when do u usually

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM
asianmama
have ur children baptised?????? i was baptised i think when i was 10.. do u do it earlier?
January 2nd, 2007, 04:28 AM
chloe82
That totally depends on your interpretation of the Bible on this issue and what denomination of church you attend....I grew up in the CRC and was baptized as an infant....then when you are in your teens usually you do Profession of Faith which is basically stating to the church verbally that you have accepted Jesus as your Saviour and that's how you gain membership to the church....currently my dh and I attend the Church of Christ and we had our two kids "dedicated" as infants, just basically us stating verbally that we plan to raise them in the faith, the church promises to help us, a prayer is said, etc...but they do baptism later in life, whenever you wish to accept. So I guess my kids will be baptized when they want to be. I don't really have strong feelings on when it should be done one way or the other....I think the decision in your heart is what matters and the baptism is just an outward reflection of that.
January 2nd, 2007, 04:55 AM
Veteran
I was 12 - baptized after a decision and confession of faith. I was dedicated as a baby but we don't do infant baptism - we just do full-immersion baptism of people who are old enough to make the decision.
January 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I was raised in the church of Christ. We believe that infants/children are pure and need no salvation. After reaching an accountable age, baptism is required for salvation. An accountable age is when a child is able to understand right/wrong and able to understand why Jesus died...usually between 10-15 years old. People who are born mentally retarded will always have the mind of a child, so they will never reach that age. They'll always be pure in God's sight.
January 2nd, 2007, 07:42 AM
chloe82
Quote:
I was raised in the church of Christ. We believe that infants/children are pure and need no salvation. After reaching an accountable age, baptism is required for salvation. An accountable age is when a child is able to understand right/wrong and able to understand why Jesus died...usually between 10-15 years old. People who are born mentally retarded will always have the mind of a child, so they will never reach that age. They'll always be pure in God's sight.[/b]
REALLY??? I've only been attending the COC since last summer, but that's not what I have heard taught at this one anyways....more along the lines that baptism is great if you want to be baptized as a display to God and others of your choice, but it's not that it determines your salvation. Is that part of the church doctrine, or what you heard taught in your specific church?? our pastor actually did a sermon on it recently and never said anything about baptism being required for salvation. And doesn't the Bible say that EVERYone is in need of salvation??
I'm not trying to get into a hardcore debate here, just curious what you've been taught from a COC perspective.
January 2nd, 2007, 07:42 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I won't decide when my daughter is baptized. I think it has to be a personal decision after a profession of faith of Jesus as your savior. I was 7 when I did this and it was my own personal decision.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

January 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I don't decide when my children will be baptized. After they make a decision to ask Jesus into their heart and get saved, then they will make the decision to be baptized.

My 6 yr old was baptized when he was 5 years old. He wanted to get saved all on his own. He actually brought up getting baptized on a Sunday morning and was baptized that night..

It depends on what you believe in and what your doctrine at your church membership states.

January 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I was raised in the church of Christ. We believe that infants/children are pure and need no salvation. After reaching an accountable age, baptism is required for salvation. An accountable age is when a child is able to understand right/wrong and able to understand why Jesus died...usually between 10-15 years old. People who are born mentally retarded will always have the mind of a child, so they will never reach that age. They'll always be pure in God's sight.[/b]
REALLY??? I've only been attending the COC since last summer, but that's not what I have heard taught at this one anyways....more along the lines that baptism is great if you want to be baptized as a display to God and others of your choice, but it's not that it determines your salvation. Is that part of the church doctrine, or what you heard taught in your specific church?? our pastor actually did a sermon on it recently and never said anything about baptism being required for salvation. And doesn't the Bible say that EVERYone is in need of salvation??
I'm not trying to get into a hardcore debate here, just curious what you've been taught from a COC perspective.
[/b]
There are several types of churches with "church of Christ" in their name. You're attending a different one than mine. Mine is extremely conservative. We use only the Bible as our guide. We don't have creed books, pastors, regional leaders, social events, instrumental music, orphanages, or anything of that nature. If we have qualified men, we have elders and deacons as outlined in Timothy, but even that isn't a paid position. It's just an added responsibility that those men choose to take on if they are fit to do so according to the scripture. My church was started on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2 when the first members were baptized into Christ's body... i.e. "the church." There are many, many localized congregations around the world, but we do not have a universal heirarchy. Each church answers directly to their own leadership and to God. We all strive to teach the same thing by studying the scripture ourselves.
January 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
we dedicate our children as we do not believe that children have chosen to sin. They have been born into sin, but they do not know any better. Once they get to an age of accountability, and that varies from child to child. Some are more mature like dinamommy and get done early on as their own decision, and some do not get done until they are closer to their teens.

January 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm pretty much in agreeance w/you all. My children were all dedicated at 3 months of age, w/us standing up and making a promise to God that we would raise them as christians. Being baptized is only after you've accepted Christ, its a personal decision. My 9 year has been wanting to get baptized but I'm making her read her bible more and know more about it before she actually gets baptized. I was baptized 2x. Once as a child after I accepted Christ for the first time and then a 2nd as an adult, after I had backslid and re-accepted Christ and started a new christian life.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Miss.Tee
Quote:
I don't decide when my children will be baptized. After they make a decision to ask Jesus into their heart and get saved, then they will make the decision to be baptized.[/b]
The same goes for us with Rylin.
January 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My children were dedicated as babies. They will be baptized after they have accepted Christ as their savior!
January 3rd, 2007, 07:08 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
Quote:
I won't decide when my daughter is baptized. I think it has to be a personal decision after a profession of faith of Jesus as your savior. I was 7 when I did this and it was my own personal decision.[/b]
I couldn't agree more. I was raised in a christian home, where my father was a pastor. I wasn't saved until I was 17 and wasn't baptized til I was 19.

January 3rd, 2007, 09:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I belong to the CRC, so you can probably guess that all 5 of my kids were baptized as infants. I was baptized as an infant as well, and did profession of faith when I was 19.

We've discussed this at lenght before, and it's not a salvation issue, so each to their own.
January 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Quote:
We've discussed this at lenght before, and it's not a salvation issue, so each to their own.[/b]
You're right, we have discussed this before. But to some people - self included - it IS a salvation issue. Just wanted to clarify that.
January 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM
proudmomto4boys!'s Avatar no clue what I am doing!
you all have very interesting beliefs but to me after reading all the post it seems everyone agrees that it should be a choice for your child not something you do for them, even if you believe baptism is a salvation issue. Its amazing how many different religions there is but somehow they seem to agree in some way. I have dedicated my boys you know stand in front of the church promise I will raise them in the Lord but they have not been baptised yet I believe my boys need to understand the reason for baptism or it wont mean nothing to them except their pastor dunking them under water and we all know it means soo much more.

Isaiah 9yrs old,
Jeremiah 6yrs old,
Abraham 3yrs old,
Samuel 21mos old

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search