difficult for Joseph in that situation?

3. Do you think Mary had talked to Joseph about the visitation of an angel? If not, why not? If yes, then why didn't Joseph believe her?

4. Why didn't Joseph want to revenge the injustice and sue Mary and her family although, according to the law, he had the right to do it?

5. How do you think Joseph felt towards Mary in the situation described in verses 18-19?

6. Why didn't God send an angel to Joseph the very same day that he sent one to Mary (vs.20)? (Why should Joseph's love have been tested in such a hard way?)

7. If you think long and hard about it, a virgin birth would mean that the sperm cell came to Mary's womb from outside this universe. On what grounds could Joseph believe in virgin birth, although no such thing had ever happened in world history before (or after!) (vs.20-23)?

8. Why do you think the virgin birth is for many (theologians too) the most difficult doctrine to believe?

9. How does the belief in the virgin birth and our concept of God belong together?

10. Why wouldn't it have been possible for Jesus to save his people from their sins if he had been the son of Joseph and Mary?

11. Recall a sin that your conscience is accusing you for committing. Then read verse 21 again, putting your own name in the place of words "his people". Do you believe this verse is true when read in this way?

12. How could Joseph keep himself from touching his beloved Mary even when they were living under the same roof (vs.25)?

13. Probably everybody thought that the child Mary was bearing was Joseph's. Do you think Joseph tried to free himself from false accusations in front of his and Mary's relatives?

14. Why did God choose none other than Joseph to be a foster father for his Son?

December 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I think the geneologies of both Mary and Joseph are included in the Gospels to show the "pure" lineage of Christ. I ALSO think (because of all the seemingly pointless conversations with my agnostic husband ) that they were included so that scholars and historians would have an easier time proving the validity of the Bible as a reliable historical source.

I'll get to the other questions later... just wanted to throw that out.
December 8th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Why do you think the geneology of Jesus is recorded in Matthew? In order to show that the Old Testament prophecy had been fulfilled. He was suppose to come from the line of David. This shows that he did~thank you, Beth Moore!!

1.What shows us that Joseph suspected Mary of having deceived him (vs.18-19)? It says he wanted to privately "put her away". Being engaged to someone back then was pretty much like you were already legally married. He was going to quietly divorce her so that she wouldn't be disgraced.

2.What do you think was most difficult for Joseph in that situation? I think he really loved Mary and probably couldn't understand why she would betray him.

3. Do you think Mary had talked to Joseph about the visitation of an angel? If not, why not? If yes, then why didn't Joseph believe her? I have no idea if she told him or not, but he knew that she was pregnant somehow. She probably did tell him. Maybe he was mad and that's why he didn't believe her. I really don't know, though.

4. Why didn't Joseph want to revenge the injustice and sue Mary and her family although, according to the law, he had the right to do it? Because it says in V.19 that he was a "just man and not willing to make her a publick example..." Once again, it was probably because of his love for her too.

5. How do you think Joseph felt towards Mary in the situation described in verses 18-19? I'm sure he was pretty distraught, but he still didn't wish her any harm. Who wouldn't be hurt if they thought they were being cheated on?

6. Why didn't God send an angel to Joseph the very same day that he sent one to Mary (vs.20)? (Why should Joseph's love have been tested in such a hard way?) He was going to have to father the very Son of God. There would be MANY challenges that go along with this. I can see why God did it the way he did. If anything, his love for Mary probably grew out of this experience too. Once the angel did come to him, he knew how very trustworthy Mary was.

7. If you think long and hard about it, a virgin birth would mean that the sperm cell came to Mary's womb from outside this universe. On what grounds could Joseph believe in virgin birth, although no such thing had ever happened in world history before (or after!) (vs.20-23)? The Old Testament scriptures talked of this very thing happening. God said it, so He can sure do it!

8. Why do you think the virgin birth is for many (theologians too) the most difficult doctrine to believe? Maybe because of science and how technically minded people are today. This was the greatest miracle to ever happen.

9. How does the belief in the virgin birth and our concept of God belong together? God was true to his Word and the virgin birth really happened. Jesus was the only perfect human being to ever walk this Earth. He was conceived differently from anyone else.

10. Why wouldn't it have been possible for Jesus to save his people from their sins if he had been the son of Joseph and Mary? Because He wouldn't have been fully God if that had happened. Only God has the power and authority to forgive sin against himself. Jesus forgave sin that was toward God while here on the Earth. the virgin birth is absolutely necessary to the gospel.

11. Recall a sin that your conscience is accusing you for committing. Then read verse 21 again, putting your own name in the place of words "his people". Do you believe this verse is true when read in this way? Absolutely!~and praise God for it!

12. How could Joseph keep himself from touching his beloved Mary even when they were living under the same roof (vs.25)? Probably by the power of God. That is how we are enabled to do anything. I'm sure it was hard for him though. Imagine finally being able to be married to the one you love and not being able to consummate the marriage.

13. Probably everybody thought that the child Mary was bearing was Joseph's. Do you think Joseph tried to free himself from false accusations in front of his and Mary's relatives? I don't know, but maybe not. It might have been better for them to think that the sin was with Joseph than with anyone else.

14. Why did God choose none other than Joseph to be a foster father for his Son? He was a Godly man and seems like he was a very kind and compassionate person, full of love. What better person to be there for Jesus while he was growing up?

Thank you for spending all the time coming up with the questions, Jerusha. They were very good ones and good for my study!

~Stacey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search